Gaming Wii 480p Video Bug Discovered

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maese jesus
The TCL 2018 tvs have the best input lag, also the Samsung tvs from last year are great too but expensive, i don't like Smart features seems dumb for me if you hace a PC already, ill buy a 55" screen just because the best picture quality is somehow exclusivo to that sizes, i'll prefer a 32".
I agree with you the first plasmas look good but have image retention, then lcd apear but can't handle 240p, LED appear great but FullHD is just 40" and above, then 60fps etc. I will be fine with a screen that can handle all my retro consoles and show a good fullHD content

My 55" Vizio is a native 120Hz panel;. ;)

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here are some photos (fixed/original) of my 640x480p LCD displaying Mario Kart Wii both with and without the 480p fix. This is great because the 1:1 pixel output allows you to see the differences at a sub-pixel resolution.

It's best if you download full size photos and compare them in an image viewer rather than your web browser.

Places to look for differences
1. e of Channel
2. inside the a of Back
3. glasses frame on my Mii
4. Ms of Main Menu

Conclusion
- fixed: graphics are pixel aligned horizontally
- original: graphics are not pixel aligned horizontally

Extrems original (before/after) checkerboard image (click to view 1:1):

Last edited by matt!,
Reactions: Draxikor

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by matt!,
Reactions: Draxikor

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Right now the fix is available as a Gecko Cheat code for Mario Kart Wii.
http://wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/User:Leseratte#480p_graphics_fix

Not64 the N64 emulator on Wii also has the fix.

Support in some loaders is apparently coming soon.

I see well i need to wait for those fixed loaders, i´m actually using the debug build that "blackb0x" upload to test if games is fixed, but i cant manage to open the loader with a SD card, everytime i tried to do that the loader never pass the "Loading USB" unless i disconect the SD card.

Last edited by Draxikor,

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see well i need to wait for those fixed loaders, i´m actually using the debug build that "blackb0x" upload to test if games is fixed, but i cant manage to open the loader with a SD card, everytime i tried to do that the loader never pass the "Loading USB" unless i disconect the SD card.
If the official version works for you then my version should too since all I've done is apply a very simple patch to the existing boot.dol.

According to @Extrems both Wii and GC games need patches to be applied to them, so the patched versions of USB Loader GX and Nintendont that I shared before will only fix the applications interface.

@leseratte shared a debug build of USB Loader GX that patches Wii games. Nothings been published for Nintendont though, so GC games won't look any better.

Last edited by blackb0x,

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If the official version works for you then my version should too since all I've done is apply a very simple patch to the existing boot.dol.

According to @Extrems both Wii and GC games need patches to be applied to them, so the patched versions of USB Loader GX and Nintendont that I shared before will only fix the applications interface.

@leseratte shared a debug build of USB Loader GX that patches Wii games. Nothings been published for Nintendont though, so GC games won't look any better.
Actually i know that there isnt a patch for nintendont i hope someone do it in the future, the problem with the loader is something weird, some time ago i have a WD HDD and the loader works with a sd connected without problems, but that HDD broke and i buy another of the exact same model and size and that doesnt work, any usb loader GX dol i test freeze on the load usb screen, isnt a big issue cause i just disconnect the SD and works fine, but is something weird even wiiflow works fine but in the new HDD dont.

WobblingPixels

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Looks like the bug is also present in later models (all?) and the 480p fix has zero affect with these models.
It took me a while to realize that this is the same 480p bug as with rev01 because the common knowledge was "Nintendo has fixed it after rev01" Thanks to the user "kimbapslice" for testing with rev04 and rev06 NTSC consoles and confirming the same blurry output as with my rev04 PAL console.

rev01.png

rev04.png

rev06.png

fur.png

Last edited by WobblingPixels,
Reactions: Webardo and ted209

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Maybe it's just me, but the rev04 and rev06 shots seem zoomed in and stretched, I don't know if a comparison between those and the first is fair.

Are all the shots made with the same settings? The deflicker looks turned off on the first, but for the others it feels like it is not.

With that said it'd be worth testing more, sure. The input from experienced people like Extrems would be wonderful too.

WobblingPixels

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They are not stretched. The first images are offscreen photos. The last one is done by me. I have tested several games (and 240p testsuite) using retrotink5x with optimlal timings (all same settings), 480p fix enabled, framebuffer resolution enabled, 4:3 and I couldn't understand why all the interpolation is visible despite the assumption Rev04 shouldn't have that bug. Same goes for the user who was able to confirm the test results.

I guess I am not experienced enough to trust my test results?! ;-D

This is how rev01 without 480p fix applied looks like.
More info: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=70398

3UsP2P7.png

Last edited by WobblingPixels,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I wasn't saying you did not know what you're talking about, I remember you did a video with OSSC settings a couple of years ago so I know you have experience.

It's just that the proportions seem wider on the other shots. The interpolation is visible of course. I have a rev06 wii and never saw a difference with the 480p fix on or off, but it was always said that it wasn't for my model so...

If it indeed is still there on the other revs I hope it can be fixed too. I remember reading the shmups forums for years trying to follow on this.

Looking at the 240p testsuit little snatcher guy on my wii looks cleaner than that, for whatever that's worth, but that's hardly technical.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=urglg3WimHA&list=RDPKZFk5t3czs&index=12&pp=8AUB