Homebrew Wii Browser

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Google code page http://code.google.com/p/wiibrowser/downloads/detail?name=R28.dol&can=2&q=
Home page http://wiibrowser.altervista.org/mainsite/about.html

About The Coder
Gave92 is the brilliant, young, charming coder behind the WiiBrowser project.WiiBrowser was his first project and now it's been worked on for more than a year.It started as a whim, looking at Wii Xplorer project he thought: "would I be able to make it work?"How far it has gone from that!He's done this on his own but some pieces of code come from other opensource projects as WiiMC and WiiXplorer; now He's likely to continue working on this, adding features/making the app more stable.

You can contact him at: "[email protected]".IntroductionWiiBrowser is a homebrew program that lets you browse the internet freely from your Wii (and WiiU).

Features include:
Support for HTML and HTTPS connections
Support for links and web forms
Bookmarks menu
Basic rendering of HTML 4.01 and CSS2
Capable of downloading files to SD/SDHC card
File upload supportAddress bar with on-screen keyboard
Back and Forward navigation
Supported Image Formats: PNG/JPEG/GIF/BMP
Image operations: zoom/move
Autoupdate feature
WishlistPlanned features:Javascript support
Better HTML/CSS rendering
Flash videos!
Multiple tabs

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YES! I played with this last week and gave the coder my thanks over at the WiiBrew forum. So far the browser feels similar to a wap browser and the lead programmer is looking for more help but I think this is a step in the right direction. I still think that this or any other homebrew browser needs to falsify it's browser ID to match the native Android Browser (I miss being able to use G+ from my Wii) but either way, this is great!

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
? man this browser has been up for more then a month almost.(i love fishing on google code for wii stuff dead or alive).
@lightyKD. i thought you were on of the ones working on this all ready or i would have let you know about it. seeing that you an my self along with a few others want a better browser then the weak ass opera that's on the wii now. this browser works great, an i'm glad someone finally listened to others about making one.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not much of a great coder. Now if anyone needs art I'm all in and of course I do a lot of troubleshooting and testing. I'm always willing to spend hours to test if that helps but, yeah, I just found out about this browser last week. It's not just the browser scene that could improve Wii for a "last run" but a beefier Wii Twitter as well as a Facebook and, Google+ client would rock. Even more, if these apps could send info to the message board like status updates, ect that would kick so much ass! I'm surprised that all devs aren't working on some sort of universal "messaging" system in which all apps would have a mailbox icon for quick access to your wii-mail and all apps could send information to that box similar to Wii Connect24. It would be a neat little way to fake the connectivity seen on PS3 and 360.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is a screenshot of the start page

IMG_20130209_212640.jpg

I will share more images in a moment so please lookout for a edit of this post...

EDIT: Sorry about the fact that these 'perfect images but trying to take off screen shots from a tubed HDTV Isn't easy :P With that said this browser does not do background images well and there's no flash video but hey, it's a very early project. I would like to see the navigation bar buttons come inward some as they are a bit off my screen. Other than all of that, this is a great project!

IMG_20130209_212845.jpg

IMG_20130209_213255.jpg

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't matter WiiU's browser is amazing for a console,It loads FAST and the features are GREAT.I'm expecting more browser fuctions from e3 2011.That browser is even better than IE,lol.

This is NOT the Wii U section. This thread is purely about the Wii and possible homebrew browsers. Please do not come in here to brag about the Wii U's perfectly capable web browser. Thank you!

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think anyone can figure it out. I know you can set the download path but that's about it. Side note, some USB keyboard support would be nice
The funny thing is that when I download something say a homebrew app and download it. I then press the plus button to bring up the bottom bar and I click the download button but all it does take me to that starting screen. And USB key board support would be nice.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I used it to download WiiXplorer last release, worked nice :P, only down side is not every page load, it seems it doesn't like the ones you need login for example, regardless very nice app, looking forward to future developments.

gave92

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello all,
I'm gave92 the coder of WiiBrowser ;).
I'm glad to see your interest in my app (thanks XICO2KX for introducing me to this thread).
About the posted questions/suggestions:

1) Next release will include a setting to change the User-Agent
2) To download a file just browse to the desired url and you should be asked whether to save it
Note: the "download" button on the app bar is just to download images or html/text files
3) I'd like to add usb keyboard support but I don't have a wii at the moment and I couldn't get it to work in the emulator i have to use
4) OriginalHamster could you provide an example of login page you found doesn't work?

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
First of all, i think you should be commented, for this is a really useful project for Wii. Opera Wii is way too slow nowadays.

So, some feedback: The current version of browser surprisingly fast IMHO, well done! The overlaying text is a minor issue atm. Also is there a way to permanently turn off the looping music and the rumble? I select those off at the settings however it doesn't save them preferences. On another note, it gives me an update prompt, i comply and then it freezes for about a minute, taking me to HBC next.Lastly, a minor issue: greek fonts don't display correctly.

Thanks again for this app, hope to see more of your great work!

gave92

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, the freeze during the update is fine, that's how I designed it to work (not very nice i know)
When the download completes the app exits to let you use the new version.
(please let me know if it asks to update every time or just once)

About the settings issue.. please try the last version (rev37) loading it from an sd card,
it should solve that bug
In which sites do you find overlaying text?

Basic84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good job on the homebrew app gave92, just wondering is it possible for you to make the wiibrowser to download all kinds of files? If you do that I think you'ed be pretty much done. Things like adding flash video we already have wiimc for that, but if you want to add flash video you could write java scripts for the wiibrowser.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok had let dog out, and yea still can't see it, oh well. Maybe tom night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ballocks these drives aren't allowing raid
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sucks, well you will get double the space then atleast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy needs to come back
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you try Raid 10?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did raid69
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The physical disk keeps disabling in bios
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey ken did you see the aurora tonight?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also sorry it was too cloudy, that sucks
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, This chat is sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So I guess raid0 doesn't allow mismatched storage oh well
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So I guess raid0 doesn't allow mismatched storage oh well