Hardware Wii HDD - Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 1 TB

wikaash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi - I have been browsing the USB Devices compatibility list for using an external HDD on my Wii.
I want to buy a 1 TB HDD.
In the compatibility list I could see that the Western Digital My Book Essential 1 TB was rated well and works with everything (green-green-green).
While looking on the net to buy this I discovered that there are 2 versions:

- Western Digital My Book Essential 1 TB USB 2.0 External USB Hard Drive (WDBAAF0010HBK-N)
- Western Digital My Book Essential 1 TB USB 2.0 Edition 2.0 External USB Hard Drive (WD10000H1U-00)

In the Notes I have read that the second version (Edition 2.0 WD10000H1U-00) powers itself on/off with the Wii.
I was wondering if anyone here who has the first version (WDBAAF0010HBK-N) could tell me it this version also powers on/off with the Wii.
I cannot find the Edition 2.0 here where I live, but It would be great if the HDD I buy would powers itself on/off with the Wii.

I hope to get some replys on my question.
Thank you so much!

luckwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a WD Elements 1.5TB drive. From the sounds of it, it is comparable to the 2.0 edition you describe. The Essentials drives have onboard software for backups. I wonder if it is possible that the Essentials can be just a software update, or if there is and internal hardware difference. You should check into that. Also, the Elements drive does everything I need it to do, and it is cheaper. I prefer to drag and click my backup data. Just another thought.

DownSince86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used both versions of the drive and they both run fine. You will have to use the included software to turn off the auto spin down. I recommend formatting the drive and removing the "backup" partition after you turn off the auto spin down, I personally formatted mine to FAT32.

trigger_ftu

The FantomPhox
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kryptical said:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=728

I think thats the first one, reading over it it says that it has the auto power off.
i have the 1st version. and yes it turns on and off with the wii automatically. it does have a button on the back to turn it off at any time you want to but thats it. the software it comes with is annoying when it is connected to the pc.

wikaash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thank you for all your replies!
It has been a big help.
Since I cannot buy the second edition, I will purchase the first edition next week!

smile.gif

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump the thread. I also have to decide between these two drives.
Have both of these the auto power on/off feature? Which is better?
Someone knows if there are compatible with SNEEK?

Just to clarify... you called the second edition WD10000H1U-00???
I know that the OLDER edition is WD10000H1U-00
and the NEW one is WDBAAF0010HBK

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Castlevania uhh... whatever rhymes with Castlevania...