Gaming Why is Ubisoft still releasing Just Dance for the Wii.

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, maybe a bit late...but why do they still Release Just Dance for the Wii?
What do you guys think? Do they still make enough revenue from it?
Wondering.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Let's just take a quick look at something like VGChartz, even if the numbers are not exact:

Just Dance 2017 PS3, 120.000 units
Just Dance 2017 PS4, 200.000 units.
Just Dance 2017 360, 260.000 units.
Just Dance 2017 XBO, 280.000 units
Just Dance 2017 Wii U, 410.000 units.
Just Dance 2017 Wii, around 1.000.000 units.

It's always the version that sells the most.
It's most probably the cheapest version to make, so each unit will mean more revenue compared to other versions.
It's... absolutely insane, but it's the world we live in.

Wii will get Just Dance until it stops being the best place to sell / so easy to make money with; and well...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...just_dance_2018_than_switch_xbox_one_or_wii_u

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't call it insane to target one of the largest install bases for a product or to keep buying a product for a system just because it's "obsolete". Now, one could argue that "Just Dance" or the whole genre of yearly releases is insane, but that's another thing. :) Personally, I'd love to see new games released on the SNES VC, or more usefully, I'd like love to see the equivalent of a 16-bit like platform for gaming development on multiple platforms so we could see more "retro" games. Sort of like Voxatron...but with an actual v1.0 release. :)

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's just take a quick look at something like VGChartz, even if the numbers are not exact:

Just Dance 2017 PS3, 120.000 units
Just Dance 2017 PS4, 200.000 units.
Just Dance 2017 360, 260.000 units.
Just Dance 2017 XBO, 280.000 units
Just Dance 2017 Wii U, 410.000 units.
Just Dance 2017 Wii, around 1.000.000 units.

It's always the version that sells the most.
It's most probably the cheapest version to make, so each unit will mean more revenue compared to other versions.
It's... absolutely insane, but it's the world we live in.

Wii will get Just Dance until it stops being the best place to sell / so easy to make money with; and well...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...just_dance_2018_than_switch_xbox_one_or_wii_u
to add to this ubisoft has made many mistakes and needs this money (udraw/uplay/ect) . . . they will not stop until it stops selling period!

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I wouldn't call it insane to target one of the largest install bases for a product or to keep buying a product for a system just because it's "obsolete". Now, one could argue that "Just Dance" or the whole genre of yearly releases is insane, but that's another thing. :) Personally, I'd love to see new games released on the SNES VC, or more usefully, I'd like love to see the equivalent of a 16-bit like platform for gaming development on multiple platforms so we could see more "retro" games. Sort of like Voxatron...but with an actual v1.0 release. :)

I don't think it's insane for Ubi to keep putting Just Dance on the Wii (it's a no-brainer for me, Ubi wants money, JD Wii makes money), but the idea of "+10 year old system keeps outselling every other platform every year by a large margin" makes me laugh. It sounds so wacky... At least, until you start to see how much sense it makes to keep doing it (and that just makes it even funnier to me).

to add to this ubisoft has made many mistakes and needs this money (udraw/uplay/ect) . . . they will not stop until it stops selling period!

Oh, absolutely, Ubi will milk that as long as possible, mistakes or not. But those mistakes do make the milking more important.

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
I find it interesting Just Dance 2018 actually made its way to the Wii (I was shocked when I first heard about it), and they made it for the consoles which are at end-of-life (Xbox 360 and PS3). I guess they make money off of it since some people haven’t got a newer Nintendo console and still plays on the Wii (they should consider getting a Switch, it annoys me when I find someone who doesn’t know about the Switch and still only has their Wii). I still use my Wii for so many things, it’s always fascinating.

By the way, a game called Let’s Sing 2018 came out in Europe during October right around the time Just Dance 2018 came out. They’ve been making a new one every year (like Just Dance) and it came to the Wii and the Switch, but not the Wii U (I see why they skipped it, since you can play Wii games on vWii).

Fun fact: Just Dance 2017 and 2018 are the only two games that made it to all 3 of the last consoles Nintendo made - Wii, Wii U and Switch.

Last edited by Larsenv,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yo, people! Another year, another Just Dance for Wii! The club can't handle the Ubi milking still!

https://nintendoeverything.com/just-dance-2019-coming-to-switch-wii-u-and-wii-in-october/

Wii is still a very big part of Just Dance. For JD2018 it seems it sold at least 330K units, making it to the second spot on the list, selling more than the versions on PS4, XBO, Wii U, PS3 and 360 (these last two are easy to understand why). Now, the great surprise is to see that the game has sold the most on the newest Nintendo system, the Switch, with a supposed total of 540K. Maybe the Wii will at long last give the JD throne to the hybrid system and retire the dance floor... Or maybe not, because Ubisoft.

Of course those numbers are VGChartz which are to be taken with a grain of salt.

...Although probably the most impressive thing for me is that the Wii U still got another chance.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Funny thing is, now that I see my old post, 2018 seems to have sold way way less than 2017. In that release the Wii managed to sell an entire million of units (probably a bit more) by itself. This time it did a third of that, and the other systems (barring Switch) are also lower.

Could we be seeing the decline of the series and the road to the end?

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
They're probably the cheapest to produce (not only there's no need to make high quality assets, DVDs are way cheaper than the other disc-based media modern games use today), like I said in an earlier post, and that version is still selling much better than most others, so it makes sense for them to keep doing it, and I see nothing wrong with it. If people buy it is because they want it, and if they want it on the Wii, so be it!

Doesn't mean that I can't find the scenario really funny, just like PS2 getting Fifa games until 2014. I perfectly get why, but it's worthy of a laugh to see a retired system getting games way after the successor of its successor is already out.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's profitable for them, they're going to release new Just Dance games for the Wii:
  1. Just Dance for the Wii still sells pretty well.
  2. The infrastructure is already in place to easily port new Just Dance games to the Wii with very little cost to them.

WOLF_ALPHA_PACK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, imma just do a simple non-complicated, reply to this. Making Just Dance games for the Wii makes a profit, which means more money. Also, Just Dance for the Wii sells pretty well. So, in conclusion, they make a profit because their games sell a lot.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this thread was just necrobumped, but it's worth mentioning that Just Dance 2020 will be the last Just Dance game released for the original Nintendo Wii, and Just Dance 2019 was the last Just Dance game released for the Nintendo Wii U. Nintendo fans will still be able to get future Just Dance games for the Nintendo Switch.

WOLF_ALPHA_PACK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this thread was just necrobumped, but it's worth mentioning that Just Dance 2020 will be the last Just Dance game released for the original Nintendo Wii, and Just Dance 2019 was the last Just Dance game released for the Nintendo Wii U. Nintendo fans will still be able to get future Just Dance games for the Nintendo Switch.

Ok this was nice to know

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
According to the figures here:
http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=222185

The Wii version not only sold 2.5 copies for every 1 Wii U copy, but actually outsold the PS4, Xbox One and X360 versions. Only the Switch version sold more than the Wii version of JD 2019. Gamers may have largely abandoned the Wii a long time ago. But those of us who bought it for the motion control sports and exergaming titles haven't abandoned it.

Just Dance 2020 may see even more interest than 2019 due to the Just Dance Movie that is in the works. The game will release on November 5, 2019 for the Nintendo Switch, Wii, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One as well as the Google Stadia.

Amazing that 360, PS3 and Wii game are still being made, even if only the Wii has enough support to justify another Just Dance.

Last edited by ChibiMofo,
Reactions: Darkworld92

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yup, I laughed out loud and remembered this thread when I saw Just Dance 2020 for Wii announced at E3. It's great, it even outlived the Wii U (and the 360, lol).

Oh, you handsome, waggling devil... I hope JD2020 leaves the Wii on a high note.

Reactions: Darkworld92

Tanro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just dance is a game for people who don't really play a lot of games.

The wii was best selling console for casual gamers. My Step mom and Dad have one and My dad's last game console purchase was in 1987 a year before I was born..,

Yeah.... Thats the wii's main market. He will probably still be playing new mario bros and wii sports resort for a good 10 years or so from now or until they make another console that is cheap, and targets the casual market.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1