wifi extender?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by secretsauce, Apr 18, 2010.

Apr 18, 2010

wifi extender? by secretsauce at 10:56 AM (879 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. secretsauce
    OP

Newcomer secretsauce Advanced Member

Australia
    my brother is looking for a wifi "extender", so basicall he took the cover of an old long ethanet cable and is planning to run it through the roof, i just wanted to know is this safe for the modem because he will tie the end onto the modem, so yea just wanted to know if this is safe for the modem

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    If lightning strikes, the modem/router will fry. Or at least, that's assuming the WiFi extender is on the roof. If you're just running it through a hole in the ceiling, then it'll be fine, though you should seal it up to prevent condensation eating away at the ceiling. It's hard to know which, from the provided description.

If you could be more specific about what he's trying to do and what you're worried about, we can give more specific advice.

3. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    that won't help, in fact it could make it worse, the length of a monopole antenna has to be tuned to the wavelength you are working on. google "diy wifi antenna" or similar, the are dozens of guides out there to making an antenna tuned for 2.4ghz.

4. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    Do you mean a repeater? If so, you'd need another WAP and set it to a repeater type of setting/function.

5. secretsauce
    OP

Newcomer secretsauce Advanced Member

Australia
    he his trying to put it through a hole in the roof, and im not really worried about anything, i cant see anything going wrong with it, my brother just wants to make sure

6. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    That's not a bad idea but I would reccomend a WLAN repeater or just cover the antenna of your Router with some Aluminium foil(works for me).

7. vergilite

Member vergilite GBATemps Regular Clown

United Kingdom
    i love you sig russian rick rolled [​IMG]