Gaming Wii - No Boot, No BootMii

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, just got a Wii last week and got a successful softmod installed on it. Everything was going great until I tried to power it on last night - I hit the power button (light was red) and it immediately flashed to yellow and then off with no LED lit.

If I unplug the power cable and back in, the red LED comes back red but same behavior. I read online and tried the unplug all cables and let the power brick sit, but still the same issue.

I can't get to BootMii because it powers off so quickly so I'm thinking is hardware at this point. I'm going to take it over a buddies today to try his cables but wanted to ask here to see if this has happened to anyone else or get some other thoughts.

The last thing I installed was DiosMios and IOS249. Unit was still restarting without problem before then. Is there any hope for this guy? Hopefully just a bad power cord?

HNKii

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
DM and IOS249 won't even brick the system menu, so it's less possible to break the lower levels of the Wii.
From what I read in Wiibrew, the system will hang if boot1 or boot2 is corrupted, but I don't think the light will ever go out. It should be a hardware power problem.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks HNKii, that's what I suspect. After some more reading it looks like it could be a possible fan or BT module issue. Seems the system is having a POST problem. Power seems good as the light stays steady red. I think I'll try the BT module replacement before investing since RV-001 units are on the pricey side right now.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I got my bluetooth module today and switched it out - Still the same symptoms. I now have a proper screwdriver to take it apart however so perhaps I will find a loose cable which would be excellent. If all else, I can see if any solder points came undone and try to re-solder - I could use the practice anyway :)

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't suspect the Wi-Fi or BT module, since those usually are checked after the boot stages and before the system menu, and there's no weird LED off thing.
First thing I would check would be the fans. Get a compressed air fan and blow out the insides of the Wii. Buy yourself a tri-wing if you don't have one and open the Wii up. Try to get all the dust out of there. Check if the fans spin during the few seconds the wii is on.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't suspect the Wi-Fi or BT module, since those usually are checked after the boot stages and before the system menu, and there's no weird LED off thing.
First thing I would check would be the fans. Get a compressed air fan and blow out the insides of the Wii. Buy yourself a tri-wing if you don't have one and open the Wii up. Try to get all the dust out of there. Check if the fans spin during the few seconds the wii is on.

Yeah I just got a tri-wing in the mail today. I already blew a crap ton before it came in, and it wasn't BT because I could turn it on with a wiimote (silly me). I am suspecting the fan next. The thing won't even stay on for a full second. It gets power, LED is red, but as soon as I hit the button it turns yellow and then off, and stays off until the power source is re-set.

I verified the power cable is good by using a friends unit, and plugged my unit into their cord with the same behavior as well. Kind of bummed as I had this thing fully working and softmodded, and the first night I have people over it goes bust.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After some more reading - Is there really an issue with WiiConnect24 at all? The system was in standby mode after softmodding and I'm wondering if that potentially caused the CPU to burn up?

I'm new to this scene so just need to understand what kind of beast I'm dealing with. I found some units on ebay which I'll probably pick up. Unfortunate but I think that's where this is leading.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
WiiConnect24 doesn't even operate anymore, and it puts the Wii into a very, very low power state.
Honestly with a console as cheap as it is a model from eBay might be the way to go.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that's what I'll do. I found a lister with multiple working units for cheap, just cosmetic damage. Just unfortunate as I've already sunk quite a bit of $$ on new controllers, accessories, ect. Another $50 makes these systems seem like a real money pit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: Supposedly Bank isn't going down.