Hacking Wii Gator and Drives

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I made an entry about this a while ago on the ModMii topic. A while back I modded my Wii using ModMii and following its procedures. And boy did I ever do everything 100% exactly as I was supposed to. I made sure to get all the instructions in the world before messing around with my Wii. Since it was a new Wii though, the version was 4.3U, and I was fairly certain the drive was a D3-2 drive that is incapable of running backups no matter what hacks you have, which means my Wii could only run backups from the USB loader and can never run Gamecube backups either. So I thought I was going to remove Wii Gator.

But then I entered my serial number in the Wii Drive Chip Database, and turned up these results
  • There is a 50% chance the chipset is GC2R-D2A.
  • And there is also a 50% chance the chipset is GC2-D4 on a smaller drive board

Now, I thought that was kinda weird. According to the complete soft mod guide, "ALL black wii's have [the D3-2] drive", yet according to this, I probably don't. Does this mean that I CAN run backup disks too? Or do one of the above types also have the same function as the D3-2?

So in other words, will Wii Gator have a use for me after all, or should I might as well remove it? If so, how do I go about removing it again? I asked that before, but I was kinda confused about the steps to be honest.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What do you mean with Wii Gator? I only know wiigator's cMIOS and Neogamma by wiipower based one wiigators gamma. Yeah you can try but I'm 99% sure it wont work. Why dont go with DML for gamecube games?

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean with Wii Gator? I only know wiigator's cMIOS and Neogamma by wiipower based one wiigators gamma. Yeah you can try but I'm 99% sure it wont work. Why dont go with DML for gamecube games?
I mean no offense when I say this, but I have... absolutely no idea what you just said. Like any of it. What is "wiigator's cMIOS", what's "Neogamma", what's "wiipower", what's "wiigator's gamma"? And what's "DML"? Thanks.

Anyway, all I know is when I insert a GameCube disk and press the button to launch a GameCube game from my channel, I get this screen that reads "WiiGator Backup Launcher" with a green GameCube logo. If I can't run backup disks, might as well get rid of this program, right?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What is "wiigator's cMIOS"
That's the thing you have installed, which comes when you boot a gamecube disc, a modified startup to boot backups.
what's "Neogamma", what's "wiipower", what's "wiigator's gamma"?
Wiipower is the creator of neogamma based on "gamma", created by wiigator. Neogamma is a application to launch backups.
And what's "DML"? Thanks.
DML, long name dios-mios lite is a application to launch gamecube games from sd card, see here if you want to know how to.
Anyway, all I know is when I insert a GameCube disk and press the button to launch a GameCube game from my channel, I get this screen that reads "WiiGator Backup Launcher" with a green GameCube logo. If I can't run backup disks, might as well get rid of this program, right?
Yep that's right.

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is "wiigator's cMIOS"
That's the thing you have installed, which comes when you boot a gamecube disc, a modified startup to boot backups.
what's "Neogamma", what's "wiipower", what's "wiigator's gamma"?
Wiipower is the creator of neogamma based on "gamma", created by wiigator. Neogamma is a application to launch backups.
And what's "DML"? Thanks.
DML, long name dios-mios lite is a application to launch gamecube games from sd card, see here if you want to know how to.
Yep that's right.
Okay. So how do I do it? XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)