Wii for my parents - anything missing?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by blizeH, Nov 6, 2007.

Nov 6, 2007
  1. blizeH
    OP

Member blizeH GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    So far I've ordered:
    1x extra Nunchuck
    1x Brain Training
    1x 2000 Wii Points

And I'm going to order asap:
    1x Nintendo Wii
    1x Wii Play & Wiimote
    Rechargeable batteries (or charging dock?)

But I'm not sure what else to get. I'm buying them a new monitor too, so don't want to spend absolutely loads more on them, but am considering two (or maybe three at a push) of the following:

- Super Paper Mario
    - Super Mario Galaxy
    - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    - Excite Truck
    - Forever Blue
    - Warioware
    - Mercury Meltdown Revolution
    - Kororinpa
    - Table Tennis

Any essentials I'm missing? Which of the above should I get? I've already ordered Mercury and Forever Blue, but am very open to the prospect of selling them on Ebay or something if the other games are better options. Cheers!

2. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    MPH 3?

3. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    Lucky parents [​IMG]
    I think you've got the essentials

4. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    You seem to be all set. And as for the games your choosing from, it really comes down to this: what do your parents like? If your dad's a golfer then you'd want Tiger Woods. If your mom is a doctor then how about Trauma Center? Hopefully you get the idea. Don't just pick the essentials because they're essentials, pick the games you know they'll enjoy due to their own unique tastes.

5. blizeH
    OP

United Kingdom
    Good shout, thanks! Trauma Centre was tempting but I've heard it's very difficult so out of the question. Think I'll get Mario Galaxy purely because it'd be rude not to [​IMG] MPH3 looks good cheers, I'll definitely consider that too.

6. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    honestly, the thing about video games is that you really need to try them before you buy them. whether that's via rentals or a friend who has it or going the modchip route. for example, personally i dislike the table tennis game a lot as well as brunswick bowling.

as for trauma center, it has easy, normal, and hard. there's a little learning curve and some of them take some time, but it's definitely not all too too hard. besides, it's probably one of the funner games for wii imho.

how about mario party 8? that one seems to bode well for people of all ages.

cooking mama i hear is compatible too although i've never played it

carnival games?
    the bigs?

honestly i find myself playing wii tennis more than anything else when with people. i wish they made more games multiplayer (especially shooter games although that's probably not what you're looking for)

7. jpxdude

Member jpxdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Super Mario Galaxy, Wario Ware, and Trauma Centre should be big hits with the parents. Maybe Big Brain Acadamy too.

Got a Wii for my parents-in-law last Christmas, and they're still in love with Wii Sports!

8. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    totally agree about wii sports and more specifically tennis. if they released a tennis version based off the first that was more sophisticated, i'd be all over it. online play and hookup with the nunchuk so you can move the player would be niiice

honestly, i'd recommend starting off with buying just one game for it. i'm almost positive they'd be spending most of their time with wii sports anyway. and if you start with a ton of games, they'll probably quickly jump to the conclusion that all the games suck except sports and it'd ruin it for the other games. sure was that way for me. wasn't until i got a little tired of sports that i started liking the other games a little more

9. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    Even if your dad is crazy about golf, definitely AVOID tiger woods, 07 or 08. I haven't played 07, but I have 08 and from what the reviews say, if it's better than 07 I can only imagine how crappy it is.
    Stick to Wii Sports.

10. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    Oh i dunno.... I saw a big impovement from 07 to 08

I enjoy it, and i'm a keen golfer - just don't go expecting a perfect simualation.

Wii sports golf FTL....now that really sucks!

11. Nintendo

Newcomer Nintendo Member

Since you got them 2000 Wii Points, you might as well get them a Classic Controller too, in case they ever decide to download any VC games with those points.

As for batteries vs the charging dock, I'd go with rechargeable batteries instead of charge packs. That way, they'll be able to use them for other things that run on AA besides just their Wii Remotes.

12. PikaPika

Member PikaPika GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'd say get Warioware and SMG. My relatives loved Warioware, and everyone loves SMG [​IMG] .

13. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I don't think you should get Legend of Zelda, as they probably won't enjoy that very much...but, of course, I could be wrong.

You should definately get them WarioWare and maybe Super Mario Galaxy.
    Like most old folks (not dissin' your folks, dude [​IMG]), but they'll probably dig Wii Sports and play it the most.

14. blizeH
    OP

United Kingdom
    woot! Many thanks for the awesome replies.

So far then, I have: Nintendo Wii, Wii Play, Wii Nunchuck, 2000 Wii Points, Endless Ocean and Brain Academy.

Seems the games I'll buy now too are Super Mario Galaxy and Warioware - but I'm considering checking out either Super Paper Mario or Excite Truck too, hmm...

15. blizeH
    OP

United Kingdom
    Got SMG!

Do I get Warioware, Super Paper Mario, Excite Truck or all three? [​IMG]

16. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    get paper mario

its story is slightly suspenseful

17. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    Hard to say, what kind of things would your parents really like? I could imagine a dad liking Excite Truck. And WarioWare is fun for the whole family. As for Super Paper Mario, I can't really imagine a parent liking that.

18. Shelleeson

Member Shelleeson GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    big brain academy is a must [​IMG] [​IMG]
    i don't think there's anyone who doesn't like that game young or old, plus it's cheap [​IMG]

19. blizeH
    OP

United Kingdom
    Nice one, cheers guys!

So far I have Big Brain Academy, Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports, Wii Play and Endless Ocean.

I'm considering Super Paper Mario, Mario & Sonic Olympic Games, Warioware, Rayman, Excite Truck and Super Paper Mario.

I think you could be right, Super Paper Mario is a game that I'd love but I'm not sure about my parents, although both of my parents loved the original Mario games!

20. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    The new Trauma Center: New Blood could be good for them plus it has co op mode so they can do operations together.