WiFi SD Card and Gateway exploit

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by json, Jan 10, 2015.

1. json
    OP

json MUSCLEMAN

Aug 9, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    I saw people setting up a mirror of the Gateway go exploit on their Android phones.. So I started wondering, can I use this on my WiFi SD card too ? Like this:
    [​IMG]

It's a regular SD card that has WiFi built-in, maybe we can use this as a kind of 'offline' method to load Gateway?

Any thoughts?

2. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Er, wat? I'm not sure how this could help at all. The exploit is triggered using Javascript, that's all it needs. Having extra WiFi won't help.

3. json
    OP

json MUSCLEMAN

Aug 9, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    The WiFi SD Card has linux embedded into it, and a web server.

So we could let the WiFi SD Card serve the html files, and then you let your 3DS connect to the SD Card WiFi (which sits in the 3DS SD slot) with the Browser, to load the Gateway exploit.

So basically what you then have is a way to load the Gateway exploit without Internet connection -> so offline method. Get it?

MrJason005 and Margen67 like this.
  4. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Oh, I guess maybe if the SD card itself actually is capable of serving files + making a WiFi hotspot, sure. Although are there really SD cards with full Linux running on them capable of running a WiFi hotspot? Seems a bit too good to be true.

5. json
    OP

json MUSCLEMAN

Aug 9, 2013
    Burkina Faso
  6. w0dash

w0dash noob

May 29, 2012
    Gambia, The
    It would propably be possible, but I would guess waiting for their QR code solution is easier :D.

Margen67 and 2Hack like this.
  7. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Well as long as it is http i don't see why not.

These things are nice. I remember bunnie's writeup on these. They have an embedded arm @100mhz iirc.

8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah it all depends on if they allow raw file access, i know some use a weird interface that only allow certain files to be viewed....like jpg/mp4 etc

tbh the only people who would benefit from them are 2DS owners....3ds/3ds XL should just downgrade, and they don't come in microSD for, so assuming the n3DS exploit needs the browser exploit this wouldn't be an option

that being said i was thinking to pick one up for my camera anyway....so i might be able to let people know.....although rumors are the mii maker exploit is going to replace the browser exploit for the final release

9. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Sign me up! This would be great for my situation as the camera is broken only boys 3DS. The system crashes when the camera app is invoked in any way.

#gamesquest. The problem with downgrading is all the retail cart saves will not work. Unless you have a solution for those.

10. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    I thought they fixed the encryption issue with the latest update?

11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    nope classic mode on a 6.x+ console uses proper 6.x save encryption, gateway mode doesn't (no technical reason why not afaik, they probably just stuck with what they had)
    and 4.x consoles use the fake 6.x save encryption in classic and gateway mode.....if they allow savedatafiler in classic mode that would solve the issue and then people could dump the saves downgrade and re-import them using the fake 6.x encryption.....or if they can implement proper 6.x save encryption in 4.x and make a converter to batch convert all the fake encrypted saves....hmmm probably low on their priorities right now though

12. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Shoot. So I'd lose all my retail game saves if I downgrade my sysnand right?

13. TidusWulf

TidusWulf Real Aloha

Jul 27, 2007
    United States
    Hawaii
    I hate that I have a nice expensive Eye-fi but that there's no support for hacking it as a web server >:(

14. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    Yeah it should work, but unless you already own one or have another worthwhile use for one, it seems a little pricey for the small convenience it can offer for serving the browser exploit. Especially when, as has already been mentioned, Gateway have another exploit ready for release soon, and it'll probably be a more accessible one than the current browser one.

15. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Thanks. I think my blood pressure goes nuts every time I hear Soon™ now.

Vappy likes this.
  16. Skull Kiddo

Skull Kiddo Definitely Not A Kid

Dec 17, 2014
    My bedroom
    I didn't know there were WiFi SD Cards... :wtf: Oh but I would love to go into GW mode without being at home. This adds nothing to the discussion I know but sir I think you're a genius.