Wii #2698 - Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (Europe)

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still not clear if the Portal of Power is interchangeable between systems. Thinking, in theory, you could buy the 3DS version and “download” the Wii version and play the game. But I can’t find any info on how the PoP connects to the various systems like PC, 360, 3DS, etc. Anyone who bought it, can you provide some insight.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still not clear if the Portal of Power is interchangeable between systems. Thinking, in theory, you could buy the 3DS version and “download” the Wii version and play the game. But I can’t find any info on how the PoP connects to the various systems like PC, 360, 3DS, etc. Anyone who bought it, can you provide some insight.

3DS version uses iR

gamecaptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Shadow#1. What about the other versions? PC, Wii, 360, PS3?

Just read this: "The box contains Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure Nintendo 3DS game, 3 Skylanders figures (Nintendo 3DS Exclusive Dark Spyro, Stealth Elf, and Ignitor), a Portal of Power, 3 AAA Duracell batteries, a character poster, 3 trading cards, 3 sticker sheets, 3 web codes, and a USB to mini USB cable."

I'm assuming the other versions use the USB to connect to the console (as well as the PC). I'm thinking they are interchangeable. I'm going to buy it and give it a try.

BillnTed

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From the review in Ars Technica, the 3DS version is wireless but has a USB cable which can plug into the Wii USB port or even a Mac USB port, and the characters are cross-platform. The console versions will work on a PC once a driver has been installed.

steviec0411

Trophies
XP
Country

Just read this: "The box contains Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure Nintendo 3DS game, 3 Skylanders figures (Nintendo 3DS Exclusive Dark Spyro, Stealth Elf, and Ignitor), a Portal of Power, 3 AAA Duracell batteries, a character poster, 3 trading cards, 3 sticker sheets, 3 web codes, and a USB to mini USB cable."

I'm assuming the other versions use the USB to connect to the console (as well as the PC). I'm thinking they are interchangeable. I'm going to buy it and give it a try.

I've got the kids the 360 version as part of their christmas - I obviously tried it out to make sure it was all working fine before packing away... when doing so, I also tried it with the softmodded Wii also - the Portal powered up no problem, lights all coming on, etc - however, the game did not seem to find the portal... :( I'm not sure though if this is to do with only one of the USB ports fully working with the cIOS rev I have currently?!?.... Any other ideas?

Hope this helps somehow....

EDIT - I meant to say - the fully working USB port is connected to my HD.

Oh, and Hello! Seeing as I've been a long-time lurker.... ;)

steviec0411

Trophies
XP
Country
try those old hermes cios, 222 and 223 v4. i think those were the most compatible with with guitar hero games (that used usb peripherals)

Thanks for the advice roubagalinhas. I'm a little reluctant to go messing about with the settings on the Wii, as everyone works perfectly fine right now (except for this one thing that may still not work after I try updating) - however, in case I do try to change some stuff I had a look at ModMii... Would this be the way to go, and if so - will it recognise that the Wii is already softmodded and just update what it needs to? I'm kinda afraid of bricking it, as I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a NAND backup or anything - due to being done with the original Zelda hack, way back when....

Cheers again! :)

roubagalinhas

Trophies
XP
Country
first it would be better for you to run a syscheck to know exactly what you have installed, as you might already have them

i'm refering in particular to these two wad/cioses: cIOS222[38]-v4.wad and cIOS223[37-38]-v4.wad (can be downloaded with mod-mii)
if you have v5 or v5.1 they might work as well

what system version are you running? you might as well need to update system ioses (the best for that in my opinion is dop-mii)

Reactions: 1 person

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This game is a disgusting rip-off. If you want a 100% complete game file you have to spend a whooping £220 (that's $352)!!! True, you can get to the 'end' of the game with the first 3 characters but the game constantly reminds you that you haven't been ripped-off yet.
Read this article, it sums up my opinion entirely.
I think partially the intention of the dev, beside gaining money through merchandise and peripherals, is to enhance the need for people to play co-op and bring their characters others don`t have to a friends house to see whole new areas and things... I think that`s a great idea for the young audience and I think they will appreciate, that they always get to see new things with every character, even though the wallets of their parents will get thinner and thinner... :P

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
This game is a disgusting rip-off. If you want a 100% complete game file you have to spend a whooping £220 (that's $352)!!! True, you can get to the 'end' of the game with the first 3 characters but the game constantly reminds you that you haven't been ripped-off yet.
I think partially the intention of the dev, beside gaining money through merchandise and peripherals, is to enhance the need for people to play co-op and bring their characters others don`t have to a friends house to see whole new areas and things... I think that`s a great idea for the young audience and I think they will appreciate, that they always get to see new things with every character, even though the wallets of their parents will get thinner and thinner... :P

