Wii picky about SD cards?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Harsky, Apr 20, 2008.

Apr 20, 2008

Wii picky about SD cards? by Harsky at 7:02 PM (1,350 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I don't have much SD cards since they're all relegated to either on the DS or digital camera but when I tried to put the digital camera one into my Wii, it gave a message saying it's not readable (it's a little known brand). Then I tried a Canon SD card which came with the camera but that also didn't work. My micro SD card along with the adapter also doesn't work and also my dad's Sandisk 1gb SD card which he uses in his camera.

They're all under 2gb so I know that's not the issue but I still don't know why every card I tried failed. Is this their way of telling me to buy the "official" Wii SD cards?

2. squirt1000

Banned squirt1000 Would rather have a cup of Tea!

United Kingdom
    Odd problem, Ive tried a wii branded sandisk 1gb and and my 2gb £6.99 sandisk sd from play.com and both are fine! My 2gb sandisk isnt wii branded but works fine [​IMG]

3. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    But is it normal for something like this to happen? I'd be happy to buy another SD card but I want to know that it's an SD card problem and not a bigger problem

4. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    No that isn't normal. Maybe some dust on your Inserting part?

5. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Just tried ANOTHER SD card that I borrowed. Stll nothing.

But it could be because it's a Sandisk Extreme III. Not that it mentions it's an SDHC anywhere but I'm still stumped as to why it refuses to accept any SD car i throw at it.

6. squirt1000

United Kingdom
    That defo isnt right! Ive never tried any fancy ass SD's in mine so cant really comment on that. Although I wouldnt think it would make much difference as long as they are not SDHC which you say they arent [​IMG]

7. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I guess I never gave much thought about SD cards on the Wii since I never wanted to use it for photos but with the new VC hack, I had to give it a go.

So far, the ones that wouldn't work is

1gb Kingston micro SD with adapter
    1gb Kingston mini SD with adapter
    16mb Canon SD card
    2gb Eagletec SD card
    1gb Sandisk Extreme III SD card

5 cards not working. I really hope that it's not because my SD slot is broken but I guess it can't hurt to order an official one with the Wii mark to see if it works.

8. squirt1000

United Kingdom
    I hope its not your Wii SD slot, That would be a major bummer! Is your Wii modded?? If so does your sync button work? if not it could be that its not connected properly when you put your console back together [​IMG]

9. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Nope. Nothing is modded. Anyways I might as well order a Wii SD card. Small price to pay if I'm going to use it for Zelda hack.

10. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    So I ordered one of the special Sandisk SD memory cards and lo and behold, it still gives me an error message. While I never gave muh thought about the SD aspect of it, is it really worth the bother of sending my Wii in to get fixed?