Hacking Wii-Clip Install!

GatorDeb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this sold anywhere presoldered? I want one I can just open up, slide in, and close back up, no soldering on my part needed.

Thanks!
smile.gif

P.S. Can you get online with this? Will future firmwares "break" the Wii if this is installed?

GatorDeb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's invisible to Nintendo? I'm more worried about upgrades disabling the Wii than anything else.

I -really- want it with the Wasabi. Anyone here (who after me paypaling them $ to cover for the Wii-Clip, Wasabi+something extra for their time) that can assemble one for me and ship it?
smile.gif

alanchiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
GatorDeb said:
So it's invisible to Nintendo? I'm more worried about upgrades disabling the Wii than anything else.

I -really- want it with the Wasabi. Anyone here (who after me paypaling them $ to cover for the Wii-Clip, Wasabi+something extra for their time) that can assemble one for me and ship it?
smile.gif

The Wasabi will still need one wire soldered to the board - As seen here
Most of the shops selling these will sell them presoldered. Just have a look through the clip threads like this one, and you'll see Ozmodchips, techsick and others selling them

GatorDeb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasabi's out then.

Which combo do you recommend? My main concern is that it doesn't disable the Wii when a Wii Update is forced, and the other is that I want to play any region on my NTSC console.

And I want to do no wiring or soldering
smile.gif

GatorDeb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first part of my serial # is LU5289 and Wiitracker says I probably have a GC2-D2C.

Your Drive Pins are most likely not cut.

Is this what I want?

http://www.ozmodchips.com/wiiclip-v1-solde...ckey-p-139.html

$89 + shipping for Wii-Clip, D2CKey, and Triwing.

Again, main main concern is bricking the Wii when a forced upgrade happens.

I have an NTSC and would like to use Pal games... does this one allow it?

I want to solder no extra wires. Just want to pop it in and go.

They recommend tape... anyone here recommend tape? Which one, the black electrical kind?

Thanks!
smile.gif

mchomicz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
GatorDeb said:
Is this sold anywhere presoldered? I want one I can just open up, slide in, and close back up, no soldering on my part needed.

Thanks!
smile.gif

P.S. Can you get online with this? Will future firmwares "break" the Wii if this is installed?
- http://www.mod-chip.bz/catalog/solderfree-...mp;currency=EUR
- http://consolextreme.com/Shop/index.php?ma...;products_id=22
2. Mario Kart Wii works online just fine (I have a PAL console with wii-clip and D2CPro)
3. "Will future firmwares "break" the Wii if this is installed?" ---> it's rather hard to predict the future... I'm afraid nobody can actually ANSWER this questions. Though I'm sure you could get all kinds of speculation ;-)

darkriku197

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mchomicz said:
GatorDeb said:

Thanks!
smile.gif

- http://www.mod-chip.bz/catalog/solderfree-...mp;currency=EUR
- http://consolextreme.com/Shop/index.php?ma...;products_id=22
2. Mario Kart Wii works online just fine (I have a PAL console with wii-clip and D2CPro)
3. "Will future firmwares "break" the Wii if this is installed?" ---> it's rather hard to predict the future... I'm afraid nobody can actually ANSWER this questions. Though I'm sure you could get all kinds of speculation ;-)
those are both links to buying d2Cpro which is a d2ckey clone, i think.

shanti.vt1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
HELP, hi guys I recently installed my Wiiclip and D2cpro on my WII, When I power up the WII the red and Green light come on the chip, but turn off after. I insert my backup game and the D2Cpro lights do not come on. my original work fine. I have also removed the WII Clip and reinserted the chip. But it keeps on doing the same thing. I bought this chip from OZmod. I have emailed him already on how I should proceed. If anyone can give me any idea's that would be great. If not I will have to send this back to him for a exchange.

thanks

shanti.vt1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just a update, found out my wii clip and d2ckey is defective, anybody else having problems with this combo. Anyway I just shipped the unit back to OZ. I will have to wait at least 2 weeks before I find out what is wrong with my chip and wiiclip.

cry.gif

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
shanti.vt1 said:
just a update, found out my wii clip and d2ckey is defective, anybody else having problems with this combo. Anyway I just shipped the unit back to OZ. I will have to wait at least 2 weeks before I find out what is wrong with my chip and wiiclip.

cry.gif

i have heard a few people say that you may really have to apply some firm pressure to get the clip on properly..enough pressure that you feel you're using too much. the install pics on the official site show that the clip has to be almost flush with the circuit board and the pins need to be lined up right before applying pressure for it to work right.

anyways i'm pretty sure OZ tests his stuff before he sends it out, so if they get it back and it works for them, you know why

shanti.vt1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have been emailing back and forth to OZ, he is very helpful and patient. He got me to try a few things but no go. Anyway I am happy with his service and I know sometimes electronics don't work propery..

rt

NoAlias

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi There,

After 3 weeks, the WII-Clip with D2CKey that I ordered from Oz finally arrived. OZ was very helpful to me when I became tired of waiting, and now I have finally installed it.

