1. hojnikb

hojnikb Member
    Newcomer

Slovenia
    You can run "sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" as root if you're running out of memory.

2. p_koelio

p_koelio Newbie
    Newcomer

Italy
    i've installed everything as told in the tutorial but, don't know how, i can't login on debian! it loads the system, at runlevel 2, the syslog etc. after the wii mote loading it gets me a countdown (10sec) to reboot and the option to abort it pressing any key. ok, i'll press and now it makes me login, i type root and it tells me "Login incorrect"... wtf?! i try to login with something else and it ask me for a pass but obviously there is only the root user!
    can someone help me?

p.s. a week agot it worked fine, i've installed xfce4, vlc codecs etc.

3. snomile

snomile Newbie
    Newcomer

Switzerland
    to make ntfs-3g working for you , you have two choices :
    [*]load the FUSE module via "modprobe fuse" (which I failed on lenny)[*]directly compile the FUSE device into you linux kernel
    I don't know how to modprobe fuse on lenny , it seems that Wii Debian Lenny lacks of some important files, the /lib/modules/ dir is empty. So I compiled a kernel with linux kernel 2.6.32 and mikep5 patch and FUSE and TUN(for openVPN installation) .The download URL is here

Just download and replace the original one on your SDCard /bootmii/mikep5.elf or /bootmii/ppcboot.elf .You may notice this kernel image is larger than the original one (2.75MB > 2.57MB ) ,because it has FUSE and TUN inside.

Please note :
    1.You must boot this kernel via bootmii ,if you boot it with Homebrew Channel , some device may won't start up ,I dunno why .
    2.This kernel is based on 2.6.32 , so it works with Debian lenny perfectly, not etch . If you want a kernel based on 2.6.27 ,you could compile one by your self . This is the guide from GC-Linux

4. fishears

fishears fishears

nice work snomile [​IMG]

5. hojnikb

hojnikb Member
    Newcomer

Slovenia
    Nice, ill defenetly give it a try.NTFS is a must-have for me!

6. hojnikb

hojnikb Member
    Newcomer

Slovenia
    But first i must hexedit it to fit my needs.

7. hojnikb

hojnikb Member
    Newcomer

Slovenia
    Just tried this new kernel and NTFS WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Great job snomile !

Which torrent client that has web ui would be best for wii ?

8. snikerz

snikerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Lesotho
    Transmission ( http://www.transmissionbt.com/ ) is awesome and has an awesome web interface [​IMG]

9. hojnikb

hojnikb Member
    Newcomer

Slovenia
    I've already have transmission, but it seems that it doesnt have webui.Must be an old version..

10. maurimauri29

maurimauri29 Newbie
    Newcomer

would it be cheeky of me to ask for a kernel with samba too? [​IMG] or at least some instructions on how to compile my own kernel.
    Cheers
    Mauri

11. duplo

duplo Member
    Newcomer

@snomile

If you could complie the kernel with bridge support my happiness would go to infinity, sort of.

As I understand it one have to set: "networking -> 802.1d Ethernet Bridging" to either yes or module somewhere, (I don't have a clue on how to complie linux kernels.)

I have tried to turn my Wii into a router but it seems as ethernet bridging must be enabled in the mikeP5 kernel.

12. hojnikb

hojnikb Member
    Newcomer

Slovenia
    Its great to have Wii as a Linux PC but has its limitations (eg RAM, bad gpu drivers) but it can handle torrents with transmission upto ~270KB/s (not my full net speed but it works..).
    Somebody could make a nice Wii friendly GUI (based on LXDE for example) or atleaset fix that bad looking xvkbd ..

13. tswii

tswii Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi all,

i just registered, followed the thread and managed to get it working up to page 15. So wii connected to a mediaplayer, but ntfs not mounted yet, after the last apt-get upgrade to less space on the sd so it's going for a reboot loop now (own mistake)

But i woundered if it is possible to create a kernel with ntfs and samba support so the ntfs partition on a mediaplayer can be reached from network to update media files. and maybe reach the wbfs partition. The ext3 partition works great

anyone who has the same ideas ?

great forum by the way.

14. Would it be possible to use SNEEK to get this working on boot1 fixed Wiis?

15. hojnikb

hojnikb Member
    Newcomer

Slovenia
    Somebody posted kernel with fuse module already in.Search it and it and install ntfs-3g.Then ntfs should work.

16. snikerz

snikerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Lesotho
    Install BootMii as IOS. Works perfectly [​IMG]

17. tswii

tswii Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    that kernel with fuse is lenny based, so i ugraded to lenny wit distro-upgrade but ran out of space.
    So a new try (and hopefully no error this time) with a 8Gb SD will do it, I think. Your answer does raise questions what combination is best?

like to run a distro with ntfs support to manage my mediaplayer (iomega screenplay) remotely by ssh (1st partition) OR
    use a samba share to put files on the 1st partition remotely AND
    manage my WBFS (2nd partition) with wiithon from wii (uses to much memory, i think) AND
    have a 3rd partition with ext3 for storage (not in use yet)

anyone with the same idea and what do you use? any suggestions anyone?

tried whiite 0.1, xwhiite (etch) no ntfs, update with mikep5 with fuse (kernel 2.6.32) but doesn't work (or do I do something wrong) updated to lenny (ran out space)
    after replacing the SD>> lenny up and running Ok, throughput is variable but around 650kb/s (i thought 200kb/s was max), now apt-get upgrade and so on.

used: http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/WL:whiite-linux#Introduction

suggestions for a purpose are welcome, so are good tips of usefull apps to run on it

18. tswii

tswii Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I'm using your kernel as ppcboot.elf but no ntfs support with lenny. Any ideas what goes wrong?
    wifi does work though.
    external ext3 partition can be reached

19. hojnikb

hojnikb Member
    Newcomer

Slovenia
    You need to manualy mount the disk with ntfs-3g.It doesnt detect it automaticly (atleast in my case)
    Also i suggest you format your corrent sd card and install a fresh debian lenny, rather than installing etch and then upgrading.Its already compiled somewhere in gc-linux sf.net.Search for whiite 1.10.
    Its best to make a startup script that automaticly mounts disk at boot.

after replacing the SD>> lenny up and running Ok, throughput is variable but around 650kb/s (i thought 200kb/s was max), now apt-get upgrade and so on.

Thats really fast, are you sure its that much ? Couse AFAIK there is a limitation in b43 driver for wifi that limits speed to ~3Mbit
    The DMA engines of the 4318 core cannot be used due to the already described hardware interface (the 4318 core has no way to directly access the host memory via the SDIO interface). Thus, reception and transmission of frames must be performed through the 4318 FIFO engine which, according to the b43 developers, is only capable of offering 2-3 Mbps.

20. tueidj

tueidj I R Expert

I would believe 650kb/s; I've seen wifi do ~700kb/s in my own experiments using IOS (not linux).

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - (XWhiite, tutorial, working