Hacking Wii backup Manager for Windows

ratt1972

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
still has a little more testing first . there are still bugs to get out. If you like what you see help the guy out and donate - whats 5$ these days.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk
XP
Country
The release shouldn't be too far away now.

I fixed the very small but very major bug that ratt1972 found. It happened last week when I was messing around with the WBFS sector sizes to allow more that 500 games. It was a silly 1 liner copy n paste error but it totally screwed up WBFS drives. Luckily it only made it as far as testing stage.
smile.gif

It'll probably be another day or so to make sure I've included all the latest translations and polish off a few rough edges. It really depends on how much time I can squeeze in. I've only got 1 kid left tomorrow night, so I should manage most of it then.
smile.gif

2FastLX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I am a noob here and this is my first post. I registered here to make a feature suggestion, if this is the right place to do so. I was wondering if it could be implemented in Wii Backup Manager to sort the games by game type... ie RPG, FPS, Simulation, etc. Is that possible? I have a couple small drives I use for my games and I was just thinking it would be cool to sort this way to place games of a certain type on a particular drive. So far this is a very cool program. I'll gladly make a donation for the use of this cool app after the next release. Thanks

ratt1972

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
testing the new update - so far so good - drives are now reading all the game i have on drive.

@ 2FastLX - thats a cool idea - maybe in future as i see it's getting a data base up and running to be downloaded into the programs. but i can't see that it can't be done.

2FastLX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Support for more drives would be nice as well. Or maybe I just need to get bigger drives lol. Also, a setting in the titles section to rename the game folder along with the game title. And I know most people don't care, but will there ever be a MAC version? I am asking for a couple friends who absolutely refuse to buy a PC. Just curious. Everything sounds really cool so far for the new release. I can't wait to try it out.

In the future, if you need another guinea pig I'd be happy to be a beta tester. I'm 40 years old and have been playing with video games and computers since the Atari 2600 was brand new
wink.gif

Thanks again

Tzigana

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am new to the site, but only because I am having issues with wii backup manager. I do not know very much about the program, other than that it is very simple to use. My changelog says that I have the 0.3.4 r4 version. I am running windows xp.

The issue I am having is that I transferred a game to my hard drive using the program. It came up as invalid in red letters. I have attempted to delete the invalid file various ways, but it always says: 0 files deleted, 1 error. In addition to this, I cannot transfer the game onto the hard drive anymore because it says that the file is already present, so essentially I cannot load up this game and I can never play it again. I am trying to avoid this outcome. Any advice?

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
@Tzigana
Have you tried "Remove->Invalid items"?

If you have then try the latest version of WBM and send me the log via the "Help->Feedback" so I can see what's happening.

If you're using FAT32 or NTFS (like FIX94 was probably going to suggest
smile.gif
) you could delete the files manually using Windows Explorer.

Do you have any idea why the game is invalid? A little background info on how you got to this point might be helpful.

@2FastLX
I'll add more columns to the lists when I get the database part finished. That'll let you sort by any of the columns, like the genres. There'll be far too many columns though, I hope people realise that you can right click the list header to show/hide only the ones you want.
smile.gif

Support for more drives would be nice as well.
Rather than adding more drives, I'm hopefully going to use the new queue system for transfers as well as the cover downloads. That way you can queue up some transfer jobs and mount another drive without waiting on them to finish.

And I know most people don't care, but will there ever be a MAC version?
Never going to happen. It's written in Delphi and there's no compiler for Mac. Unless I one day port it to use FreePascal. That's the only way there's going to be an x64 version too.

Has anyone tried VMWare Fusion or Parallels? I haven't tried recently, but older versions of WBM were running OK on Linux with wine..

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
I'm using version 0.3.5 beta 1, and it has recently stopped listing all the games on my NTFS drive. I can still see them in file explorer and the wii still finds them all in WiiFlow, but Wii Backup Manager now only list 28 of them.

It seems to start listing them but suddenly jumps the end after the progress bar gets to about 10%.

I'll try a different version and hope that fixes it. Also when I scan the drive for errors in Windows no error is found.

ratt1972

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
new version has fix the game listing - it will soon be release.

and delete game has also been fixed .

WiiTdb is a good place for game info plus amazons. maybe a second column on the other side from covers could be add .ripping the info from those web sites.

this is a lot of ask for a program that only started as a easy way to transfer games around from drive to drive.Now we have a super program .

2FastLX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, sounds cool. I will be checking every few hours for the release
wink.gif

fig2k4 said:
I'll add more columns to the lists when I get the database part finished. That'll let you sort by any of the columns, like the genres. There'll be far too many columns though, I hope people realise that you can right click the list header to show/hide only the ones you want.
smile.gif

That is common in a lot of programs. I think most will know what to do. If not, they should. You could always have the standard set of columns turned on, and more advanced sorting options turned off. It could also be a setting in the settings window on a "View" tab. Then you could add the option of a few different layout options such as horizontal columns for the file list/transfer queue, etc.

Again, not that any of this is really needed, because this is the "Photoshop" of transferring Wii Games.. Just some things to think about.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
I've just upped 0.3.7 build 58.

It's been tested to death and I've "polished" it as much as I can. Only usage by the masses will show up anything that needs fixed.

I can always release some quick fixes if anything needs changed or whatever. I can add some little things now too, now that the bigger jobs are finished, before starting on something bigger again.
smile.gif

Here's the change log..
0.3.7 build 58
|-Fixed: Sort by region column caused the app to hang when the language wasn't English.
|-Fixed: WBFS Disc Info Size wasn't calculated correctly since around build 56 or 57.
|-Fixed: Texture blending mode for covers. They were blending onto black, instead of the background.
|-Added: IOS version shown on all the lists.
|-Fixed: IOS version wasn't correct for all games. I was also reading the IOS for all partitions instead of just the data partition.

0.3.7 build 57 (debug)
|-Added: Untranslated strings are now at the end of the lang file. After translating some of them, run "Update language strings" again to reorganise everything.
|-Added: 2 version values in lang files. "Strings version" = contains all the strings for this version of WBM. "Translation version" = strings are translated up to this version. Translators should manually change this value to reflect the version they translated for. ie. After you translate the strings, "Translation version" should equal "Strings version".
|-Added: Wrote a file download class using WinInet. It's much more stable than anything else I tried. Now downloads can be paused, resumed and stopped on demand. The app can be safetly closed at any time too, without error. Use internet options in control panel to set a Proxy and delete the cache etc.
|-Changed: Stopped using the SVN version of fastmm, it causes errors in Delphi XE. Now using the Built in Delphi version.
|-Added: Jobs page to view and work with the job queue.
|-Changed: Rewrote the job queue system so it's threaded. (Rewrote it 4 times actually
tongue.gif
)
|-Fixed: Temp files weren't deleted when adding archives to the files page. The problem must've existed since changing to using the 7Zip DLL.
|-Fixed: Invalid date format when removing backup logs, causing the app to crash on start up.

0.3.7 build 56 (debug)
|-Fixed: Scene freeze when changing the cover display types with the OpenGL renderer.
|-Added: Version checks etc. for the renderers because sometimes they can initialise OK, but if the available API is too old then it can cause the app to hang.
|-Fixed: OpenGL renderer code. It should init OK now.

0.3.7 build 55 (debug)
|-Fixed: Fixed startup errors when no compatible 3D API was available (OpenGL/D3D)
|-Added: Application icon by NahuelDS. Thanks.

0.3.7 build 54 (debug)
|-Added: Invalid cover images are automatically deleted and re-downloaded when necessary.
|-Added: Column to show IOS version on the files page. I'll add it to others soon.
|-Added: %APP% tag that can be used in the temp and cover paths to make them relative to the app folder.
|-Added: Cover support. Download and display on the fly or use the menu to download missing covers. Plenty of options to customise how you want use it.
|-Fixed: When "Use mounted volumes only" is clicked in settings, any edited display names are saved before rebuilding the drive list.
|-Changed: Volumes and partitions use the display format "Drive (1:1)", where the numbers represent the disk/partition number.
|-Added: Support for disk partitions not recognised by Windows. See the entry below for an example of how this can happen..
|-Added: When formatting to WBFS, the partition type is updated in the MBR as 0x07 (PARTITION_IFS). If formatting from ext3 for example, the drive is much harder to detect in Windows. Changing to IFS even allows a drive letter to be assigned.
|-Added: GPT disk support in various functions, like the FAT32 format.
|-Fixed: Column data in the settings file caused an AV on startup. Something wasn't saving correctly since the move to Unicode. I worked round it by saving/loading a compressed version of the data.
|-Fixed: More translation stuff. Square brackets were getting removed and Radio buttons weren't translated.
|-Fixed: I totally rewrote the "Remove" menu functions. It was reported that there was an AV after removing discs from a WBFS drive, so the new code handles things differently.
|-Fixed: I was removing colons ":" from the langstrings.txt and language files when automatically updating the language strings.

2FastLX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow, I must be one of the first non-testers to see this huh? Works beautifully so far. I got it to grab me some covers, which is easier than doing it in USB Loader. And have been checking out how the Jobs window works. Very slick. You can ignore what I suggested in my last post about the different views. You already did it, only much nicer!

recacer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
man, that screenshot looks sweet. diggin the artwork option.

i originally posted this on the wode forum, but see that it might be better suited here...

i suppose my only request, would be to have a "refresh" or "f5" option. when i convert/transfer, since i'm doing it from dvd straight to the designated location, i have the hdd selected in drive 1 just so i can verify the file has arrived there safely. in order to see the newly transferred file i need to select out of the current drive letter by choosing inactive and then back to the drive. if there was a refresh option it would make things a bit easier.

great work fig... and all the testers!

EDIT: artwork dl's were quick and easy. i love the jobs tab.

DGenerateKane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love the latest version! Any chance you could add the ability to download cheats from geckocodes.org? That would make this program just about perfect!

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Looking good so far then Cheers for the feedback. I have a knack of speaking too soon, so a bug will crop up soon.
tongue.gif

@recacer
It would be easier just to transfer straight the the drive, since you've mounted it anyway. But I'll add the refresh using F5, it should only take a few seconds to do. There's no point having a refresh button since you can just as quickly select the drive again to refresh it. (There's no need to select "Inactive", just select the same drive).

@DGenerateKane
I'm sure you or someone else asked about geckocodes.org before.
smile.gif
It should be easy to do.

2FastLX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have been using it now since my last post. No problems at all yet. How about an installer? Yeah, I'm lazy! And a better icon would be great too. The one that comes standard is way too light having a white Wii on a white background. It doesn't really show up in the quick launch bar with the silver windows theme running. It's got me looking for an icon editor to create my own. I thought I mentioned this earlier, but maybe I forgot, but I would like to see a folder rename option as well. Or will it do this an I am just missing it somewhere?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.