Wii Chipped?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Cheyanna, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Cheyanna
    OP

Cheyanna Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2008
    I know this is probably very dumb to ask.

But before i buy the wii i would like to know what does chipped mean?

Does that mean that i can download games off the internet like the NDS Lite? or simply that i can play other regional games on the wii?

thankx for answering this

[​IMG]

2. SectionX

SectionX GBAtemp Fan

May 26, 2004
    It means you can download games just like the DS and sometimes play other regional games on the Wii, correct.

3. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    It means a modchip has been installed. Then you can indeed download&burn games from the internet.
    And it also adds partial region-free support, so you can play games from other regions (but not all of them)

4. Cheyanna
    OP

Cheyanna Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2008
    do i have to buy it chipped or can i can it chipped myself?

can i have the website where you can download games plz?

5. BigX

BigX GBAtemp Regular

Aug 29, 2007
    Canada
    over there
    if you search the web and know how to use a solder iron, you can do it yourself.
    Downloading Game images is illegal in most countries.
    Most important of all: Software pirates have short d****
    A game worth playing is a game worth buying (or at least renting)

6. Devrethman

Devrethman Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2008
    United States
    If you're buying one now, you'll probably end up with a D2c. As far as I know the only chip that works on them is the D2CKey, which costs around 50 bucks I think and requires some rediculous soldering skills. If you miraculously end up with a pre-D2C wii, you could do YAOSM, which isn't THAT difficult to install, and uses parts that can be bought from an electronics distributor (mouser, digikey, etc) for about 6 bucks.

7. jon_jon

jon_jon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2003
    United States
    The Argon chip is another one for the D2C drives. It doesn't have the long track record of the D2C-Key, but has less number of wires to install and has recently undergone some firmware updates.