Wi-Fi backup loader?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by TutenStain, Jun 11, 2010.

Jun 11, 2010

Wi-Fi backup loader? by TutenStain at 10:33 PM (1,305 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. TutenStain
    OP

Newcomer TutenStain Newbie

United States
    Anybody know if any Wi-Fi backup loader exists? Would be really neat to load all my games from my server even thought it might run slower then from DVD/USB.
    Thanks.

2. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
  3. TutenStain
    OP

United States
    Its a legit question thought. [​IMG]

Would be so much easier to load all my backups to my home media server.

Wireless technologies are becoming faster and faster so why not.

4. AetherMaster

Member AetherMaster Aether

United States
    The WODE will be getting wifi game loading some time in the nearish future, and that will include Wii and GC games.

5. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    I donĀ“t think he will pay 84 USD for that.

6. Styles420

Member Styles420 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Even though WiFi is getting faster, it would still be way too slow to play a Wii game - I'll let you do your homework, but I will point you in the direction to start your search: Look up the transfer speed of a standard DVD drive (particularly the ones used in Wii's), and compare that to the fastest available transfer rate of current WiFi technology.

Now think about any Wii games you have played that still have even a momentary load time, and consider how much faster DVD (and USB) transfer rates are. If you take the ratio of transfer rates, and apply that to any load times, you'll find that trying to play through WiFi will have you spending far more time waiting for data to load than you'll get to spend playing the game.

Then, consider the fact that these pauses to load more data will occur almost constantly - try playing a game one frame at a time, with a new frame every few minutes... It would be a lot like watching Toy Story as they made it, which took a couple years for that hour and a half of film (and that was with several computers rendering frames simultaneously)

I may be wrong, but I think the WODE will only be able to pull it off by preloading (like buffering a streaming video), which will imply additional on-board memory (I can't remember how much ram the Wii has, but I don't think it was nearly enough to do the job).

7. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    802.11g has 54 Mbit/s speed. This isn't full duplex so it'll be around 22 Mbit/s average throughput. If the Wii uses standard dvd drive speeds, that'd roughly be the equivalent of just over 2X dvd speed.
    I recall some games having problems before when Wii modchips were stuck on 3X.

802.11n wireless would have a far better chance due to the increased speed. The Wii doesn't have this type of hardware as far as I know.

8. Styles420

Member Styles420 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Lol, so maybe I should have done my own homework to make sure I was up to date... but the Wii WiFi hardware could still be a deal-breaking bottleneck (again, haven't done any homework, just spit-balling)

If someone does find a way to pull it off, however, then I would agree with the OP - it would be awesome

9. TutenStain
    OP

United States
    Im have never programmed for the Wii but TBH it does not sound that hard to pull off. The trick would be to slowly buffer the whole game data to the SD card or some other storage as someone said.

10. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    This topic...it just doesn't want to die [​IMG]. It was answered several times before (so a search would have helped), it won't happen. The 22 Mbit/s mentioned before NEVER happen with my Wii, with FTPii I have around 5Kb/s. It's just not possible, or the results would be unusable.

Get a WODE or leave it, damn... (Yeah, I'm sick of this topic...)

11. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

It's been done, with Riivolution (you still need the original disc in the drive, so forget about loading your warez isos). The Wifi speed is around 700Kb/s so loading takes longer than normal but for most games it's bearable.