1. maurimauri29

maurimauri29 Newbie
    Newcomer

Hi all,
    thanks to the tutorial at the beginning of the thread and the useful informations provided here I have Linux running nicely on my Wii, with Xfce4, wi fi working well.
    So I was wondering...can I install samba to connect to my networked computers (one linux and one windows box) and stream my mp3 collection across my WiFi network?
    Secondly...I tried to play some MP3s directly from the SD card and, no matter which media player I use (I tried Mplayer, XMMS and even the console-based mpg123) I get a crackling sound. The music files are fine as I played them on my computer and there is no crackles to be heard. Any idea what may be causing this and what could I do to fix it?
    Is there any way to access the volume and sound settings? I mean not those of the media player but the Linux ones?
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Mauri

2. rant

rant Member
    Newcomer

Nauru
    Exactly the same behavior, associating sometimes takes like maybe 15 seconds but it will eventually associate. I see the typing lag in SSH window as well. Wifi in other homebrew apps works correctly as well. My setup mikep5 and etch/XWhiite 0.2 (exactly according to the tutorial on first post). Distance from the router does not make any difference.

edit: Tried with mikep4 kernel --> the same behavior

3. lkrea

lkrea Newbie
    Newcomer

Italy
    Hi everyone,

I have some problems with flash/gnash setup. Anyone can tell me how to setup correctly?

Thanks in advance

4. sge

sge Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I installed whiite 1.10 (based on debian lenny 5.0) and launch with MIKEp5 on a separate SD card and moved my Wii to the kitchen TV (a few meters from the router).

The wifi connection is much more stable. Seems that it was just really sensitive to interference I guess. Interestingly, if I move the Wii from the spacious table it is sitting on to the (relatively) cramped TV's shelf (about 30 cm away) the wifi connection drops out, and I can't re-establish a connection.

But now atleast I got a nice ssh+screen/rtorrent setup going (also scheduling downloads to take advantage of offpeak quota [​IMG]).

5. Rockout

Rockout Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks for putting all this together, elmurato. xwhiite0.2 is awesome, especially with the wifi working properly.
    I also tried tinkering with it to get lenny working and encountered the same problem with the display drivers not working.

Have there been any fixes or patches made to correct the false rgb framebuffer yet? Or is it possible to get it working by tailoring the modelines in the xorg.conf file? Is there anything that can be changed to correct the vertical overscan or the horizontal underscan?

* XFCE4 users *
    --although the overscan (the top and bottom edges getting cut off the screen) can be a nuisance, there is a setting to help compensate for it. If I remember it was the last option on the settings manager page. It's something like Borders and Workspaces. Open that, then I forget if you need to click on the next tab or not, but find where the margin settings are for the edges of the screen are. If memory serves well, 10 pixels on the top and 28 pixels on the bottom worked well on my tv, but you can play with it and see what works best. To explain all the guesswork here, I actually went back to using fluxbox.
    --another thing, if you have trouble with something being too big to fit on your screen, hold down the "alt" key and click and hold the mouse anywhere on the offending panel to slide it around to your liking. This works without XFCE4.

Has anyone gotten a WBFS manager, like wiithon, working in xwhiite? If so, can it be done without cross-compiling?

I hope everyone has enjoyed xwhiite as much as I have, and thank you to all who made this greatness happen.

6. hojnikb

hojnikb Member
    Newcomer

Slovenia
    I'm gonna install debian 4 on my wii and i want to know:
    (i already installed debian 5 with this tut. and running off my USB stick (hex edited kernel image) )

is ntfs supported by this kernel ? (does it support writting)
    would jvm windows manager work ?
    is it "safe" to use swamp space on my 4gb flash disk ( i've used a 256mb swamp) my guess its not very safe ;(
    how much memory is available to it (i heard that this kernel supports around78MB of ram)
    whats the fastest speed that can wifi card handle (i heard its about 200KB/s)
    what settings should i use to minimize writes to flash disk

Thx for all replys !

BTW i'm a newbie here ! Hello to all !

7. hojnikb

hojnikb Member
    Newcomer

Slovenia
    Ok, now i managed to boot xwhiite with xfce4.It seems to work fine and its great to use wiimote as mouse [​IMG]

Now i've noticed some pink spots on some areas (eg when certain color is ).Also is it possible to set resolution higher that 640x480 ?

tommorow ill test network speed and put some torrents on.. [​IMG]

8. fishears

fishears fishears

I've just installed xwhiite 0.2 and upgraded the dist to lenny. Got the X cube driver working now so I have what looks to me like a proper copy of whiite lenny with xwhiite (basic setup with fluxbox). Gnash installs so flash should work... Can anyone tell me what to do to take a copy of this filesystem so that I can have a "vanilla" backup?

9. snikerz

snikerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Lesotho
    Mount the partition with Linux
    Copy the contents of the entire filesystem to an external hard drive/whatever.
    (Compress them as tar if you want)
    done. [​IMG]

10. fishears

fishears fishears

Thanks snikerz, I'd just realized that rsync will do the job nicely [​IMG] I'll host it somewhere when its done in case anyone else wants it.

11. mpg187

mpg187 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    This uses a PowerPC version I assume?

12. fishears

fishears fishears

13. snikerz

snikerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Lesotho
    Everything you see on screen is running on the PowerPC. The difference is what runs on the ARM coprocessor:

IOS is Nintendo's own operating system. It's possible to run Linux on IOS, but some drivers are missing, for example the WiFi driver or the DVD unit driver.

MINI is Team Twiizers replacement for IOS, it's completely open source. If you run Linux on MINI (possible with BootMii), you get WiFi, DVD support, and more nice things like USB 2.0 Support and 11MB more RAM. It's absolutely awesome.

14. hojnikb

hojnikb Member
    Newcomer

Slovenia
    Anyone tried to run some benchmarks to see how fast is that proc ?
    Also when running AS MINI, can the ARM chip be used somehow by linux ?

Posts merged

...and anyone knows how to fix that pink spots or do i only have theese problems (running this on crt tv with stock cables...

15. fishears

fishears fishears

Here's the "cube" driver compiled for Lenny if anyone wants it. Just extract to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/ after you've upgraded X but before you startx [​IMG]

I've not done a full dist image yet because I forgot to remove all the build stuff so it's massive.... Gnash plugin confirmed working with Iceweasel in Lenny
    If anyone wants a basic dist image of this then I might pursue it, otherwise I'm going to get on with putting the apps I want on there.

16. maurimauri29

maurimauri29 Newbie
    Newcomer

Good to see people making progress with this.
    I am still having issues with crackling sound when playing mp3s (no matter which player I use) and also I do not seem to be able to mount samba shares. I installed smbclient, smbfs and linneighborhood. In lineighborhood I can see the shares on other computers but when i try to mount them I get the message that smbfs filesystem is not supported by the kernel. I tried modprobe smbfs but I get the message saying that the modules.dep cannot be found (even though it is there).
    Any idea how to sort this out?
    Cheers

17. fishears

fishears fishears

assuming you're using kernel 2.6.32:
    under /lib/modules/ you'll see /2.6.27b-isobel-wii/ - rename this to /2.6.32-isobel-wii/ to match the current kernel
    then go into /2.6.32-isobel-wii/ and edit the contents of modules.dep, replacing all references to "2.6.27b" with "2.6.32"
    restart linux

18. maurimauri29

maurimauri29 Newbie
    Newcomer

thanks fishears,
    now that was a bit daft of me. I did not notice that the folders names were different [​IMG]
    however, now that has been corrected but I still cannot mount samba shares and now if I modprobe smbfs I get and invalide module format error.
    Also, am I really the only one who is getting crackling sound when playing mp3s??
    Cheers
    Mauri

19. fishears

fishears fishears

my turn to be a bit daft [​IMG]
    the modules will need to be recompiled from source for 2.6.32 kernel

regarding crackling mp3 - I haven't played any but you could try installing different mp3 decoder...

20. hojnikb

hojnikb Member
    Newcomer

Slovenia
    Anyone got NTFS working on this ?
    Becouse i'm trying with fuse and ntfs-3g but i'm out of luck...

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - (XWhiite, tutorial, working