Question Why switch can't take my SDXC?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Reploid, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Reploid
    OP

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/fusee-gelee-faq-by-kate-temkin.500599/

I've read this guide and this hacker dudete told me to get at 64gb sd card, so I did.

I barely used switch before, played only one real game and currently at 4.0.1 fw. Waiting for this awesome cwf currently.

The problem is that when I instered SD switch told me I need to update FW to use it. WTF? Why doesn't it have SDXC support from the getgo?

I've also read that this is some kind of optional patch, instead of default FW function or something... Still FTW, sounds silly. Also I tried to format SD to FAT32, but switch replied that it need to be formated and then nagged about updating again.

So, I'm kinda confused now. If I'll try to update will it just enable SDXC support or turn my switch in 5.0 unit? I certainly won't want this. Or I can use smaller SD to install install CFW and then swap it with bigger one?

2. GraFfiX420

GraFfiX420 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 14, 2009
    United States
    I've wondered about this myself. With my little knowledge on the subject, I offer you this. This is supposed to be an exfat versus fat32 problem. You should be able to format the SD to fat32 and use it in your switch. If the switch prompted you to format the card, maybe it wasn't formatted properly.

3. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    so male guy is called ''dude'' and female one is called ''dudete''.

Interesting indeed...

leafeon34 and wiewiec like this.
  4. Reploid
    OP

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Well, that's exactly what happened. I used easeUS partition master. Is there a better tool?

5. GraFfiX420

GraFfiX420 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 14, 2009
    United States
    Maybe try just formatting it to fat32 through Windows?

Reploid likes this.
  6. Xandroz

Xandroz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 19, 2018
    Egypt
    Gui Format

PitPitPit, Biff627 and Reploid like this.
  7. OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku no thanks, I don't want a custom title

Jul 20, 2016
    Japan
    The Switch, out of the box, does not support SDXC. It needs to apply the update to mount it, regardless of file system. I don't know whether it's a full update or not, though.

Reploid likes this.
  8. Xandroz

Xandroz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 19, 2018
    Egypt
    either use gui format or wait for the cfw

Reploid likes this.
  9. Reploid
    OP

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Thanks for you input, guys, format gui did help, too bad I can't use exfat. Still curious if this is full update to enable SDXC or not. Well anyway, I guess I'll figure the rest out when CFW is released.

10. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    I don't think it's a full update, just a small specific thing for that support. People have been talking about this since the Switch was released.

11. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Addict

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Well if they can't find a way to support exfat without updating, they might come up with a solution to split game files into smaller sections to installer like Wii U games that installed through WUP Installer.

12. Reploid
    OP

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Most likely CFW won't have silly hickups like this
    Well, I would like to know for sure.

13. aos10

aos10 ❤ Zelda ❤\(^o^)/

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    what type of format should i use with my he switch?
    i inserted my 64GB SDXC card that was formatted in FAT32 and it see it, so i am good for now? what about exfat?

14. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Addict

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    About the SD card updates patch that supports SDXC, it was only available to users that were on lower firmware when the newer firmware wasn't pushed out, so for example if someone wanted to use exFAT with 1.0.0 switch, they had to get the update before 2.0.1 was available for the general public.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If the switch is for homebrew/cfw stuff then your only options at the moment is FAT32, only way to use exFAT is to update unless your system already has the SDXC support file.

15. aos10

aos10 ❤ Zelda ❤\(^o^)/

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    bummer, so i think i will stick with FAT32 right now, any advantage on switch to use exfat over fat32?

16. Reploid
    OP

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    main reason I wanted exfat is because SD tends to work faster after formatted properly with Samsung tool. But I guess Switch games don't have 4gb+ files usually, since developers should know that users can have fat32 cards.

17. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Addict

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Fat32 has a 4GB limit, so you can't transfer game file that larger than 4GB, I think they might have to do it like how the Wii u game file is done, it is split like into multiple sections. Something like the picture I posted below.

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      123.7 KB
      Views:
  18. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Addict

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I'm pretty sure that exfat is not included to prevent Nintendo having to pay a licensing fee for every Switch to Microsoft. this way they only pay the fee for the consoles that they know have it enabled.

19. aos10

aos10 ❤ Zelda ❤\(^o^)/

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    I know fat32 can't hold files above 4GB
    But, does switch with exfat SD download files that above 4GB?
    When the system format the card, what format it will be?

Last edited by aos10, Apr 8, 2018
  20. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Addict

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    I think it will be exFAT by default since when you plug in a SDXC card it asks you to download support file, but in order to download file you need to be on highest firmware. The format will be exFAT if it was formatted by the system for SDXC card. Format for SDHC is probably also exFAT too if it is formatted by the Switch.