USB Loader GX 480p fix

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Bladeoner, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Bladeoner
    OP

Bladeoner GBAtemp Regular

Oct 15, 2018
    Netherlands

Attached Files:

2. Extrems

Extrems GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2013
    Canada
    Quebec, Canada
    This won't fix games.

3. Bladeoner
    OP

Oct 15, 2018
    Netherlands
    But it does fix the homebrew application right?

Tarmfot likes this.
  4. Extrems

Extrems GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2013
    Canada
    Quebec, Canada
    I haven't tested it, but sure? It'll also fix it for Devolution.

5. Bladeoner
    OP

Oct 15, 2018
    Netherlands
    What I did is I backported your fix in Libogc 1.8.16 because USB Loader GX is build with that and not updated for a while...
    After that I compiled it USB Loader GX with the fix you provided.

rogerioronin likes this.
  6. baco81

baco81 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2017
    Hello.

I have taken a couple of screenshots (my TV has this feature) to Mario Kart Wii loaded by:
    • the standard USB Loader GX version:
    SMK_nofix_1. SMK_nofix_2.
    • the USB loader GX version published on this thread by Bladeoner:
    SMK_usbloader_fix_1. SMK_usbloader_fix_2.
    • the USB loader GX published on this thread by Bladeoner + the cheat code published here by Leseratte10:
    SMK_usbloader_and_cheat_fix_1. SMK_usbloader_and_cheat_fix_2.

(Note: All of them are in 480p with 4:3 aspect ratio)

Last edited by baco81, Apr 22, 2019
    MaeseJesus and Bladeoner like this.
  7. blackb0x

blackb0x Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Okay, so I replaced the boot.dol and booted up my Wii and everything was fine. But after doing a full shutdown and starting it up again it now constantly wipes the loaders config file after a reboot.

If I restore the official version of USB Loader GX, adjust my settings and then reboot it'll correctly remember everything.

Last edited by blackb0x, Apr 22, 2019
  8. Bladeoner
    OP

Oct 15, 2018
    Netherlands
    Like you said in the Snes9x GX thread I don't see any difference.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That is strange, I didn't test that, thanks for the feedback.

9. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    I'm *not* experienced in this subject at all, but I want to share that maybe we really need to modify the games themselves, as Extrems said in the USB Loader GX thread, more than applying a cheat or change "on the fly", if the cheatcodes don't make a difference.

When I discovered Ralph's "Force 60Hz" codes for PAL gamecube games on the GC-Forever forums, they didn't work on real hardware. I needed to rewrite the isos themselves for the change to make an effect. I can't exactly remember why, but it had to do with the differences between emulating games vs playing them on hardware, and how the RAM had data stored in different ways and such.

10. blackb0x

blackb0x Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2019
    United Kingdom
    It looks like I'm not alone too.

sourceforge.net/p/usbloadergx/issues/2370/#2dde/2eaf

I can only assume the updated tools are to blame? A quick comparison shows that libwiidrc.a didn't originally exist and libogc.a in libogc\lib\cube & libogc\lib\wii is different.

11. Bladeoner
    OP

Oct 15, 2018
    Netherlands
    I saw that, libogc.a in both cube and wii contain the change Extrems provided and libwiidrc.a is necessary to complete the build process:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/usbloadergx/issues/2362/

Maybe its the wrong libwiidrc.a version.

Last edited by Bladeoner, Apr 22, 2019
  12. blackb0x

blackb0x Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I mean technically only libogc.a has changed and that handles a lot more than just video. And by extracting the file I can also tell that you compiled it differently, so maybe that's whats up? :unsure:

To confirm if libogc.a is the issue could you compile the loader again with the original libogc.a? If you're unable to reproduce the issue yourself I'd test it for you and let you know if it works.

I've deleted the patched version that I uploaded since I was able to compile the loader myself and determine that libogc.a isn't what's at fault.

@Cyan mentions how to compile it at gbatemp.net/posts/8461108

He's using an old version of devkitPro with old libraries.

13. blackb0x

blackb0x Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2019
    United Kingdom
    No matter what I did I couldn't get a compiled version of the loader to work correctly, so I patched the official boot.dol file instead :)

I've attached a patched version of the loader, a patched version of the original lib and a patched version of Nintendont.

To manually patch the files search for 38 80 00 01 38 60 00 65 and replace it with 38 80 00 03 38 60 00 65

The patch can be applied to other applications too e.g. mGBA, Genesis Plus GX, Wii64 or WiiMC. All you need is a simple hex editor like HxD.

Attached Files:

Last edited by blackb0x, Apr 23, 2019
  14. Bladeoner
    OP

Oct 15, 2018
    Netherlands
    I just use the tools provided on the official website of USB Loader GX because they should match with the application:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbloadergx/files/Libraries/

I think Cyan is using the same.

15. blackb0x

blackb0x Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I did get it to compile, but the loader still loses it's settings even when using the original unpatched tools. So we can only assume that his dependencies must be different.

I've come up with an almost universal patch that only requires a hex editor though, so that's a win :) Now if only the same could be done for games.

Last edited by blackb0x, Apr 23, 2019
    Bladeoner likes this.
  16. leseratte

leseratte GBAtemp Regular

Jun 2, 2012
    Germany
    Can be done for games, the patch just isn't that simple. I will try to add that kind of auto-patch to the USB-Loader GX in the near future.

@baco81 @Bladeoner The bug is apparently only present on older Wiis; when you use a WiiU or a newer Wii you don't see a difference

Bladeoner, blackb0x and baco81 like this.
  17. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    ...Oh wait, so you're saying that the RVL-60 (and some RVL-40) "improved image quality" could actually be the very same thing as this discovery?

Jesus, the world is small.

Last edited by MaeseJesus, Apr 23, 2019
  18. baco81

baco81 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2017
    Hello @leseratte
    I own two Wii. I am not sure about the second, but the one that I have attached to the TV is still from those which you can install bootmii as boot2, so is probably one of the older ones.
    I am looking forward to this patch of yours ^_^

Last edited by baco81, Apr 23, 2019
  19. Bladeoner
    OP

Oct 15, 2018
    Netherlands
    I'm also looking forward for the patch.

To see the difference I tested Snes9x GX with Libogc patch and without. And what I saw is that especially the text in the emulator is sharper in the game selection screen.

Last edited by Bladeoner, May 5, 2019
  20. Draxikor

Draxikor Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2019
    Mexico
    ThereĀ“s a guide to do this patch? im new on this stuff, i try to learn this things