ROM Hack Wii on New 3DS?

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The emulation of the 3ds,the maximum reach is to psx and n64 emulation. Dont dream to play wii,gamecube,ps2,ps3,saturn and dreamcast because those systems are imposible to emulate for the limit hardware of the 3ds.

Last edited by JaNDeRPeiCH,

NelGibs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, if you want to play Wii games so bad maybe it'd be great to get a Wii. It is quite cheap nowadays and you can play many games in it from N64 to Gamecube. Dolphin on Android is not great, even SD 888 can't get full speed on many games. I could get one with a Wii Motion Plus controller for $50. I'm just focusing on GBA, NDS, and 3ds games right now maybe I'll get a Wii years later.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Yes, however, that thread didn't mention using a Luma firm/payload to do it, so I figured I'd ask, as I don't know much about homebrew/emulator making.

It is Not possible, common sense, how will you emulate a 729 mhz power PC CPU, 243 mhz GPU, 96MB of ram, io, etc, on a 268mhz arm11, and 134 mhz arm9, with min of 128 MB of ram, and a 133 mhz GPU

Any newer emulators would have to require a new 3ds, if it would even be possible

The 3ds is already in a sense a portable wii(u)

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ik this has probably been asked before, but would it be possible to run Wii games on a New 3DS, either with a homescreen .cia or with a Luma firm that runs before most of the 3DS stuff?
The Wii is PowerPC, the 3DS is ARM, and not only that, it's an ancient version of ARM with much lower performance than modern smartphones, even at similar clock speeds. Those are two completely different architectures, which means you'd be dealing with emulation. And even the Switch struggles with Wii emulation, so how do you expect the 3DS to be able to?

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 and ps1 would be the most modern consoles it can emulate, even then a new3ds will pretty much be a future requirement

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Remasters and ports are not emulation.

Well...Depends how you define the scope of emulation

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well...Depends how you define the scope of emulation
No, it doesn't. Remasters and ports are objectively not emulation. They are native games. Porting a game means recompiling it for the target architecture. A remaster is just a port that has new assets that look better than the original game.

Emulation, in contrast, uses the original game binary and assets meant for a different architecture and translates the CPU and GPU instructions one by one into something the physical hardware can understand. This is an extremely CPU-intensive process that adds a huge amount of overhead, which is why emulation requires physical hardware an order of magnitude faster than the hardware you're emulating. Since different architectures have different IPC (instructions per cycle), comparing raw clock speeds is often an inaccurate measure of whether one system is fast enough to emulate another.

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it doesn't. Remasters and ports are objectively not emulation. They are native games. Porting a game means recompiling it for the target architecture. A remaster is just a port that has new assets that look better than the original game.

Emulation, in contrast, uses the original game binary and assets meant for a different architecture and translates the CPU and GPU instructions one by one into something the physical hardware can understand. This is an extremely CPU-intensive process that adds a huge amount of overhead, which is why emulation requires physical hardware an order of magnitude faster than the hardware you're emulating. Since different architectures have different IPC (instructions per cycle), comparing raw clock speeds is often an inaccurate measure of whether one system is fast enough to emulate another.
Screenshot_20210627-183431.png

populustree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first, this thread looks silly. I thought op was trolling.

She or he is 13. populustree is a child, she or he does not understand.
They* are 13, and I don't know too terribly much about emulation

Don’t use the GitHub. Join their discord, there’s a more updated version there.
does Universal-Updater download from Github?

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Ik this has probably been asked before, but would it be possible to run Wii games on a New 3DS, either with a homescreen .cia or with a Luma firm that runs before most of the 3DS stuff?

That's with all the 3DS stuff running in the background, which is why I mentioned using a Luma firm that starts before some of the 3DS stuff. Would that make it theoretically possible?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It can, I can run most N64 games on it
You gotta be kidding. No. The same reason you can't emulate PS3 on a PS1.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof