Why we pirate

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We pirate 'cause pirate copies are free - 99% of cases.
We pirate 'cause some content is restricted only to some regions of the worlds and we believe importing it to be too much of a hassle - 1% of cases.

Who agrees?

I disagree. More like 0.0000001%

and I don't want my music library to be all messy with no album art or proper titles.
Problem solved - http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

I pirate because my hunger for media is far greater than my income.

^LOL. I'm writing that down.

Reactions: 1 person

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Pirating is one thing - if you can't afford given media, it's understandable and a minor offence.

Yeah because courts and judges have really ruled that way right?

It would really depend on the local statutory provisions and common law, there's no clear cut severity to any offence in the world, like how some places give death sentences for murder, some don't.

I know American courts has been notorious for this (RIAA case where the woman was fined 2.4m), but that's the local common law, and not binding on any foreign jurisdictions. Plus, these ridiculous cases are mostly civil suits by corporations that demand large amounts of compensation for "damages", criminal law for IP infringement is really different, and you get some amount of jail time for profiting from a reproduction and distribution of a copyrighted product: http://www.law.corne...19----000-.html

5 years, which is less than the amount of jail time you get from punching someone and fracturing their bones or something (and get prosecuted for causing grievous hurt) I think. And you probably get even less than that for just downloading (I'm not sure if there is even a provision for that, I don't think it's enough to warrant a criminal offence and you can't even get sued for mere piracy, but I'm not an American law expert). It's certainly not as minor as theft, but it's as minor as a punch.

I think there are many civil cases against downloaders, but most of them revolve around scare tactics leading to out-of-court settlements (the whole Hurt Locker shit, a few 10k defendants lol), it would probably be too much of a hassle to go through the litigation process with so much bullshit anyways. I think just downloading is not nearly as serious as upload. You would be much worse getting sued and having to pay large amounts of damages that are punitive in nature like the RIAA case, than getting prosecuted. But in many cases, you get both.

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I pirate because I'm cheap and poor.

But I don't pirate everything. I buy the odd DS game, every 3DS game (obviously), bought every PSP game I've played (hacked for PSX games though), bought every Xbox 360 game. Majority of the modern PC games I play are bought through Steam. I've bought the few paid Android apps I have.

But I never buy films or TV shows, rarely buy music. I pirate a lot of DS games (it's too easy not to). Old and non-Steam games are downloaded. Never bought any apps or games for my iPod Touch.

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pirating just makes gaming life easier. I've always been indecisive. I used to wear cargo pants in highschool so I could hold more than the amount of GBA and NDS games I'll ever need at school (12GBA 16NDS). Then pirating came out... and then I was able to keep 4-10 times amount of entertainment in one cart than I used to carry in my pockets. I can keep 75 of my uncompressed PSP ISO's on microSD's that can all fit inside a single 3DS cart protection case.

One of my microSD's can hold up to 200 of the best NDS games. People say "You don't need that many" but I won't be satisfied until I'm able to keep all the contents of my hard drive with me.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
We pirate 'cause pirate copies are free - 99% of cases.
We pirate 'cause some content is restricted only to some regions of the worlds and we believe importing it to be too much of a hassle - 1% of cases.

Who agrees?
Agrees totally. Maybe more % for second reason though but not more than 10.
For myself i totally quit pirating about 4-5 months ago to feel "legit". And it does pays off. A steal is a steal, digital or not.

Geren

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Spain
I live in damned third-world country... and everything costs like the double (or triple) than in the U.S.
if I want to enjoy gaming/movies/music, without giving an eye or a kidney... pirating is the way :) at least is around here.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Just make sure you pay for them when you get the money or grow up, no matter what you say pirating is still considered stealing.

Oh please... Under any and all technicalities? Contrary to popular belief, those who have downloaded the copies aren't stealing anything. I mean, if anything it's the original uploader who stole. I don't understand the concept of theft, anymore. The definition is twisted and turned upside down, inside out just so it gives someone a reason to complain for not making $2 for their crappy song.

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I view pirating as my way of renting games, usually I'll pirate it beat it then delete it, if I find I enjoyed it enough to want to play it multiple times or if the multiplayer is good then I'll but it on steam when it's on sale. I find that I'm pirating less and buying more, though I do pirate as it has helped me avoid bad purchases [dead island is my most recent example]

jarejare3

PROFILE CHANGE!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Just make sure you pay for them when you get the money or grow up, no matter what you say pirating is still considered stealing.

Oh please... Under any and all technicalities? Contrary to popular belief, those who have downloaded the copies aren't stealing anything. I mean, if anything it's the original uploader who stole. I don't understand the concept of theft, anymore. The definition is twisted and turned upside down, inside out just so it gives someone a reason to complain for not making $2 for their crappy song.

Well If you like it, then pay for it. I'm just trying to say that.

If you don't like it, then i understand why would you not pay for it, but some other person may like it, so it's considered stealing too.

But, who is gonna care for such things right? You're just blamming other for what you think it's not your fault, I mean most of you make excuses but in the end it does not matter one shit. Cause it is as people say, it's free. That is what matters most right?

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I for one would like to add that some people/I don't see how pirating hurts games that are out of print. A vast, vast majority of games out there are anywhere from 2 to 30 years old, are just not sold anymore. Most of the games in the world can only be obtained as "used" from a 2nd-hand seller, like a pawn shop/game store, or a eBay/craigslist stellar. Buying 2nd-hand games that are only available by 2nd-hand means do NOT support the original developers/producers of the title. Any money you spend for such a title only goes to the seller.

This is my exception of piracy where piracy is A-OK. I mean if your money can't support the game, then why even bother spending it in the 1st place? Buying is used IS piracy, except buying used only means you get the official printed disk/cart. Your money still won't go to help anyone except the seller. So go on and pirate that Dark Cloud or Final Fantasy XII.

KinGamer7

Trophies
XP
Country
Buying is used IS piracy, except buying used only means you get the official printed disk/cart. Your money still won't go to help anyone except the seller. So go on and pirate that Dark Cloud or Final Fantasy XII.
...You can't honestly call buying a used product piracy. Sure, the effects of purchasing goods from the second-hand market may have similar or lesser consequences to the original developer / seller that piracy does (ie. not receiving a profit for each consequential sale of a particular good as it passes hands), but it isn't logical to therefore say that it IS piracy.

That's like me touching a hot stove and shouting "SHIT, I'M ON FIRE!"; the consequences are the same (burn) -- if not in varying severity -- but the means of getting to that result are very different.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I pirate because I'm a very poor, media hungry creature.

I do buy some (read: very very very little) stuff, like the latest Foo Fighters and Dream Theater albums.
The latest Foo Fighters album isn't even worth pirating...Complete garbage in my opinion and I'm just sick of them! Honestly nothing they've released has been worthy of The Colour and the Shape.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
When I pirate stuff, it's because I don't want to spend money. Simple as that. I'm not going to come up with some BS self-righteous excuse like "I beat the game, then buy it." Yeah, okay, and I pirate a movie, watch it, and proceed to buy the $20 DVD so it can collect dust.

I can understand if you don't have easy access to software or whatever it is you're pirating, but if you do, and you say "Oh, it's just their way of giving a little back to us," you're a greedy liar.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte