Hacking Wii DVD Read Error - Infinity Lightscribe Discs

alex350r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

I've got quite a random problem and hoping someone might have some ideas.

Basically ive got the Homebrew Channel installed and the latest version of Backup Launcher + CIOS.

I am burning my Wii games onto Infiniti DVD-R Coloured Lightscribe Discs. I have burned them at 4x speed using Nero. What seems to happen is that I burn them, test them and they work fine put them in a CD Wallet and the next time I go to use them I get DVD Read Error and the Wii makes all sorts of noises and can't read the disc.

The Discs appear to have no scratches on them so I just can't understand it. I have tried doing the burn before the lightscribe and visa versa and doesn't seem to make a difference. I have ordered some different media to try but these are DVD+R and I have read bad things about DVD+R's and the Wii's lens.

I dont really want to waste the existing DVD's that ive got so would like to experiment a bit, maybe I need to burn with imgburn at an even lower speed? Can anyone think of any ideas why this might be happening?

I thought that maybe the Wii's lens but be dirty but it reads normal games just fine, I have seen a 'Wii Lens Cleaning Kit' available for sale but I am in UK and can't get one over here.

Thanks
rolleyes.gif

Alex

alex350r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
And your point is? I dont think the discs are getting scratched. Only thing I thought maybe the quality of the burn is bad so that is why it only reads once?

Ive seen a mention of a program called DVDInfo to check burn quality??

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Make sure book type is DVD-ROM of course, and lower the burn speed to 2x. Works best for me with ImgBurn. Also leave the Verify checkbox checked.

And of course, try different media if all that fails, not sure how the Wii would handle lightscribe disks

alex350r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks MicShadow, I will try a burn tonight using ImgBurn at 2x. And let it verify.

Also while I am here, I am currently running my backup launcher gamma through the homebrew channel but ive heard it can be ran as a seperate channel - are there any links to this?

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Are you even allowed to post WAD's here? I thought you couldn't.

Either way, use better quality media. The Wii is very picky about the media you give it, and if it doesn't like it, it will make those funny unhealthy noises.

I suggest using 8x Taiyo Yuden discs, burned at 8x. Never failed me yet.

alex350r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, I have one last question (im sure this has been asked lots) but just to clarify, which is the latest version of Cios?

Also what is the difference between Ios and Cios, when I installed Backup Launcher beta I just ran the CIOS Installer that came with it and when I updated to gamma I just ran the installer again.

Not sure if I need to install IOS updates too? Want to make sure I am up-to-date.

Also I'm currently running 3.4E Firmware and the Wii is continously asking me to perform an update? is this new update safe? or will it remove the HB Channel etc?

Cheers

Alex

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I believe it is cIOS36 rev07.

But any one that comes with the launchers should be fine.

Dont think there is any real IOS updates you need, but im not too sure i fully understand your question here

3.4v2 its trying to install IIRC. So no go. It breaks some things im pretty sure

To be safe, just go back to 3.2 and install starfall. Be wary of updates

alex350r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks @MicShadow, so can I just install the cIOS36 Rev7 over my existing ones? Using the cIOS Installer or something.

Regarding the 3.4 update, I won't update as it is working great at the moment. Just want to make sure my backup launcher and cIOS is all up to date.

Thanks!

Alex

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would say yes, as I just installed the gamma cIOS over the original backup loader (the very first one) and its fine.
But yeah I dont have too much experience on the inbetween cIOS's so dont quote me on that

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LightScribe discs shouldn't worry the Wii - I've used Verbatim LightScribe discs before and had no problems. What however might be the issue is the media you're using. I don't know who makes the discs "Infiniti" use, but I'd suggest trying something else.

alex350r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks I will try updating to the latest Cios tonight and try one more burn with the Infiniti's, Ive got some Verbatim's on order anyway if not.

Ive just seen a mention of a 'Dol Forwarder Channel', does anyone know exactly what this does? and is it worth the download/install on the Wii?

Cheers

Alex

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IIRC, Dol Forwarders are channels made for a certain app. Instead of launching the dol within the channel, it executes the one in a certain location on the SD card
'
This makes it a lot easier to upgrade to a newer version of an application, because you dont have to uninstall the WAD then install a new one

alex350r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah ok thanks, that makes sense. Might have a poke around on here for a few. Is it true btw that the new hombrew channel 1.0.1 can only use .dol files and not .elf?

Thanks,

Alex

D

Deleted User

Posting homebrew WADs is okay.

But posting a warez WAD is bad.

Just wanted to point out a slight mistake.

to6y

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's possible that the burn speed you are using is too fast/slow. I use 8x and have never had any problems. Experiment with different speeds. And also, somebody asked if the homebrew channel can read .elf files. The answer is no. Homebrew can now only read .dol files, but there is an elf to dol converter avalible as a Homebrew application, which can be found at http://www.wiibrew.org.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Ready to just leave this place anyway. The amount of shit talking and bullying behavior that...