Gaming Wii Motion Plus: your first impression

angelus73

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Played all three this weekend, love Tiger and GST, Virtua Tennis blows.

Not sure why people are bitching about the controls in GST it plays great, you can your shots with topspin and slice and its great to see the ball go where you hit it!

Tiger is the pick for me, with advance swing on it very very cool, I play real golf and when I play I sometime have an issue with getting my hands through the shot to early. The game recognised this perfectly and I had to concentrate to get my swing right. Very good reading of the hand postitions adds to this game.

Good so far, be nice to see a different type of game, Red Steel 2 maybe.

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the whole comment on realizing how GST plays is rediculous. I have to realize how a game plays and ignore whats on screen? What/

I haven't tried VT yet, but GST is way to buggy. Not good at all. Yes, I am sure I can "learn" how it plays. But after playing for 45 minutes, I got tired of recalibrating all the time.

And what is up with wind up mechanics? Game can't recognize a wind up to save it's life.

It's poor design as mentioned above. I am forced to keep telling myself, go back to center. Am I at center? Oh let me hit that. Wind up, what I didn't swing!!! It's funny how they chose McEnroe for you right off the bat, cause when I play this game, I want to trow my remote.

Normalboyninja

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Gabon
I played GST withour M+ and was very frustrated because i would always hit the ball out by a few feet. It was very hard because it was entirely timing based... with M+ it would almost always land in, and i could always hit it cross court. When I aim down the line, it works about 70% of the time.... i have to get the hang of it still. But M+ made a good first impression for me, even though I only played GST.

martin633

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I still need to try PGA with advanced swing on. Not at home right now, so can someone tell me whats different about that?

Btw. My arm still hurts after playing GST two days ago
tongue.gif

Snave2008

Trophies
Website
www.completelyfreewii.com
XP
Country
I played GST for a few days before the M+ was released over here in the UK last Friday and up until then I hadn't won a single game.

As soon as I attached the M+ though I have become unstoppable! I haven't had any calibration issues and about 95% of the time the ball does absolutely what I expect it too.

My only problem is the often questionable 'out' calls this game throws up. When I'm on online I transform into Mr McEnroe far too easily!

martin633

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
LOL! I had the same when i played online vs a mate (while skyping
wink.gif
). Btw: I love the fact you can play online (and the EA account thingy pwns).

razalom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there anyway to actually see if the WM+ is working? I am on 3.2E and cant really see a difference. It never comes up with the calibration part so cant tell if its ok and working.

Any ideas?

martin633

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you are talking about GST, I think you can see a difference when you move from forehand to backhand. With WM+, you will cee the character turn if you move from left to right. Without, you won't (if i remember correct).

With PGA you can see a lot of difference while playing disc golf (just remove WMP+ and check it out).

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I bought Motion Plus and played GST but my impressions aren't very good.

I was going in thinking that this would be one to one and the game would know where my controller is in relation to my body. Nope. I was hoping I would have to do real swings rather than just waggle. Nope. Tray randomly waggling the control with motion plus attached, it still works. The orientation I hold the controller when I hit the ball doesn't aim the ball on the court as it should. My character also seems to have a lot of troubles figuring out if I'm doing a forehand or a backhand swing, it's a bit ridiculous.

I hope it's the game rather than Motion Plus itself that's failing me. So far I'm not very impressed. There's marginally more control than normal but nothing worth buying the device for. Still haven't played Tiger Woods but I've heard that it's better.

I want control more like what Sony have done with their waggle controller, true positioning in the room and orientation.

OmerMe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
Will a NTSC WMP work with a PAL Wii+Wiimote?I'll get one but I wanna know if it metters.. And will I get that jacket with the WMP?
Sorry if it's off topic, but this is kinda the official WMP thread xP

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Opium said:
I bought Motion Plus and played GST but my impressions aren't very good.

I was going in thinking that this would be one to one and the game would know where my controller is in relation to my body. Nope. I was hoping I would have to do real swings rather than just waggle. Nope. Tray randomly waggling the control with motion plus attached, it still works. The orientation I hold the controller when I hit the ball doesn't aim the ball on the court as it should. My character also seems to have a lot of troubles figuring out if I'm doing a forehand or a backhand swing, it's a bit ridiculous.

I hope it's the game rather than Motion Plus itself that's failing me. So far I'm not very impressed. There's marginally more control than normal but nothing worth buying the device for. Still haven't played Tiger Woods but I've heard that it's better.

I want control more like what Sony have done with their waggle controller, true positioning in the room and orientation.

I had similar experiences, read back in this thread. You have to recalibrate betweeen shots (return to the center position). There is a video of this on here. Also, there are some tips I wrote, I think on page 3 about the best way to play this.

Actually found my tips:

- First of all, try the game without the M+. Get use to that first. Play a good couple of matches. Then throw in the M+.
- Grip the remote with 2 hands instead of 1 hand to limit your motions. This will help you aim better to where you are hitting. Get use to that first, and you can then move on to one hand.
- Don't rely on your character. The character is not 1:1 with your actions.
- You can do your swing before the ball gets to you. Your character will mimic your moves AFTERWARD. This took a while to figure out.
- Jump back to a central position as mentioned in the video as soon as you finish your motion. Failure to do so will mess up your next shot.

Unfortunately, this game sucks when you first play it. Once you figure out how the game wants to be played, you will see that the game is awesome, and does feel like you are "really" swinging.

sonny615

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
OmerMe said:
Will a NTSC WMP work with a PAL Wii+Wiimote?I'll get one but I wanna know if it metters.. And will I get that jacket with the WMP?
Sorry if it's off topic, but this is kinda the official WMP thread xP

The region of the M+ doesn't mater. I bought one in Canada and it works great on my PAL Wii.
It comes with the silicone protection too.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I thought the WM+ in GST was crap until half an hour ago when I discovered the Nunchuck/WM+ combination. Wow! You can really play some EVIL TENNIS that way. When serving immediately go to the net and flick your wrist either right or left when the ball returns. Always works! Your opponents won't like you though
laugh.gif

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I bought a WM+ (a couple of them, actually) and tried it out with Tiger Woods. It's really nice and very responsive, especially with the putting.

I'm excited to see what else comes out with WM+ compatibilities! I saw the trailer for Red Steel 2 and that looks nice, too.

wichoxp

Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Hi.

Have somebody tried WM+ with non-compatible games like "Wii Sports" (wii boxing, wii tennis...) ?

Did they work better or have an improved motion?

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, absolutely no difference. It's like having a nunchuck plugged in a game that doesn't support it. It's just not going to do anything. Think of it as added information being sent to the Wii. If the game doesn't ask for, doesn't know what it is, doesn't know how to interpret, and doesn't care about that added data.. it's not going to do anything with it.

wichoxp

Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Ossot said:
No, absolutely no difference. It's like having a nunchuck plugged in a game that doesn't support it. It's just not going to do anything. Think of it as added information being sent to the Wii. If the game doesn't ask for, doesn't know what it is, doesn't know how to interpret, and doesn't care about that added data.. it's not going to do anything with it.
Thanks for the data, but did you tested WM+ with "Wii Sports"?
I'm looking for people who already tested it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv