fbscarel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi there guys, first post here.

I've read the noob guides extensively, and nearly memorized the process of softmodding one of those new 4.2U Wii's, which was what I was looking forward to buy. However, a much better (as in cheaper) opportunity appeared and I bought an older 3.2J Wii.

It's already got Bootmii (on boot2) and HBC. However, I'd like to update it to a 4.x firmware in order to be able to load backups from USB and so on. Moreover, all the menus are in japanese and I can't really understand anything.

So, my question is: what would be the recommended procedure to update this 3.2J Wii to a newer firmware version (allowing USB backup loads) and installing system menus in English? Also, it'd be nice if Bootmii was kept in boot2, since I've read it's much safer this way, brick-wise.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
im pretty sure you stumbled across my guide

it supports ntsc-j wii's
the process is the same.

RetroHero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You dont need 4.0+ to read USB drives. Cios rev 10 (I believe maybe even earlier) add that functionality.

If your Wii is working don't bother updating the firmware. The work arounds can brick your wii.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it is cIOS rev10 and up that add USB support
biggrin.gif

fbscarel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sure it's working and I really didn't want to change that much... but the Japanese menu and the done-by-someone-else softmod installation really bugs me.

fbscarel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That a nice idea...

I've got another question though: I read that 4.2 firmware won't let region free games run... does that mean that, if I follow xzxero's guide and update to 4.2 I will be able to play only Japanese games?

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, it prevents region free disc loading, like with a mod chip that would normally take care of it.

you can always go 4.1 if you want.

and again, if you use any region changer like suggested, you could switch to a different region and have an english menu

fbscarel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Followed your advice guys... went with region changer and cIOS to add USB support, not updating the whole firmware. Worked like a charm. Thanks for your help!

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
From what he has said he has no interest in updating anyways.

And he has a japanese Wii, not a korean one...

I did downgrade 2 japanese kuro Wiis in order to region change them and did upgrade via official servers(when 4.1 was lastest FW) and my Wiis didnt brick. AFAIK this happens only to region changed KOR Wiis.

fbscarel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As GodLike said, I'm fine by now. Everything I want to work (English menu and load backup via USB) is working, so why change? =)

And yes, Bootmii in on boot2, so I suppose I'm fine if something not to terrible happens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all