Caliryder209

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I have a complicated situation to which I hope someone can provide a solution to, but since it is one that is unique, I doubt I will get very many answers, so ANY help will be much appreciated. Ok, I'm planning on getting a WD TV Live Hub 1 TB for its intended reasons (watching videos, listening to music, viewing pictures) and also its potential to function as an external HDD; one I hope I can connect to my Wii and play ISO's from. Hopefully someone who owns both a Wii and/or WD TV Live Hub 1TB (or anyone else for that matter) can answer these questions:

1. What format is the WD TV Live Hub's HDD in?
2. If it's in either NFTS or FAT32, can it be reformatted to HFS+ on PC running Vista?
3. Does the Wii really support HFS+ formatted hard drives?
4. Can a USB loader application load ISO's from a device that is connected to a USB Wii LAN adapter via Ethernet?

I know all this might sound kinda stupid, but I can't find answers to any of these anywhere. Thanks for any and all help.

dajavax

Trophies
Website
www.dajavax.tk
XP
Country
Mexico
1. i really don't know... probably FAT or NTFS as that's what the WD TV HD reads (that's what i own)
2. i doubt it can be reformatted to HFS+, and even harder to do that with a Windows machine..
3. no it doesn't
4. no it can't

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally own the plain WDTV and i say even if it doesnt allow using it in any way with the wii, its still a great little beast. I expect this model you are looking at is equally kickass, and i would recommend buying it. WD has used an open source firmware, and hacked/custom firmware is readily available, and easy to flash adding more functionality.

1. the WD TV uses a linux kernel, so its native filesystem is ext. however, i believe if you are able to use the WDTV Live as an extarnal HDD, i suspect that it will come formatted with NTFS. WD will most likely put a filesystem on it that most users will be able to use. It definitely wont be FAT32, as a 1TB FAT32 partition take ages to even load on windows.

2. i dont think vista can create a HFS+ partition by default. it only allows creating FAT, exFAT, and NTFS without extra software.

3. The wii itself doesnt support any filesystems. Filesystem support is either compiled into a program or supplied by cIOS. All official programs only support FAT and SD. Most homebrew uses libfat, so it supports the popular FAT variants. And certain homebrew supports NTFS by using the libntfs port. And dimok is working on a ext library. Now wiixplorer is able to read/write to ext2/3/4. Ive not heard of any other popular filesystems being supported by any wii homebrew

4. Possible, yes. But it has not been included in any publicly available loaders. It IS supported in teh WODE. LAN is working now, and WiFi is working, but still only in beta stages.

Caliryder209

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
I personally own the plain WDTV and i say even if it doesnt allow using it in any way with the wii, its still a great little beast. I expect this model you are looking at is equally kickass, and i would recommend buying it. WD has used an open source firmware, and hacked/custom firmware is readily available, and easy to flash adding more functionality.

1. the WD TV uses a linux kernel, so its native filesystem is ext. however, i believe if you are able to use the WDTV Live as an extarnal HDD, i suspect that it will come formatted with NTFS. WD will most likely put a filesystem on it that most users will be able to use. It definitely wont be FAT32, as a 1TB FAT32 partition take ages to even load on windows.

2. i dont think vista can create a HFS+ partition by default. it only allows creating FAT, exFAT, and NTFS without extra software.

3. The wii itself doesnt support any filesystems. Filesystem support is either compiled into a program or supplied by cIOS. All official programs only support FAT and SD. Most homebrew uses libfat, so it supports the popular FAT variants. And certain homebrew supports NTFS by using the libntfs port. And dimok is working on a ext library. Now wiixplorer is able to read/write to ext2/3/4. Ive not heard of any other popular filesystems being supported by any wii homebrew

4. Possible, yes. But it has not been included in any publicly available loaders. It IS supported in teh WODE. LAN is working now, and WiFi is working, but still only in beta stages.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yea, I guess the HDD being pre-formatted as NTFS makes sense. But you mention software being able to create an HFS+ partition on Vista. Know any good software that does that? It'll be a real shame if I couldn't get the HDD re-formatted as HFS+, even if I can't connect it to my Wii. You see, I have some VERY large Blu Ray quality .MKV and .M2TS video files on my PC (all 7 GB+) that I'd want to transfer to the WD TV Live Hub through networking once I get it. But NTFS has a file size limit of 4GB, so I'll have to break up the movies into parts, which would really suck. That's all if it even functions as an external HDD as you mentioned. There's still the possibility that it won't (I mean, it only has the ports for the "A" end of a USB cable). Then I wouldn't have a reason to even buy it in the first place. Let's just hope it does though .And as for loading ISO's from it (in the case it works as an HFS+ external HDD) through the USB LAN adapter, the only available loader is that pricey WODE thing, right? Damn...

BBarry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its format is FAT32.I don't know if it can be reformatted to NTFS. I do know their is a size restriction on ISO files on this device with FAT32.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok had let dog out, and yea still can't see it, oh well. Maybe tom night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ballocks these drives aren't allowing raid
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sucks, well you will get double the space then atleast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy needs to come back
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you try Raid 10?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did raid69
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The physical disk keeps disabling in bios
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey ken did you see the aurora tonight?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also sorry it was too cloudy, that sucks
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, This chat is sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So I guess raid0 doesn't allow mismatched storage oh well
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So I guess raid0 doesn't allow mismatched storage oh well