Hacking Question Why switch can't take my SDXC?

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I think it will be exFAT by default since when you plug in a SDXC card it asks you to download support file, but in order to download file you need to be on highest firmware. The format will be exFAT if it was formatted by the system for SDXC card. Format for SDHC is probably also exFAT too if it is formatted by the Switch.
But, is fat32 normal for switch to use?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But, is fat32 normal for switch to use?

Well the switch also support FAT32, but for people that doesnt have the SDXC support file on their system, they can only use FAT32 at the moment, which they can format like using Guiformat, or Minitool partition wizard.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see some comments wondering about the SDXC update so I'll just let everyone know my experience.

I have a launch system (1.0.0) that I had updated through 4.0 and wanted to leave it there for HB. Until then I was using a 32GB SD card which filled up, so I bought a 256 SDXC. After inserting to the system it prompted me for an update. Knowing there was an SDXC patch I ran the update, but it actually also performed a FW update to 4.1.0.

So regardless of version, if you didn't have the SDXC driver the system will perform a full FW update to apply the SDXC driver.

Reactions: lordelan

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't think it's a full update, just a small specific thing for that support. People have been talking about this since the Switch was released.
True, but I believe it requires being on the latest firmware in order to install the ExFAT update. IIRC someone tried and after the whole process they were left on the latest firmware.

charlieb

Trophies
XP
Country
I see some comments wondering about the SDXC update so I'll just let everyone know my experience.

I have a launch system (1.0.0) that I had updated through 4.0 and wanted to leave it there for HB. Until then I was using a 32GB SD card which filled up, so I bought a 256 SDXC. After inserting to the system it prompted me for an update. Knowing there was an SDXC patch I ran the update, but it actually also performed a FW update to 4.1.0.

So regardless of version, if you didn't have the SDXC driver the system will perform a full FW update to apply the SDXC driver.

I spoke to "those in the know" on the discord server, and apparently the driver should be installable on any FW once the hacks are out.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I spoke to "those in the know" on the discord server, and apparently the driver should be installable on any FW once the hacks are out.

That's good to know for everyone here. Thankfully 4.1.0 is still available for HB so that's where I'm staying for the time being!

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
i just tried something, my mSD card was already formatted as FAT32, so i put it in the friend's Switch, that switch is already updated, and it asked to delete the file, then i formatted again using that switch.
after i return home, i put that mSD card on my PC and it still FAT32.
maybe i should format it as exFAT before using it on updated switch.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
so does switch support both exFat and fat32 formatted +64gb SDXC card??

i think the right question is: how to avoid system update when i need to use my SDXC card??

Last edited by leon315,
Reactions: Amingo

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
i don't have second switch right now, but can anyone try this:
have a mSD card formatted as exFAT and formatted again in the updated switch, then put it back in the low FW switch, then put it on PC to see what the type of format does it have.

Reploid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
i don't have second switch right now, but can anyone try this:
have a mSD card formatted as exFAT and formatted again in the updated switch, then put it back in the low FW switch, then put it on PC to see what the type of format does it have.
switch formats sdxc to exfat.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think the right question is: how to avoid system update when i need to use my SDXC card?? just format SDXC with GUI format or anything similar in exfat or fat32??

Right now, FAT32 or exFAT is the only way to use it without system update. Once CFW is out there may be a way to install the driver without udpating your OFW.

Reactions: King_Knoedel

Amingo

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Right now, FAT32 or exFAT is the only way to use it without system update. Once CFW is out there may be a way to install the driver without udpating your OFW.

I might be wrong but with CFW @EmuNAND you should be able to use the highest FW-Version anyway which would include the update for exFAT, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night