why original audio hate?

Icealote

My Winter...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Out of all the English voice acting I do prefer British voice acting more it just has something that sounds right and fits with the characters, it might be the accent or the effort the actors put in or whatever but they seem to be quite good majority of the times.

From my Japanese gamer friend: "It's hilarious. If you actually could understand Japanese, you would see that a lot of Japanese voice acting is horrible as well. In the end it just falls to worshiping everything that comes from Japan."
He never said the voice acting is good to begin with.

No, but to say that "American dubs are usually shit" at least implies that Japanese audio is better.
To me they are when compared to other countries I mean the Chinese and Korean dubs are usually shit but I don't complain, the Vietnamese ones are worse but I would rather listen to that than the american one. Vietnamese is my main language and I know the dubs are shit.

Especially when Vietnamese dubbing (in drama series) is in one voice for ALL characters (I think I've seen other Asian languages do it the same back when I used to see them as a child). A lot worse is when there's more than one voice dubbing and its like dafaq I just hear?!

OFF topic: I can safely say that I mostly enjoy the Iron Chef dubbing. Now that's great voice acting! I get all excited when cooking gets under way. I also enjoyed Dragon Ball Z dubs. I couldn't get used to Goku with a tad feminine voice in the original.

I prefer hearing the native language and reading the subtitles in hope to learn a little of the language since I do have a friend who speaks Japanese and I occasionally throw simple phrases whenever I learn then and get corrected after laughing at how bad I pronounce it.

Generally people who hate (I've asked friends who do hate it) and the usual response is it takes their eyes away from the face where the voice is coming from. It distracts them and makes them miss what's really happening on the screen. It frustrates them to having to rewind watch the whole scene again to get the FULL picture.

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't get why there is original audio hate in the first place if i buy a game made in the us then i don't want a japanese dub over it cause it was voiced in english yet why is it wrong to want a game made in japan to have the japanese audio. it just seems like people are just being plain racist and ignorant towards gamers who don't like american dubs becuase they are usually shit and attack anyone who says otherwise look at a british dub like professor layton they sound fantasic in english becuase it wasn't voiced by the same shit american voice actors and the british voice actors look like they actually bother putting some effort into it.

these so called gamers who attack these people let me ask you if a game is made in english with bristish voice acting then after it gt to america and had the british voice acting removed to put in only american voices would i be a weeaboo when i rage and ask for it to have british voice acting becuase its the original?

You might want to calm down a bit before composing a long winded rant like this. Making the keyboard your personal punching bag really isn't helping you get your message across.

Yumi

With Love<3
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Mexico
i don't get why there is original audio hate in the first place if i buy a game made in the us then i don't want a japanese dub over it cause it was voiced in english yet why is it wrong to want a game made in japan to have the japanese audio. it just seems like people are just being plain racist and ignorant towards gamers who don't like american dubs becuase they are usually shit and attack anyone who says otherwise look at a british dub like professor layton they sound fantasic in english becuase it wasn't voiced by the same shit american voice actors and the british voice actors look like they actually bother putting some effort into it.

these so called gamers who attack these people let me ask you if a game is made in english with bristish voice acting then after it gt to america and had the british voice acting removed to put in only american voices would i be a weeaboo when i rage and ask for it to have british voice acting becuase its the original?

You might want to calm down a bit before composing a long winded rant like this. Making the keyboard your personal punching bag really isn't helping you get your message across.

I think he got many messages across. (But I agree)

I tend to think most voice acting in games, if not all, are just...funny. Sometimes it gets to the point where it gets annoying (Xenoblade recently + Fable 1).
Some prefer keeping it real...others won't. And that is just fine.

This can apply to movie dubs as well but that's a whole different story.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
*The exception is The Last Story, I actually enjoy the British accents because they make the characters all the more awesome, and give the game a certain aura to it. I love it!
Other than this game, a majority of American/English dubs suck bollocks.
Agreed, its strange to me but the British voice acting just has that something that makes it sound great and I don't know if its the accent, the acting or the script but I really like it in comparison the american voice acting just makes me cringe and either go for an undub or the japanese game instead since there isn't a better alternative.

To me they are when compared to other countries I mean the Chinese and Korean dubs are usually shit but I don't complain, the Vietnamese ones are worse but I would rather listen to that than the american one. Vietnamese is my main language and I know the dubs are shit.

Especially when Vietnamese dubbing (in drama series) is in one voice for ALL characters (I think I've seen other Asian languages do it the same back when I used to see them as a child). A lot worse is when there's more than one voice dubbing and its like dafaq I just hear?!

OFF topic: I can safely say that I mostly enjoy the Iron Chef dubbing. Now that's great voice acting! I get all excited when cooking gets under way. I also enjoyed Dragon Ball Z dubs. I couldn't get used to Goku with a tad feminine voice in the original.

I prefer hearing the native language and reading the subtitles in hope to learn a little of the language since I do have a friend who speaks Japanese and I occasionally throw simple phrases whenever I learn then and get corrected after laughing at how bad I pronounce it.

Generally people who hate (I've asked friends who do hate it) and the usual response is it takes their eyes away from the face where the voice is coming from. It distracts them and makes them miss what's really happening on the screen. It frustrates them to having to rewind watch the whole scene again to get the FULL picture.
I remember that, awww memories. Also remember how when they do have more than 1 person doing the dubbing it sounds like they're just reading from a book and not paying attention. I remember there was some that didn't even bother to remove the original voices lol.

Icealote

My Winter...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
*The exception is The Last Story, I actually enjoy the British accents because they make the characters all the more awesome, and give the game a certain aura to it. I love it!
Other than this game, a majority of American/English dubs suck bollocks.
Agreed, its strange to me but the British voice acting just has that something that makes it sound great and I don't know if its the accent, the acting or the script but I really like it in comparison the american voice acting just makes me cringe and either go for an undub or the japanese game instead since there isn't a better alternative.

I remember that, awww memories. Also remember how when they do have more than 1 person doing the dubbing it sounds like they're just reading from a book and not paying attention. I remember there was some that didn't even bother to remove the original voices lol.

LOL yes the monotone when something is dramatic and the translation is dead flat. It was like listening to the oldies talk radio station. I bet they didn't remove the original voices because it was pirated and they couldn't afford to get it like that hah

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
LOL yes the monotone when something is dramatic and the translation is dead flat. It was like listening to the oldies talk radio station. I bet they didn't remove the original voices because it was pirated and they couldn't afford to get it like that hah
I watched some of the newer dramas and well it has improved a bit in a weird way, they have different people voicing all the characters bu they're all flat but the oldies talk radio station sometimes have people call up screaming and complaining :D. Yea still atleast if you concentrate then you can hear the original voices and it makes me laugh hearing lively and flat voices in one.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Name a game from a decent company, made in the last few years which has a "shit" American dub.

Here's my list of horrible American English dubs: Most* dubs in videogames are as bad as 4Kids dubs are in anime.

1) Square Enix, Star Ocean 4 English dub, listen to Lymle in Japanese, then English, and then people can tell me that American dubs are "superior". The game is less ear-raping in Japanese, but I say that because I've studying the language since 2002, 'kay?

2) Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Namco Bandai, whiny protagonist is whiny. Johnny Young-Bosch should have made his Emil voice consistent with his more intimidating tone throughout the game and not his weaker, more pansy voice.

3) Square Enix, Final Fantasy X, Tidus' voice is like pouring salt on an open wound while being emasculated; He complains about everything and James Arnold Taylor is sure as heck good at that.

I've not played the first two on your list but Youtubing them tells me that in case one, whilst the English isn't great, neither is the Japanese. It's a case in point for the first reply of the topic....you tolerate poor VA because you don't understand it. As for the second, Young-Bosch is a good VA, your problem is with your perception of the character and the ADR director choosing how he wants the dialogue delivered. That's not a bad dub....

As for 3, Tidus complains just as much in Japanese as in English....so once again it's preference for not understanding things that make them superior for you. As for the VA itself....not only is the English fine, but it's better than the Japanese....

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
2) Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Namco Bandai, whiny protagonist is whiny. Johnny Young-Bosch should have made his Emil voice consistent with his more intimidating tone throughout the game and not his weaker, more pansy voice.
Emil is a whiny character.
Ratatosk is not.

EDIT: Also Hiro Shimono (his JPN VA) did the exact same thing. Made normal Emil timid and shy and Ratatosk-Emil intimidating and whatnot.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ratatosk is not.

EDIT: Also Hiro Shimono (his JPN VA) did the exact same thing. Made normal Emil timid and shy and Ratatosk-Emil intimidating and whatnot.

From the small portion I played of the game, there's a difference between "timid and shy" and socially awkward Droopy Dog. Seriously there's being a bit timid and shy and then there's being a big goddamn pussy like he was. It was an awful voice over.

Also the only times I'd prefer non-English language is if it fits the setting. It's a bit jarring if you're playing a game in China or even Japan and all the characters are speaking English. However if they're in some foreign mystical fantasy world, language doesn't matter.

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
Ratatosk is not.

