Gaming Wii N00b Questions...

1ronlung

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK. I've moderated two PSX/PS2 forums in the past and am used to being the one answering n00b questions, not asking them
smile.gif

Am currently waiting for a brand new chipped Wii in the post. Have done a lot of goggle'ing, but have a couple of n00b questions I'm too embarassed to ask, but here we go ...

a) I've seen memory cards available for it. I'm hopeing these aren't mandatory.. You just need them to transport games to other Wiis ?

Does a nunchukka control come with the sports pack ?

c) Has anyone here burned a copy of Super Smash Bros for a PAL machine with a D2C chip ? Have been using imgburn for all my other games, but this is the first NTSC AND DL game I've had to burn. I know about the layer break. Someone on another forum claimed as long as you have up to date f/ware, you can let it update on a PAL console with no brickage. I would *much* rather run it through brick blocker if poss.

d) I know most basics - brickage being the most prominant. Anything else you'd like to add?

e) Oh.. who did you get your wii chipped by ? If it takes much longer, I wanna go to another company (been waiting two weeks and then some), but don't know who's reliable. A guarantee offered would be nice. Would use gamefreax but they never answer their fuxking phones, which puts me off. Am based in Ireland, so anywhere in Eurpope with English speakers is cool ;-)

Thanks,
ironlung

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
The memory card to save your games is built in. It's part of all the other blocks for channels, vc or wiiware games etc. I think you get something like over 2000.

You get a nunchuk with the wii, yes.

I have a d2ckey pal, you must use the layer break for brawl or else d2ckey won't run the game. I'm pretty sure I just removed the update from the disk. You'll just get dupe channels if you don't.

Also on brawl, you must run it in 60hz mode, you change that in the wii settings from the wii menu. You'll get a black screen for a moment as it loads but that's fine, it will load eventually. You also must turn off deflicker in game on a pal wii or else it's all slow motion.

1ronlung

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you Sir! quick response appreciated.

I've seen dual channels mentioned previously.. Any chance of a quick definition ?

Still looking for good premodders in Europe if anyone has anything to add ...

Thanks so far,
ironlung

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
1ronlung said:
Thank you Sir! quick response appreciated.

I've seen dual channels mentioned previously.. Any chance of a quick definition ?

Still looking for good premodders in Europe if anyone has anything to add ...

Thanks so far,
ironlung

Dupes are nothing to worry about now, there's a dual channel remover. On your wii menu you have a news channel and a weather channel for reading the news and looking at the weather ;oD. When you update a pal wii with an update from a usa disk, it gives you another news channel and weather channel, unusable usa versions. Until recently, you had to put them on page 4 of the wii menu, out of the way but now there's an app to remove them.

I don't know about premodded but the first sticky on here http://www.disqworld.net/forums/nintendo-wii-f112.html has loads of wii modders. I got my wii modded by one of them. Have a read through, it's a big thread now.

1ronlung

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More n00bness still !

Have got a spare remote through ebay. No batteries came with. Do they come with the official kit ? Asuming they're rechargeable, I might splash out on a recharger stand. Will nunchucks charge themselves through offical wiimote ?

Shinster made a nice point about homebrew. I'm assuming some of it will sit in the wii so SD card isn't essential. If not, looks like my DS collection is about to be halved
tongue.gif
[EDIT].. It's ok.. have found FAQ on this. Am about to order a 2GB Kingston.. should do the job
smile.gif

Shit.. I'm 33 and like a kid at Christmas
tongue.gif
If I get half the amount of fun from a Wii that I've got from my DS should be good craic.

Have just found reputable looking site in France selling Wasabi pre-mods. It's prolly too early to ask 'cos only a few people have the chips. but are the rumours good or bad ? I love the idea of a dvd updateable mod, but the D2C seems to have been proven extremely reliable....

Thanks very much Hardcore for all your answers so far .. T'is appreciated !

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
1ronlung said:
More n00bness still !

Have got a spare remote through ebay. No batteries came with. Do they come with the official kit ? Asuming they're rechargeable, I might splash out on a recharger stand. Will nunchucks charge themselves through offical wiimote ?

Shinster made a nice point about homebrew. I'm assuming some of it will sit in the wii so SD card isn't essential. If not, looks like my DS collection is about to be halved
tongue.gif
[EDIT].. It's ok.. have found FAQ on this. Am about to order a 2GB Kingston.. should do the job
smile.gif

Shit.. I'm 33 and like a kid at Christmas
tongue.gif
If I get half the amount of fun from a Wii that I've got from my DS should be good craic.

Have just found reputable looking site in France selling Wasabi pre-mods. It's prolly too early to ask 'cos only a few people have the chips. but are the rumours good or bad ? I love the idea of a dvd updateable mod, but the D2C seems to have been proven extremely reliable....

Thanks very much Hardcore for all your answers so far .. T'is appreciated !

I bought a wii remote from Sainsburys not long ago and it came with batteries. When you buy a boxed wii you also get batteries, you must have bought one second hand. They're not rechargeable, I don't use rechargeables, I just buy a pack of AA's from the supermarket. The nunchuk doesn't have batteries, it uses the power from the wii remote once plugged in.

I'd buy a SD card if I was you, it makes installing homebrew, vc and stuff a lot easier and quicker.

I don't know anything about the wasabi but d2c has loaded everything I've thrown at it. There was a problem with Brawl initially until someone discovered it was a layer break problem, apart from that, it just works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.