why original audio hate?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by BlazeV, Aug 27, 2012.

Aug 27, 2012

why original audio hate? by BlazeV at 9:18 PM (2,886 Views / 0 Likes) 59 replies

1. BlazeV
    OP

Member BlazeV GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    i don't get why there is original audio hate in the first place if i buy a game made in the us then i don't want a japanese dub over it cause it was voiced in english yet why is it wrong to want a game made in japan to have the japanese audio. it just seems like people are just being plain racist and ignorant towards gamers who don't like american dubs becuase they are usually shit and attack anyone who says otherwise look at a british dub like professor layton they sound fantasic in english becuase it wasn't voiced by the same shit american voice actors and the british voice actors look like they actually bother putting some effort into it.

these so called gamers who attack these people let me ask you if a game is made in english with bristish voice acting then after it gt to america and had the british voice acting removed to put in only american voices would i be a weeaboo when i rage and ask for it to have british voice acting becuase its the original?

2. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    From my Japanese gamer friend: "It's hilarious. If you actually could understand Japanese, you would see that a lot of Japanese voice acting is horrible as well. In the end it just falls to worshiping everything that comes from Japan."

3. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Name a game from a decent company, made in the last few years which has a "shit" American dub.

4. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    I had to read each 'sentence' about three times before I understood what it said. O.o

As Twinretro said, the Japanese is probably just as bad if you actually spoke Japanese. I would much rather English voices that I can understand than a language that I know about 11 words from, just because it's "the original".

5. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I like being able to understand what i'm playing (without having to read subs) so I will pretty much never choose japanese dubs over english ones.

1 person likes this.
  6. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    Out of all the English voice acting I do prefer British voice acting more it just has something that sounds right and fits with the characters, it might be the accent or the effort the actors put in or whatever but they seem to be quite good majority of the times.

He never said the voice acting is good to begin with.

7. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
    oh man here we go....

cant we just leave it at Twins answer and close the thread... I sense weeaboo memes on the way...*COUGHguildCOUGH*

1 person likes this.
  8. Lanlan

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    I agree. People that only play undubs are dumb.

9. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    I prefer English dubs over anything else. I mean, I feel like for games with a deep storyline having the characters speak in a language I can understand makes certain parts of the game much more dramatic.

2 people like this.
  10. TwinRetro

United States
    No, but to say that "American dubs are usually shit" at least implies that Japanese audio is better.

11. Just Another Gamer

Australia
    I rather play an undub than listen to more of that American voice acting so little effort put in. If they had a British dub like XenoBlade or some other Wii JRPG then I would pick that.

12. Lanlan

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    Like TwinRetro said, the japanese voices could be just as shitty. Seems like the equivalent of replacing the audio with random jibberish if you don't speak japanese.

1 person likes this.
  13. Just Another Gamer

Australia
    To me they are when compared to other countries I mean the Chinese and Korean dubs are usually shit but I don't complain, the Vietnamese ones are worse but I would rather listen to that than the american one. Vietnamese is my main language and I know the dubs are shit.

14. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    hey guys I'm opening a thread in the hacking section offering my services as a british voice actor for fandubs

2 people like this.
  15. Just Another Gamer

Australia
    I do kinda speak Japanese so....

16. BlazeV
    OP

Member BlazeV GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    i never said the japan voices are better i just said the american ones are shit just play an jrpg and you see no effort put in and everything sound corny plus all these one liners that is so typical america and then tell me that its good. unless the game came from american i don't want american voices in my game.

17. TwinRetro

United States
    So you would know that Japanese dubs can be just as hit-or-miss as English, right?

I mean, I have to admit myself, that I can't pick out bad Japanese voice acting, as I can't understand the language, much less recognize the proper tones or inflections that should be used. I don't know what robotic or flat Japanese voice acting sounds like. The only opinions that I have are quoted statements from a few of my Japanese friends on Facebook.

2 people like this.
  18. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Such as...?

Also it's incredibly hard to tell if a VA is great in another language if you don't understand it.

How much? A few threads ago I remember you saying you only had a basic comprehension of written Japanese.

19. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    I don't know. :L The only game I can think of is Xenoblade and that had horrible stereotypical, over-exaggerated cockney accents on all the villains which made them all sound like pirates. >.

20. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    This thread has reminded me of the brilliant Arc Rise Fantasia dub.