Why should I buy a PS5?

Solution
Buy it to play PS5 games, that's the only reason you should buy one.
If you want to play PS5 games now, buy one now.
If you can wait, buy one later.

If you have a PS4/Pro (and don't pirate) and it's very loud, you can buy the PS5 if you want something quieter.
If you pirate, keep playing on your PS4 since PS5 has no hacks of course.

If it's difficult to make a decision because it is a lot of money for you, don't buy it :)

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Buy it to play PS5 games, that's the only reason you should buy one.
If you want to play PS5 games now, buy one now.
If you can wait, buy one later.

If you have a PS4/Pro (and don't pirate) and it's very loud, you can buy the PS5 if you want something quieter.
If you pirate, keep playing on your PS4 since PS5 has no hacks of course.

If it's difficult to make a decision because it is a lot of money for you, don't buy it :)

Solution

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's a measurable performance and image quality difference between the PS4 and the PS5, but unless you're a framerate snob or you have 4K display, the library just isn't there yet. To me it was a no-brainer purchase since I play a lot of games on the PlayStation ecosystem, so the benefits in load times and graphical fidelity alone are enough to sway me, but it's hardly a necessary purchase for the average consumer right now when PS4 games are still coming out in large numbers. Most of the features that truly make the PS5 "pop" like the Dualsense triggers are not available in PS4 titles, so there's really no rush to pick one up if you're undecided.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@XAIXER With what parts? We're in the middle of a silicon shortage, I've been trying to "build a computer" since last year. You go ahead and find me a 3080 and a 5900X for MSRP and I'll bake you a full tray of cookies - chocolate chip! Get it? Because we can't get any chips?

I'll be here till Friday, wonderful audience! :V

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Spider-Man: Remastered, and Immortals Fenyx Rising are the only games I own for PS5 so far, got all of 'em far cheaper than $70 though.

The two biggest reasons to own a PS5 right now are to play your PS4 library (if any) with improved resolution/performance, and because the DualSense controller is top-tier. It can't hurt to wait on a larger native library, of course, or until the hardware can be bought for closer to MSRP.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you want to be a dirty scalper, you can make $$ off of it. If you actually see one on a shelf and have $500, buy the damn thing, then sell it on ebay or Amazon or something for a profit (if you decide it's not the time or you don't really want it right now). My lack of PS4 playtime prevents me from being stupid enough to pay more than retail, but someone will, guaranteed.

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
ATM for me a ps5 is not needed as i don't see any good games for me to buy it,
that and the fact that you cannot find a ps5 in stock, lol.

if FF XVI or FFVII RE parts 2+ come out on ps5 excl, then i might get one (by that time ps5 fives will be in stock again and plenty at that).

ATM caprice in my country is holding a contest that you can get codes from buying caprice sticks and you enter said contest with a code or codes?
to win a ps5 (disk ed?) every week grantteed, or so they say, but that could be a total lie/clickbait.

but winning a 500$/Euro ps5 unit for free would be asweome if that happened, lol.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"cearp - Buy it to play PS5 games, that's the only reason you should buy one."
If you can get one cheap and sell it on immediately for a nice profit to those that have not realised that it has no games then that would be another reason.

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my own personal experience, only buy it for the hype. Otherwise if I was you (and especially if you have a PS4, and I can not stress this enough PS4 is very well good enough especially if it is modded), I would wait until more games come out maybe wait 1.5 - 2 years and then decide to buy it.

I bought mine for the hype ONLY. And was it worth doing? no. I like it, but the problems are: 1) not moddable at all 2) nvme m.2 expansion does NOT work yet 3) packed in game probably is the best game out on the PS5 currently 4) it is quite obese and large 5) a modded PS4 is a MUCH MUCH MUCH and I can't stress this enough (even though I don't own one) better value than this is. That's because PS4 indeed has a modern game library. Most of the games people play on PS5 are also available on PS4. I only play the packed in game on my PS5 and Cyber Punk. I got Cyber Punk for the hype too! Because of all the people moaning about glitches, once it when on sale I bought it (yes I know that is a weird reason to buy a game but I haven't experienced glitches thank god and it has got what 3 updates now since the PS5 came out, something like that).

But yeah only buy the PS5 if you enjoy hype like I do. See the car in my avatar? I own one of those, that was a LOT of hype for a car. That was a long time ago, more than 10 years. The new hype is Chevrolet Corvette C8. A car nobody needs but everyone wants. :D neat stuff. But I have gone way off topic now.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
I own a pc, I literally just need a mobo and cpu upgrade, $300,

Still cheaper than getting a whole new console, and all my software still works

If you want better investment of money, get a pc first, console second, the xbox one was the last console I bought, nowadays I'll buy consoles just to run homebrew and linux, exploit the "computer" in them, as in essence consoles are "asics", as in Application Specific Integrated Computers

If only anti virus was as good as xbox one drm

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
not worth getting one right now there's really only one game possibly worth getting for it later and that's ratchet and clank rift apart. there's fuck all else on it that you can't play on the PC BETTER. so not worth it right now wait a year at least (also for the black version :P)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs