Hacking Wii Menu 4.2 Released

donks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
TheDarkSeed said:
donks said:
Since the update, I can't play NTSC backups on my PAL Wii with Wiikey 2 installed even though it has "Region Free" selected in the chip bios.
Ah yes, What about the modchip factor?

PAL backups work fine though but I find it strange that NTSC does not.

donks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
triassic911 said:
I bet people will still update out of curiosity and post some bullshit about how their brother/mother/sister/father/grandma/etc.... updated.

I updated because I was curious to see what would happen with my Wiikey 2 since it's supposed to be infallible against updates.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
bazamuffin said:
arctic_flame said:
bazamuffin said:
TyrianCubed said:
the one thing that surprised me was the deletion of Bootmii...I thought (and probably read somewhere too) that being in boot2 it was undeletable by updates.
we'll see what the coder will come up with to save our arses
tongue.gif
In the meantime I'm not updating of course.

That was my understanding too, as it boots up well before the system menu and updates can't touch anything before sysmenu process.

If Twiizers can write to it, why can't nintendo?

It's not write-protected or anything.

I was referring to the standard system update process, it doesn't writing anything into Boot2 does it (feel free to correct me)? Is having write protection (controlled by you) the next step for Hackmii? Possibly to avoid/deflect any attempts by future system updates that could overwrite Boot2?

well, there is no "standard" update process: boot2 is just like any other IOS, it can be updated and TeamTwiizer already said it more than once, there is nothing they can do (yet) to prevent this.

when Boot2 is updated, BootMii is simply overwritten because it IS part of Boot2, just like Preloader is "deleted" when you update the system menu.
off course, reinstalling BootMii over the new Boot2 should work, but we need a new installer compatible with the new Boot2 version

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lostdwarf said:
Team Tweezers have always said nintendo could patch boot2 whenever they wanted and kill bootmii.. AND they expected it in the last update but it was not implamented.

I am more supprised that there is nothing in this update except piracy fix's. no menu improvements, no system improvements.
It would have caught more people out if they added extra functionallity.
To be honest though guys, isn't it nice knowing that Nintendo pay attention to the scene! i mean they had to follow at least this website pretty close to fix ALL of those problems in one big update, covering preloader, bootmii, hbc, cios's, ios, stubs, trucha bug, banner bomb. at least they are not completely useless at there jobs.

now...

bets on!
I bet 1 week and 5 days till a workaround comes out for the unfortunate updaters.
I bet 10 flat!

slingshot27

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
BBking83 said:
I've read a few questions about modchips. I have a Wiikey V1 and it no longer works. I had to install the IOS37, 38, 53 & 55 to get rid of the "An error has occurred. Please eject and power off" message (when I was on 4.0, of course).

So, I spose the old the chip, the most likely it'll no longer work.

If anyone does want some testing, I can be a guinea pig!!!!
biggrin.gif

I don't want to hear "why did you update?" and stuff like that. I just did. My plan was to update officially and use TBR, if needed (I knew it was safe to update to 4.1). So, I did it and no HBC. I come here read aaalllllll the news. It was posted 1 hour ago. If I checked here first, I wouldn't have done it.

And the Indy Pwns save doesn't copy. Neither does my actual save...

I have a wiikey 1 too... I did not update but I am wondering if wiikey will bring out a firmware update for the Wiikey 1 so it can be used again.

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
slingshot27 said:
I have a wiikey 1 too... I did not update but I am wondering if wiikey will bring out a firmware update for the Wiikey 1 so it can be used again.
No, they won't. I'm not too bothered. If an exploit comes out, all good. If not, I'll play my originals.

Wiikey V1 was pretty much abandoned months before the V2 came out.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Shinigami Kiba said:
I just hope Fragile, Tales of Graces and FF Crystal Bearers don't for some reason require an update and work fine on my 4.0E Wii and other good games too.
The scariest part about this is that it removes bootmii, Nintendo sure did their homework this time around.

nintendo are pissed! and anyway just run the games through a usb loader and it bypasses any updates in the game.

ToneEQ

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm just surprised it's taken Nintendo so long to fix everything. They've had countless opportunities to block everything we use all in one fell swoop.

But I doubt it will be long before we have another HackMii and HBC installer. CIOS I'm not sure about, but I've got a cheap copy of Lego Indiana Jones on the way from ebay before the rush starts!

yabel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
donks said:
triassic911 said:
I bet people will still update out of curiosity and post some bullshit about how their brother/mother/sister/father/grandma/etc.... updated.

I updated because I was curious to see what would happen with my Wiikey 2 since it's supposed to be infallible against updates.
Its always smart to be one of the 1st to install updates. You get to be the 1st one there waitin on a fix. I say ok there is a update that really hurts exploits, Ive knew that they were going to really address this issue at some point. If you have 1/2 a brain about a modded console your 1st step would have been to turn off updates and use preloader or other apps that block updates. If you didnt you probably shouldnt have ever been running a modded console in the 1st place.
Thx for the posts and info that I have learned from what N has done. Give it time and let the wheels turn on the folks that know the system menu and can find a exploit. GL guys I will be watching and enjoying my 4.0U and its exploits.

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
ToneEQ said:
Lego Indiana Jones on the way from ebay before the rush starts!
You can't copy the save. A message says "save/file may not have been copied" but it makes the sound as if it has been copied over. I can't even get my original save back on there. :/

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
indiana pwns works but bannerbomb is dead the stacksmash works

why would nintendo wanna kill bootmii itts protection well im not updating intill there new exploits

ToneEQ

Trophies
XP
Country
BBking83 said:
ToneEQ said:
Lego Indiana Jones on the way from ebay before the rush starts!
You can't copy the save. A message says "save/file may not have been copied" but it makes the sound as if it has been copied over. I can't even get my original save back on there. :/

wtf.gif

Damn...

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
slingshot27 said:
BBking83 said:
I've read a few questions about modchips. I have a Wiikey V1 and it no longer works. I had to install the IOS37, 38, 53 & 55 to get rid of the "An error has occurred. Please eject and power off" message (when I was on 4.0, of course).

biggrin.gif

I don't want to hear "why did you update?" and stuff like that. I just did. My plan was to update officially and use TBR, if needed (I knew it was safe to update to 4.1). So, I did it and no HBC. I come here read aaalllllll the news. It was posted 1 hour ago. If I checked here first, I wouldn't have done it.

What on earth you guys are doing Mod Chips are still working fine !

slingshot27

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
nIxx said:
slingshot27 said:
BBking83 said:

biggrin.gif

wiikey version 1 not
frown.gif

Mailenste

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nIxx said:
Yeah, lol. It was a pretty amusing read until now. I can see already ppl posting news like "Wii modchips work no longer with 4.2". This is getting better and better
biggrin.gif

QUOTE(slingshot27 @ Sep 29 2009, 02:09 PM) wiikey version 1 not
frown.gif
I have a Wiikey 1.

--=ZerO=--

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
TheDarkSeed said:
Looking at Nintendo's history leads me to believe they couldn't have done this by themselves...

I'd rather play my gba than that piece of shit 4.2 anyway. (update this assholes!
gbasp.gif
)

Wii's IOS is made by Broadcom...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol