Hacking Wii is version 4.1U - cannot reinstall Homebrew or anything else

negotiator75

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii is at version 4.1U right now. (I did it by following these steps for BannerBomber/HackMii method (3.x to 4.1 method) from GBATemp ). (I started fresh from version 3.1)

I then installed a Homebrew app called USBLoader_GX. It installed OK.

USBLoader_GX came up fine, I was able to see the GUI, I attached a WBFS formatted USB drive - no problem. But when I went to add any games, it gave me an error message of: "Exception (DSI) occurred!"

So then I went to the Homebrew Channel to see if I can reinstall USBLoader_GX, and I was not able to see anything from the SD card. Nothing would load up. Not even a fresh SD card with the "app/appname/installation files.." scheme, the Homebrew channel would open and freeze or show up upside down, etc.

So then I went to wii maintenance and deleted the Homebrew Channel, thinking I could re-do the install. I tried installing the SD card with all of the boot.elf files, .wad files etc.. just like I did in the beginning. But no luck, no dialog came up asking me to install. Could there be an issue with version 4.1U not being able to use BannerBomber?

Basically, I am stuck now with my Wii at version 4.1U without Homebrew and cannot use BannerBomber v1 to reinstall Homebrew.

This is a difficult problem to solve. But I figured I would ask, does anyone know how to resolve this?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When you say a "fresh SD card", do you mean just copying the files to it again? Or did you format it/try another card? If you haven't already, format the card and try again. If it still doesn't work, replace it. Also, if you're using an SDHC card, try a non-SDHC (any card 2GB or less)

Disconnect the USB device you plugged in for USB Loader GX. It could be causing issues.

That code dump (that exception you got), has nothing to do with it. It's a BSOD for a Wii. If you get one, reboot wii and try again. BTW, USB loader GX is prone to crashing...

negotiator75

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
When you say a "fresh SD card", do you mean just copying the files to it again? Or did you format it/try another card? If you haven't already, format the card and try again. If it still doesn't work, replace it. Also, if you're using an SDHC card, try a non-SDHC (any card 2GB or less)

Disconnect the USB device you plugged in for USB Loader GX. It could be causing issues.

That code dump (that exception you got), has nothing to do with it. It's a BSOD for a Wii. If you get one, reboot wii and try again. BTW, USB loader GX is prone to crashing...

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, fresh as in tried another 512MB SD (non-SDHC) card I had lying around. Now, I KNOW the SD cards work because I am able to load data to them.

Some questions:

1. What do I need to do/get to re-install the Homebrew Channel on Wii 4.1U? Is there something out there, a tool or app that can put the files on my card?

2. Does the format of the card matter? Meaning FAT vs FAT32?

negotiator75

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I was able to figure it out. Thanks to both of you for your help.
biggrin.gif

I formatted the same 512MB SD I was using all along as FAT using Quick Format. I compared the original installation files to some new ones I made from BannerBomber site and HackMii site instructions. As it turns out, the "private" directory had some LCK files in there. I think those were locking up the Wii.

With the newly formatted card, I put the files from BannerBomber and HackMii in there and it worked!!
Then I took another 512MB SD card and installed usbloader_gx -- it seems to crash ALOT!
mad.gif

So this leaves 1 question for you experts out there. What is the best program to use to INSTALL & LOAD my game backups from my WBFS drive ?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I use USB Loader GX, even though it does crash sometimes. Seems like every update gets more stable though. I crashed GX the other day downloading covers, but before that, haven't crashed it in a month.

Just try the different loaders and see which interface you like best.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...