That's part of the money making part, kids will always want to 'collect them all' and gradually parents will become aware of how much this one game has cost them, but only after they've spent >£100 on it.
This is pretty typical of Activision imo, guitar hero: extra plastic crap, CoD: extra map packs. But this is one step to far, having to spend £220 to be able to complete the game is just ridiculous, and the even more worrying thing is that nowhere on the box does it say 'extra purchase may be necessary to complete the game' or w/e.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game is a disgusting rip-off. If you want a 100% complete game file you have to spend a whooping £220 (that's $352)!!! True, you can get to the 'end' of the game with the first 3 characters but the game constantly reminds you that you haven't been ripped-off yet. Read this article, it sums up my opinion entirely.

I understand your point, but the game's marketing isn't bent towards hardcore completists. If you are one, then I can see why it would bother you to spend so much on it. I'm a dad, so want to get the game and SLOWLY expand the number of figures I have to entertain and play with my son. The game works for that. Plus he can be rewarded with a new figure when he exhibits good behavior. The game works for my situation, plus I just want to play it. ^_^

gamecaptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've got the kids the 360 version as part of their christmas - I obviously tried it out to make sure it was all working fine before packing away... when doing so, I also tried it with the softmodded Wii also - the Portal powered up no problem, lights all coming on, etc - however, the game did not seem to find the portal... :( I'm not sure though if this is to do with only one of the USB ports fully working with the cIOS rev I have currently?!?.... Any other ideas?

Hope this helps somehow....

EDIT - I meant to say - the fully working USB port is connected to my HD.

Oh, and Hello! Seeing as I've been a long-time lurker.... ;)

Hi Steviec0411, thank you for posting that info about the portal. So that leads me to believe that only the 360 and PC versions are POSBBILY interchangeable since they both work off USB (natively).

Anyone else tried any cross-platform attempts with the portal?

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm just hoping that the toy gimmick won't be popular. It may convince other developers to use it. Imagine pokemon, if you want to catch em all, you'll have to get 549 toys. That's pure madness.

steviec0411

Trophies
XP
Country
first it would be better for you to run a syscheck to know exactly what you have installed, as you might already have them

i'm refering in particular to these two wad/cioses: cIOS222[38]-v4.wad and cIOS223[37-38]-v4.wad (can be downloaded with mod-mii)
if you have v5 or v5.1 they might work as well

what system version are you running? you might as well need to update system ioses (the best for that in my opinion is dop-mii)

Thanks again for the advice roubagalinhas - I eventually 'bit the bullet' and decided to try out ModMii... and I'm so glad I did. It was fantastically simple to do - that's the Wii fully up to date now - brilliant! Only downside is that the portal still does not seem to work... oh well...

Hi Steviec0411, thank you for posting that info about the portal. So that leads me to believe that only the 360 and PC versions are POSBBILY interchangeable since they both work off USB (natively).

Anyone else tried any cross-platform attempts with the portal?

Hi gamecaptor - you're very welcome! As you can see above, I updated all my cIOS files, and system version, etc, in the hope that this would resolve the issues regarding it not finding the portal - however, it has not managed to resolve this at all... so it does look as though it will require a wireless portal, as that is the message that I continually receive... :(

I have tried the portal in both of the USB sockets - both supply power (ie. the portal cycles through the various colours) however it is not recognised in the game... disappointing.... only hope that someone can come up with some kind of hack to allow this to work!

With regard to the posts accusing the game of being a rip-off - I suppose that could be true - but as said above, only in so far as all collections could be... Over the years we've spent fortunes on toys/characters that are part of a collection, and don't do anything (or next to nothing) other than look good... Where this idea is fantastic though is that you get the characters and cards - but they come to life in the game! My kids will love it!

From what I have seen so far - I personally hope it does take off. As a kid I would have loved to have had a system like this... Damn - as an adult I want a system like this for some proper grown-up gaming! :D

bRKcRE

Trophies
XP
Country

from what i read in that article, and from what i have seen about the net about this game, you would technically only have to purchase an extra 5 figurines. the game has 8 different elemental types, you get 3 types in the box, thus only requiring you to purchase the extra 5 elements/figurines...there may be 32 figurines to collect, but unless you gotta have them all, the redundancy would be kind of expensive ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, ohkay