WII cant play wiiware and virtual consoles games in the system menu

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by goldenguy43, Mar 19, 2017.

1. goldenguy43
    OP

goldenguy43 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2013
    I installed a wad of megaman 9 but when i acessed it said channel cannot be used.
    What does this mean?

2. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Oct 24, 2015
    Argentina
    Rhizome 9
    Try finding a .wad from your console region. Had this issue before and that solved it. Also make sure that you have IOS80 patched

Last edited by Mr.Faq2015, Mar 19, 2017
  3. goldenguy43
    OP

goldenguy43 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2013
    IOS 80 patch?

4. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Oct 24, 2015
    Argentina
    Rhizome 9
    Well, before anything, this is actually assuming your Wii is in the latest version. You need to patch the System Menu IOS in order to run vc/ww games that weren't legally purchased from the Wii Shop Channel (someone correct me if I'm wrong, please). However, I might be wrong, I'm not 100% sure about this. The best thing you can do to clear this out is to run sysCheck through the Homebrew Channel to see how your IOS setup is: https://gbatemp.net/threads/syscheck-hacksden-edition.356133/, then see if it is possible.
    Patching IOS 80 can be a bad decision though, also installing wads without being careful has a considerable chance of banner bricking the console (make sure you have priiloader). If you don't want to mess up with this there's an alternative: you can try using a backup loader that supports vc/ww emulation and use it to run the games from sd/usb without installing them. Sorry for delayed answer

5. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Trucha-signed WW/VC should run fine from the system menu. It's moving them to SD where you may encounter problems if they're not legitimately signed and the system menu doesn't have the Trucha bug.

It's really better nowadays to run WW/VC from EmuNAND or NEEK.

6. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Oct 24, 2015
    Argentina
    Rhizome 9
    Yeah, thought so. It's a little harder to set up EmuNAND/NEEK though

7. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    EmuNAND is easy if you're using USB Loader GX. Just go to the features setting menu and tell it to dump your NAND to your SD or HDD. Then use the built in WAD manager to install the titles. :)

8. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Oct 24, 2015
    Argentina
    Rhizome 9
    I see... well, guess I'll try on another wii if I ever have the chance. My wii has ios80 patched and runs vc/ww games without issues, other than game-intended slowdowns which are kept on purpose

9. goldenguy43
    OP

goldenguy43 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2013
    Well using usb loader gx did the trick for me but i was wondering since i saw many people booting up the vc games from their system menu.
    I was wondering if patching ios80 is a good idea though

10. goldenguy43
    OP

goldenguy43 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2013
    For some reason when i launch snes games it crashes on startup(black screen) any tips?