Wii #2018 - Monster Hunter Tri (USA)

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyan said:
Having played previous MH is a plus or not needed ?

I was looking into this as well because I've never played one either, the Eurogamer review says this one's a lot easier on new players and does a good job of introducing the game mechanics without being too boring for fans of the series. Apparently previous games haven't had so much a learning curve as a learning cliff and were pretty tough for newcomers to get into.

Set it downloading before I went to work, I'll give it a go tomorrow. That's once I've found an idiot's guide to gettign it working on USb Loader GX, it's so long between when I actually find a game on the Wii I want to play that I need to update shit for that it's like learning everything all over again.

cocomonk22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In life, there're hunters...
and then there're MONSTER hunters!
mh32.png

Zharay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Cyan said:
Having played previous MH is a plus or not needed ?

I was looking into this as well because I've never played one either, the Eurogamer review says this one's a lot easier on new players and does a good job of introducing the game mechanics without being too boring for fans of the series. Apparently previous games haven't had so much a learning curve as a learning cliff and were pretty tough for newcomers to get into.

It is more that the original series takes a lot of time and effort to get anywhere. Having played both Tri and Freedom Unite and loving both I can say that Tri is a step to get more attention to the series. In MHFU you do not have a clear starting point, you are given everything at once and are tasked to go through nearly 4 hours worth of tutorials and reading of solid informational text in order to get up to speed before venturing out into a hunt. Many things can go unexplained if you never touch them and even then somethings are never fully explained. It takes a lot of reading on places like Monster Hunter Wiki to get a full grasp of the requirements for certain things and a path to take in terms of weapons. There is also a lack of a general story to string the character along and the NPCs that inhabit the world are more like statues that give hints and sell things rather than something to keep the player interested.

Tri went ahead and streamlined much of the game from before. Instead of being given everything, you are only given a limited number of things. You start off with only 2 weapons and no armor. But that is not to say you don't know what to do. The NPCs actually have character and make you follow a linear sequence of quests to get yourself familiar with the game. They also give helpful tips at all times during the game. For instance they will tell you that you need armor before heading out and constantly remind you of that if you don't have any. There is an actual story too. You start off without even the ability to do guild quests, instead you have to rebuild your base camp by doing little chores for the village people. The chores are simple, but they introduce you to the gameplay mechanics easily and gradually. After 3 hours not only have you been spending all that time learning things, but you have been out there fighting and gathering materials for a new set of equipment.

So yeah they fixed that rather huge learning curve (more like wall). They also did it in a way to make continuing the game easy for anyone. After this series ends, people will want to play more. With the experience they gained on Tri they can easily move on to MH's other games since its all the same.

Eighteen

Trophies
Website
3DGamelayer.yolasite.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
If it is like other monster hunters, well single player is okay.. but its always more fun when playing with others

just like smash brothers you know? ^^ or streetfighter... play with friends for more fun... but dont worry, its fun too playing solo

florian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I tried this release game on Wii PAL in 4.2E with wiikey 2 and work but in the game it froze and make a error ? i think this game is protected anti piracy ? you think is protected ?

S

spectral

Thanks. I've never played a MH game before which is why I asked. I realise MP is probably better and is the way the game is meant to be played but I dont have any friends with a Wii and I'm not too keen MP games with random strangers.

florian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Strange i think is protected ? because froze and make an error in the game? ...Same protection to new super mario bros or other games protected ? or bad copy for me ?

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
florian said:
Strange i think is protected ? because froze and make an error in the game? ...Same protection to new super mario bros or other games protected ? or bad copy for me ?

you have 4.2, so you can't play Games from other Regions than PAL (Europe/Australia and some Asian regions). As you might read, this is the American release(NTSC). Im relatively sure, their is NO NEW COPYPROTECTION. But lets wait for the PAL release.
Please also be sure, to have the latest Wiikey Firmware (v1.3 - Odyssey)

Comedor

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Someone please confirm if this "full" release is working online or not, cause "scrubbed" is giving errors, most likely because servers are closed, but you nerver know...

Thanks in advance, boys and girls!

silkyskeeter

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thiago Kotaki May said:
Someone please confirm if this "full" release is working online or not, cause "scrubbed" is giving errors, most likely because servers are closed, but you nerver know...

Servers shouldn't be closed. This isnt an early dump, its out in the stores. It was just released earlier than they specified. I seen it yesterday at Gamestop, just didnt have the money to pick it up xD.

Comedor

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
silkyskeeter said:
Thiago Kotaki May said:

Servers shouldn't be closed. This isnt an early dump, its out in the stores. It was just released earlier than they specified. I seen it yesterday at Gamestop, just didnt have the money to pick it up xD.

Stores are breaking street date, yeah. Maybe if it's simple Capcom will open all servers late today...

Satangel said:
QUOTE(Thiago Kotaki May @ Apr 17 2010, 12:34 PM)

Check out this topic
Thank you, but 19th isn't really official, let's wait and see!

nintyfreak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
YEEEEES geting this now. the problem is my wii is 4.2 i think and its softmodded. alot of people have trouble loading games from usb like red steel 2, green screen etc but all mine have worked fine. should this work ok for me or will i definately need to do some fixes? i use usbloader and im not sure what ios i use.

silkyskeeter

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nintyfreak said:
YEEEEES geting this now. the problem is my wii is 4.2 i think and its softmodded. alot of people have trouble loading games from usb like red steel 2, green screen etc but all mine have worked fine. should this work ok for me or will i definately need to do some fixes? i use usbloader and im not sure what ios i use.
Same goes for me. Everytime I see ppl having touble here, I get the game and it works perfect for me. I am hoping that the same will happen for this game. I only had problems with one game and that was Wii Sports Resort. And that was fixed with the online update to usbloader gx. Only way to find out is to get a copy and try for yourself. I still have 20 mins on my download but I will tell you how it goes for me.

Wii= 4.2u (official)
cIOS= cIOS 38 v14
Launcher I use=uloader or usbloader gx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: