Misc Wifi out of the box

nostic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty, I'm about as new to the DS as anyone can be. My experience with it goes about as far as seeing it on TV. Now You may be asking yourself

"Why would you buy one then?"

Well I bought one because I want to play all my Old NES games on it.

I did my research and gathered up everything I needed to do the above, bought a M3 Lite (micro sd) and a SuperKey. I've downloaded moonshine (I think thats what it's called) skins and skins for the M3 I liked and now I'm just waiting for it all to arrive.

Now, in my impatience I'm playing around with the DS and I don't see any options to setup a wireless connection. My guess is I need to have a game or the M3 connected in order to set it up. However walking down the isle at bestbuy I was playing with a DS on display and saw that they had "download game software" which when clicked connected to something and downloaded demo games.

Am I missing something or am I correct in thinking theres nothing I can do until I get a game or my M3 in.

Thanks!

Sorry for n00bin everyone!

-nos

p.s. I'm a ninja
ph34r.gif

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
You basically saw a download station that lets you download demos via the DS's Download Play feature. The same thing can be done with games that support single-cart multiplayer, in which the game is temporarily downloaded to a DS that doesn't have the game.

However, both of these use local wifi that doesn't go online for anything. It's simply DS's (or a DS and a download station) comunicating directly with each other when they are close enough.

However, to play a game over online wifi you will need to get a game with online support and find the WFC settings located somewhere in it. That is where you configure your DS to connect to wireless access point, such as a wireless router. You cannot configure it without an online game. But once you do, that configuration will be saved and become accessible by any future online games you may play.

nostic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, to play a game over online wifi you will need to get a game with online support and find the WFC settings located somewhere in it. That is where you configure your DS to connect to wireless access point, such as a wireless router. You cannot configure it without an online game. But once you do, that configuration will be saved and become accessible by any future online games you may play.

So does this count towards .NDS roms on the flashcart or do I need an actual game?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions for me though.

Side question:

I've read somewhere about a homebrew web browser. Can someone point me to it or A Homebrew browser they reccomend. If it's just something like lynx for the XBMC (Xbox Media Center) then damn
dry.gif

Thanks!

-nos

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you can use a rom loaded on a flashcart device to configure WFC and play online.

The only "homebrew" browser that I'm aware of at the moment is retawq, which is a text-based browser that runs under DSLinux.

In light of the recent release of the Opera browser for the DS, several people have announced that they are going to attempt to port Firefox/Minimo to the DS or create a brand new browser, however I don't think any of them have actually completed anything yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)