IT WORKS GREAT!

I promised that I would share my experiences with you, so here goes.

The complete mod (my first!) took me less than one hour. And that includes testing and re-testing at various stages.
I took some pictures along the way.

Here are the tools that I used:
IMG_2726.jpg

I used the ice-cube tray to collect all the screws and keep them separated for the different sides of the WII from which they came. The floppy disk stickers are not used, but only the sheet on which they sat. I used that to store the sticky WII feet and stickers that I took off the WII.
The tweezers are handy, especially to pick the screws from the ice-cube tray again, but also to place the screws form the disk-drive back into the holes.

The tri-wing came from Oz. It has the correct size but is not really durable.
In fact it is about completely ruined now. And all thanks to one screw!
The last screw (always the last) would not budge. Hence I could not completely remove the front of the WII. I was able to take the lid off by carefully jiggling it and some tolerance that I had with the front. But it wasn't easy. I almost gave up when the screw would not come off.
Here's a photo of the screw:
IMG_2717.jpg

(Damn Thing)

Anyway, Oz' Wii-clip came in a regular plastic bag, no anti-static thing. But it turns out that the chip works just fine.
I noticed that I have a D2C-D1A in my system. D2CKey works fine with it.
IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

As you can see in the picture above, I did not disconnect the brown ribbon cable. I did not need to because the WII-Clip can be fitted properly without needing to twist and turn the whole disk drive.
I did not press too hard, and the WII-clip is flush with the board. But when I tested it, it did not work.
When Switching the WII on, both red and blue leds from the D2CKey came on and off. But when I inserted a disk it did not recognize anything. No LED action either.
I switched the WII off again and applied extra pressure to the WII-clip. Making sure to press on all sides.
Now my tests were fine.
Mario Cart WII (PAL) worked fine. So did WII Sports (PAL).
Then I tried some copied games. My Chicked Shoot copy worked too (glad I did not pay for that one).
So, Originals and copies worked fine. Time to close up again.

IMG_2725.jpg

I covered the WII-clip with a cup-out cover. I cut the cover down to size to keep the airflow obstuction to a minimum.
I rolled up some electric tape to act as a cushen (spelling?) an keep the WII-clip in place.
When I tried to close the drive again, I noticed that the roll of tape was too thick. I replaced it with a roll that was about half the size (only about 5 or 6 cm of tape).

Closing the WII was a challenge too because the front cover had not come off properly. I was finally able to slide the lid back in place and assemble all the screws again.

After the final tests, it was an hour later.

I hope my little explanation is helpful for somebody.

Cheers,

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
congrats, glad the install worked out for you! and as for ozmodchips, yes..they really do have some of the best customer service in the modchip buisiness, hands down.

NoAlias

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I installed my clip yesterday, but today it did not work anymore.
My WII did not recognize any disks.

I opened up my Wii and treid to find out what the problem was.
After pressing the clip on tighter, it worked, but when I assembled the WII again, it stopped working again.

I put some electrical tape on the clip to keep pressure on it, but I think that it caused some uneven pressure on the clip making it disconnect at one side.

I even yanked the whole clip off (was relatively easy) and checked the teeth to see if any of them were bent or something.
They looked fine. I put the clip back on and assembled my Wii again.
This time, I did not put any electical tape on it and let the clip just 'hang on'.

Now it works again, but if it ever stops working again, I'm going to take it out completely.
I just hope that the tri-wing screwdriver from OzMod can take another disassembly.
It had trouble with 3 screws already. The screwdriver wears out very quickly.

Oh, and my wife's "I told you so" really did not help much either.

Cheers,

ustinov

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
NoAlias said:
I installed my clip yesterday, but today it did not work anymore.
My WII did not recognize any disks.

I opened up my Wii and treid to find out what the problem was.
After pressing the clip on tighter, it worked, but when I assembled the WII again, it stopped working again.

I put some electrical tape on the clip to keep pressure on it, but I think that it caused some uneven pressure on the clip making it disconnect at one side.

[snip]

Oh, and my wife's "I told you so" really did not help much either.

Cheers,

In my experience (n=1) you do not need to put anything on the clip to keep it in place.
I found , since the clip is more to the left of the centre of the drive, tighthening the screws evenly (in pressure) will cause the drive to tilt to the right.
Instead I tightened the left screw (close to the clip) until the clip was held tight and tightenend the right screw just enough to keep the drive level with the motherboard (so a bit loose).
This gives only vertical pressure to the clip.

ballad

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'm new here! lol

I have a problem with wii-clip also. I installed it and my Wii worked fine over 1 week but at this moment, it cannot read any disc (either original or backup one). I tried to reinstalled it several time but it didn't help. I'll try again this evening with ustinov's suggestion.

frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1