From the small portion I played of the game, there's a difference between "timid and shy" and socially awkward Droopy Dog. Seriously there's being a bit timid and shy and then there's being a big goddamn pussy like he was. It was an awful voice over.
He's not suppose to be a bit timid, he's suppose to be VERY timid.
He's meant to be a "big goddamn pussy", as you so rightly called it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's not suppose to be a bit timid, he's suppose to be VERY timid.
He's meant to be a "big goddamn pussy", as you so rightly called it.

No one wants a character that's THAT timid. Games are supposed to provide escapism, not so the social awkward neckbeards get to play as a little anime boy version of themselves. Like he was literally at the "spaghetti falling out of pockets when spoken to" level of awkwardness.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I usually prefer original language (whatever language it is) over dubed one.
And it's not only for video games or anime, but for movies and TV shows too.

Original actors usually have the best intonation and pass the feeling better. (but that's when it's a movie, or when the director worked on the dub to make sure it's acted correclty).

French dub is even wrost than english.
We have very few voice actors, and they think anime and video games don't deserve a lot of effort.
They think bad guys should have purposedly (abusively) deformed voices to make it look bad. often the same person is doing multiple characters by deforming his/her voice, instead of being natural and hiring different actors.

Thank god, it's not the case for all of them.
Some have good voices and good acting.
Some companies even make the effort to work with the correct voice actors (Kingdom heart and the original Disney voices).

What I care in dub, are:
- Does the voice match the character's look? (feminine voice for a a strong man is just nosense ---> France doesn't care. They just use random actors for random characters, looks like lottery! French acting is very bad for that! even in movies...)
- Does it match the current scene? does the intonation and the feeling is passed correctly?
- Does it flows well in the action (no moving lips without sounds, character's interacting correctly with the scene and not reciting sentenses recorded one by one in random order, etc.)

Reactions: 3 people

BlazeV

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

i found everyone was able to read it without any problems

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i found everyone was able to read it without any problems

The issue is that your argument quickly devolved into calling people racist and ignorant almost immediately. It's a childish low blow in a conversation.

As for the issue at hand, here's my golden rule:
  • Games in a specific, real location should preferably have VOs that reflect that. I'd love games with Russian characters to speak Russian, or games in Japan to speak Japanese
  • Games in unspecified locations should have VOs according to the country the game is being localized in. North American copies of Mass Effect should have English VAs, Japanese copies should have Japanese VAs.
  • If a game has a bad dub, put it onto a dub that's so foreign you can't even understand if it's good or bad.

Reactions: 1 person

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@OP, just so you know, the European version of Professor Layton is also voiced by Christopher Robin Miller, the "shit american voice actor". The only character whose voice is different is Luke.
This thread is terrible. What am I reading?

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I recall correctly the Layton games are voiced by a US dominant cast. The British accents are mainly exaggerated and stereotypical (WHY NO GEORDIES IN LAYTON?!).

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
I always prefere the audio the game was meant to use.
It's like movies. YOU DON'T WATCH THEM DUBBED!!
Lipsync fails, voices don't suit characters and so on.

Also only because the game is made in said country doesn't mean they have to use that language for the game.

Amnesia & battlefield are both made in sweden but still don't have swedish voices. (Battlefield have swedish subs/text but amnesia is completely free from swedish language)

Then we have dark souls.
A japanese game with excellent english voice acting.
[yt]Ra5FFVSNOrA[/yt]

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always prefere the audio the game was meant to use.
It's like movies. YOU DON'T WATCH THEM DUBBED!!
Lipsync fails, voices don't suit characters and so on.

Also only because the game is made in say'd country doesn't mean they have to use that language for the game.

Amnesia & battlefield are both made in sweden but still don't have swedish voices. (Battlefield have swedish subs/text but amnesia is completely free from swedish language)

You don't watch movies dubbed because of the aforementioned lip sync fails and jarring differences between the character and VO. Also the audio mixing usually sounds off. But for video games, the lip sync is just tweaked with animation and it fits and the characters often aren't stuck to a very specific voice. Like older Bruce Lee films would dub him over with a generic English voice. Nowadays we will at least dub over an Asian character with an Asian voice if it's appropriate.

Also it's "said", not "say'd"...

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I recall correctly the Layton games are voiced by a US dominant cast. The British accents are mainly exaggerated and stereotypical (WHY NO GEORDIES IN LAYTON?!).

I have to say, Lani Minella completely nailed it. (NA Luke, Emmy, Flora, Katia, Sophia, Babette, Tony, Arianna and Claire)
Miller did a fairly good job too. I wouldn't say it's 'exaggerated' as much as I'd say it's more of an old English accent, not one you'd hear very often anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr