Hacking Wii Menu 4.2 Released

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
somekool said:
Hi had no choice but to upgrade in order to by wii shopping credits.
as soon as I was entering the wii shopping channel is was forcing me to upgrade or quit.

after the upgrade, it's like I dont have a chip anymore.

my wii is japanese and even original US are not working anymore.

if only it would have clean up the duplicate channels at the same time...

any solution ? can I revert back ? do I need new chip ? what is solution ?

please help

Edit: I wish I could backup all my save and channel at once. then format the whole thing. factory default and stuff. and upgrade again the wiibrew-way.
there's a thread on how to work around the 4.2 update. Once cIOS is installed it should be possible to install system menu 4.1 again.

And before anyone says anything, the new boot2 won't brick you unless you downgrade to 3.3 or lower.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My fault that I didn't read EVERYthing, lol. So I used the new Hackmii installer and all went well. Then stupidly installed 4.2 from Ninty thinking that everything would be fine because I used the new Hackmii. The part I didn't read was that it doesn't prevent your cIOS to stop working... making my NeoGamma and GX Loader unusable.

Not a big deal though, as I made a nand backup after the new Hackmii install, but before the 4.2 update. So now I'm back to 4.1 but with the new HBC, Bootmii, and boot 2v4.
smile.gif

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D34DL1N3R said:
My fault that I didn't read EVERYthing, lol. So I used the new Hackmii installer and all went well. Then stupidly installed 4.2 from Ninty thinking that everything would be fine because I used the new Hackmii. The part I didn't read was that it doesn't prevent your cIOS to stop working... making my NeoGamma and GX Loader unusable.

Not a big deal though, as I made a nand backup after the new Hackmii install, but before the 4.2 update. So now I'm back to 4.1 but with the new HBC, Bootmii, and boot 2v4.
smile.gif

Yeah. If you install official v4.2U, it installs all of those stubs...effectively overwriting your cIOSes. You shouldn't update to v4.2 that way. If you really wanted to update, Waninkoko's firmware installer is a lot safer, as it does not install those stubs nor does it install Nintendo's boot2.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it bad to have the new boot2? I noticed that it stayed as boot2v4 even after installing my nand backup. I figure it's ok as everything still works just as it did before.

EDIT: And yes.. I MUST update.
tongue.gif
I'm one of those if it's new I gotta have it people. But I'll wait a week or two until trying again, that way everything should be taken care of.

ZMan13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!
I have WIIKEY 1, 4.2u.
Now my PAL backups do not work.
What do I need to do?
Any help or directing me to the right place will be appreciated. Many thanks.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D34DL1N3R said:
Is it bad to have the new boot2? I noticed that it stayed as boot2v4 even after installing my nand backup.

Nintendo's boot2 simply overwrites and erases bootmii that you already installed into boot2 previously (if you were lucky to have an older console and be able to install it to boot2) So, if you have bootmii in boot2 when you perform an official update, not only your cIOS slots are erased, but bootmii in boot2 is as well. Only way after that to get it back is to use the Indy exploit and boot the new hackmii installer. If you use Waninkoko's update on the other hand, it never touches boot2 (he omitted that part of the update luckily) and even after going to 4.2, bootmii will still be there just in case you want to restore a nand.

phantagom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
IF YOU HAVE A REGION CONVERTED Wii DONT UPGRADE IT WILL BRICK

Also with the alternative ways to upgrade, there are many post about people who upgrade from a jpn or kor Wii and get a 003 Error brick screen.

Some people here claim this has nothing todo with the 4.2 update this is not true. Just look on the forums and google for the error, you will see 90% of those people have a region converted Wii. So Ninty does check if you changed the region setting on your Wii.

http://qisahn.com/blog/2009/09/nintendo-42...te-bricks-wiis/

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=182...5&p=2293308

milcoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you have a softmod wii and using v4.1 or lower:

1) Run Hackmii v0.5 and update Homebrew Channel, DVDx and BootMii.

Wenn saying "no vunerable IOS found".
You can fix that quick by running DOP-IOSv8 and installing IOS30.
Press "-" to install previous version 1040.
(It is an old IOS for system menus 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4....and will not do anything to your system. But, it'll allow the hackmii installer to continue)

2) Run Firmware Updater 4.2.

All cIOSes and boot2 version should remain.

If you don't update Homebrew Channel and DVDx first, you will have to use the SmashStack or Indiana Pwns exploit to restore them!

panmusic

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So,the only possible way to update with Nintendo in the future is to wait Waninkoko or Hermes to release a new IOS exploit that is currently unaffected by Nintendo,if I understand correctly.And what happens to disc updates from now on if I use Waninkoko's 4.2 updater?Is it possible,say,the New Super Mario Bros Wii to detect the unofficial update and prompt for another official one?Or the current updater can overcome this?

Pakatus

Trophies
XP
Country
Seems like ppl over a spanish forum are reporting bricks, cause:

"LA VERSIÓN 4.2 ESTÁ DEJANDO WIIS CON BRICKS POR CAUSA DE UN GRAN BUG DE NINTENDO EN EL BOOT2. SE RECOMIENDA UTILIZAR EL "4.2 SHOP INSTALLER" DE MARk EN VEZ DE ESTA APLICACIÓN"

"This version 4.2 its "bricking" some wii's cause of a Nintendo bug in the boot2. Recomended to be used the 4.2 shop installer over this"

So it's a dangerous firmware?

Questions:

1 - Does Wanin Updater overwrites the boot2 section with Ninty buggy code?
2 - Does the new Homebrew Channel, launches correctly the homebrew apps as loaders and "quite older apps"?
3 - Thank you for answer?
smile.gif

Kovani

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pakatus said:
Seems like ppl over a spanish forum are reporting bricks, cause:

"LA VERSIÓN 4.2 ESTÁ DEJANDO WIIS CON BRICKS POR CAUSA DE UN GRAN BUG DE NINTENDO EN EL BOOT2. SE RECOMIENDA UTILIZAR EL "4.2 SHOP INSTALLER" DE MARk EN VEZ DE ESTA APLICACIÓN"

"This version 4.2 its "bricking" some wii's cause of a Nintendo bug in the boot2. Recomended to be used the 4.2 shop installer over this"

So it's a dangerous firmware?

Questions:

1 - Does Wanin Updater overwrites the boot2 section with Ninty buggy code?
2 - Does the new Homebrew Channel, launches correctly the homebrew apps as loaders and "quite older apps"?
3 - Thank you for answer? :)

1. Waninkoko said that his updater will only update IOSes.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=182...p;#entry2293972

2. The HBC has no problem at all to launch applications, but sometimes you'll not be able to exit to loader with some applications. If you really have a problem, you can always try http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=182751

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
milcoi said:
If you have a softmod wii and using v4.1 or lower:

1) Run Hackmii v0.5 and update Homebrew Channel, DVDx and BootMii.

Wenn saying "no vunerable IOS found".
You can fix that quick by running DOP-IOSv8 and installing IOS30.
Press "-" to install previous version 1040.
(It is an old IOS for system menus 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4....and will not do anything to your system. But, it'll allow the hackmii installer to continue)

2) Run Firmware Updater 4.2.

All cIOSes and boot2 version should remain.

If you don't update Homebrew Channel and DVDx first, you will have to use the SmashStack or Indiana Pwns exploit to restore them!

The least thing you could have done was quote my post, instead of copy and pasting it to make it look like it was YOU that wrote this!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: