fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk
XP
Country
@Ato Puro
I could add an option to ignore archives, or maybe even a check list, so you can select which archive types to use. So you'd be able to untick 7zip and they'd be ignored.

@Anyone that's interested
I spent the whole of last night reworking the logging system. I've added a stack trace for exceptions that can even show the exact line number in my code where the exception happened.
smile.gif
I should be able to easily track down the the problems with threads terminating early using this. I can now go through all the debug messages and add more detail to them, memory dumps, more details about partition tables etc.

The info is also saved to file just in case the app hangs, the log is still available. It was a lot more work than it seems, a few times I wished I hadn't started it
smile.gif
, but it was worth it.

http://yfrog.com/jbnewlogj

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ran some tests on the drive i was having issues with on the transferring speed where it would crap out at like .2mb per second when normally i would get around 25mb per second and it turns out the drive has bad sectors so I'm going to RMA it to western digital and get a replacement.

It worked fine before when i had it formatted to wbfs and was using it but then i wanted to convert everything to fat32 so i reformatted the drive and tried transferring the games and that's when i ran into the issues i had.

Any chance that formatting the drive to fat32 using the latest beta could have caused the bad sectors on the hard drive?

redia

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
fig2k4 said:
The info is also saved to file just in case the app hangs, the log is still available. It was a lot more work than it seems, a few times I wished I hadn't started it
smile.gif
, but it was worth it.

http://yfrog.com/jbnewlogj
sweet.. I like the way your logs look now.. great work.
I wonder if people will realize that you hinted them on the new release
wink.gif

R

Ato Puro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
fig2k4 said:
@Ato Puro
I could add an option to ignore archives, or maybe even a check list, so you can select which archive types to use. So you'd be able to untick 7zip and they'd be ignored.

@fig2k4
I don't know how much work it'd be for you to do that; nor do I know if anyone else cares about this. I just find it easier to select "folder" and "select all" and let WBM de-select items already present at Drive 1, than to choose "file" and find the one I want amidst all the .ISOs I keep as backups. It's the lazy way. hehehe. Since reading .ISO is much faster than extracting files (I need at least 4mb or I get error), I just think it'd be nice if WBM ignored compressed files or showed the file name as the game name (so no unzipping is necessary, but no details on the game, as region, partitions, etc.). If no one else cares, just leave it alone. The logging update, for instance, is a much better time spent.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
@Ato Puro
It should be quite quick to add the "none" suggestion. But better to name it "Ignore archives", since just blindly adding archives to the list would mean that there could be loads of invalid files added when adding a folder.

@redia
Cheers. It took me a while to spot what you mean myself, because it was unintentional.
smile.gif
I'm just about to start work on it again after the little side-step to rework the logging system.

I've added a simple feedback form too. It takes seconds to send me a bug report, or just send some feedback, so there's no excuse. lol
http://yfrog.com/c9feedbackp0j

Another feature that would be really handy is an online update, so I could make more regular beta releases and get a lot more feedback. There's just the problem of web space and bandwidth. There's been a few hundred thousand downloads from official sources so maybe a free host wouldn't be enough. They'd probably frown upon me using it for that too.. I'll need to find something..
smile.gif

redia

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
@redia
Cheers. It took me a while to spot what you mean myself, because it was unintentional.
smile.gif
I'm just about to start work on it again after the little side-step to rework the logging system.

wink.gif

I've added a simple feedback form too. It takes seconds to send me a bug report, or just send some feedback, so there's no excuse. lol
neat idea and can be pretty handy...

Another feature that would be really handy is an online update, so I could make more regular beta releases and get a lot more feedback. There's just the problem of web space and bandwidth. There's been a few hundred thousand downloads from official sources so maybe a free host wouldn't be enough. They'd probably frown upon me using it for that too.. I'll need to find something..
smile.gif

see my PM.

Cheers,
R

Ato Puro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
"Ignore archives" sounds better indeed. Online update would also be a great feature. By the way, how about WBM looking for titles.txt or custom-titles.txt in its folder, instead of using "last opened path", from settings.ini ? WBM could search the path in settings.ini and if not found it looks for in its folder, so manually editing isn't necessary. (You see, all my suggestions are for the lazy guy
tongue.gif
Don't bother with them if they mean hardish work)

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
By the way, how about WBM looking for titles.txt or custom-titles.txt in its folder, instead of using "last opened path", from settings.ini ? WBM could search the path in settings.ini and if not found it looks for in its folder, so manually editing isn't necessary.
Duh, I was checking if the custom location string was empty, instead of checking if the file existed there. A simple change Length() to FileExists() did the trick. It'll now use the files in the app folder if the file doesn't exist in the custom location. That reminds me, I'll need to do something similar for the temp folder. That's been on the todo list for a while.
smile.gif

@All
As some people know, I'm working on using the WiiTDB database to show game info etc. The question is, should I completely replace the titles.txt with the WiiTDB.xml? I don't see the point of having both. Unless there's a decent reason not to, I was thinking about removing the titles.txt support and replacing it with the titles from the xml.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I think there has to be a reason why usb-loaders support both the xml and the titles.txt... I can't for the life of me think of it though. I think that if Dr. Clipper (or someone from the configurable team) were to share why CFG USB-Loader supports both, it may help u decide what to do with your app.

edit: I PM'd Dr. Clipper with a link to this post, so we'll just wait and see what insight he has to offer
biggrin.gif

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
XFlak said:
I think there has to be a reason why usb-loaders support both the xml and the titles.txt... I can't for the life of me think of it though. I think that if Dr. Clipper (or someone from the configurable team) were to share why CFG USB-Loader supports both, it may help u decide what to do with your app.

edit: I PM'd Dr. Clipper with a link to this post, so we'll just wait and see what insight he has to offer
biggrin.gif
We support both because some people prefer one or the other method. We also add custom-titles.txt as that won't be auto-updated via download, so the user has full control over that file, unlike titles.txt and WiiTDB.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
custom-titles.txt will always have priority over the WiiTDB titles.

For the next release, I'll disable the titles.txt in favour of the database.
ninja.gif
If there's a public outcry to bring it back, I will LOL. But I think most people will just see the benefits of using the database.

Using a database structure, I can keep track of all "seen" games and download the covers in the background using this info. Obviously I could store that somewhere else, but it's easier this way. I can add other tags to the game info as requested (eg. wanted games, game ratings, scrubbed sizes, WBM's MD5 hashes so they can be compared without another drive). The WiiTDB will be read only, but will be updatable without losing the tags. On the database page there'll be a filter so you could for example, view all the games you own, without even plugging in your drives. Maybe some of this info could be uploaded to WiiTDB in the future. It would be quite good to get an average rating for the games etc. similar to IMDB. Anyway, just a few ideas..

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
So......
40Gb in 10min (eSata) = about 10 games in 10mins, meaning 248 games would take about 248min = 4h 10m, while USB3 would work out to be ~2h 30m (in theory)

What huh?
smile.gif
USB 3.0 and SATA/eSATA are going to be about the same.

10 games (23.37gig) transferred from SATA to:

eSATA - 6:09 minutes
USB 3.0 - 6:18 minutes
USB 2.0 - 26:33 minutes

A larger sample - 950 games (1662.27gig) takes 8hrs on USB 3.0 - A little faster on SATA.

Using WBM 0.3.4

Whoops - forgot to mention to keep in mind the average size of a Wii game is 1.75gigs - that's all your transferring...
so 10 average games would be 17.5 gigs but you can't really go by that. The above is in practice, not theory, and the
same 10 games were used (23.37gigs worth)

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to know if there are any negative effects that may come from only keeping the game partition and removing any U, C, and O partitions a game may have.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
The only negative would be if you want to later burn the game to disc and use one of those removed partitions. If you're only ever going to play that copy of the game from a USB loader, then there's only the positive effect that it takes less space on your drive.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
@icebrg5
Sorry, I missed your message.. I don't think just formatting the drive would cause bad sectors. More likely to be faulty, or sudden power loss by unplugging it while it's in use. Maybe unplugging it while the Wii is turned on or without using "safetly remove hardware" in Windows. You'd know better if you've done anything like that. Dropping the drive at all could obviously cause it too.
smile.gif

Edit: BTW, the formatting code in WBM is converted from the FAT32Format source to Delphi, so WBM does exactly the same thing as that app when formatting to FAT32.

Jman69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fig2k4 said:
The only negative would be if you want to later burn the game to disc and use one of those removed partitions. If you're only ever going to play that copy of the game from a USB loader, then there's only the positive effect that it takes less space on your drive.
Is there a way to easily remove unwanted partitions from games already on a USB drive? Currently the only way I've found is to move the game off the USB drive, then re-add it with "Keep game partition only" enabled.

Is there a quicker way?

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Don't know if this was mentioned before (too lazy to wade though 102 pages), but when I try to extract password protected RAR-files it doesn't ask me for the password.

Not a big problem I can extract first and then later use WBM for .WBFS conversion, but I thought it might be a bit more convinient if WBM had this option.

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Are people in this thread using a more recent beta version than I have (0.3.5 beta 1)? Is a public release planned soon?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Hey hey!