Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hyro-Sama said:
Harry Potter. Talk about generic...
nyanya.gif

Talk about being stupid.
You're a special kind of retarded if you can even begin to call Harry Potter generic.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hyro-Sama said:
Hells Malice said:
Hyro-Sama said:
nyanya.gif

Talk about being stupid.
You're a special kind of retarded if you can even begin to call Harry Potter generic.

That's one negative reaction. Anyone else?
That's not the way I would have said it, but I agree with Malice (not that you're stupid or retarded, but that it's not generic). I used to hate them up until a week ago when I started watching them from the beginning, they're not bad. Though even when I hated it I didn't think it was generic.

Of coourse, I have no proof that it's not generic, don't really know how to prove it at the moment, so it's strictly opinion.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
machomuu said:
Hyro-Sama said:
Hells Malice said:
Hyro-Sama said:
nyanya.gif

Talk about being stupid.

That's not the way I would have said it, but I disagree with Malice (not that you're stupid or retarded, but that it's not generic). I used to hate them up until a week ago when I started watching them from the beginning, they're not bad. Though even when I hated it I didn't think it was generic.

Of coourse, I have no proof that it's not generic, don't really know how to prove it at the moment, so it's strictly opinion.
Thanks?
unsure.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hyro-Sama said:
machomuu said:
Hyro-Sama said:
Hells Malice said:
Hyro-Sama said:
nyanya.gif

Talk about being stupid.

That's not the way I would have said it, but I disagree with Malice (not that you're stupid or retarded, but that it's not generic). I used to hate them up until a week ago when I started watching them from the beginning, they're not bad. Though even when I hated it I didn't think it was generic.

Thanks?
unsure.gif
Whoops, typo. I meant to say "but I agree with Malice".

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
machomuu said:
Hyro-Sama said:
machomuu said:
Hyro-Sama said:
Hells Malice said:
Hyro-Sama said:
nyanya.gif

Talk about being stupid.

Thanks?
unsure.gif
Whoops, typo. I meant to say "but I agree with Malice".

It is all good.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hyro-Sama said:
Hells Malice said:
Hyro-Sama said:
nyanya.gif

Talk about being stupid.

HM is actually right. Before HP, the mainstream view of "magic" is what I call "Disney magic" which comprises of fairy god mothers, evil witches etc. Not to mention all the ritualistic clusterfuck presented in horror movies. The bottom line is - before the HP-era, "magic" was usually the "evil" side of things [or the "deus ex machina" in the case of fairy god mothers]. Other than, say, LoTR [and even then, Sauron had a lot of evil magic in comparison to Gandalf] that's basically what magic was back in the day.

Then HP came along, and suddenly wizards had a community, they had laws, they were protecting "muggles", some of their evil magic was outlawed, and last thing - they can't bring back the dead. A world of difference there. That's not "generic" at all in any sense [judging from the all the precedent it had].

On Topic...

@machomuu - I understand you can't stand Naruto, and we can discuss this all day[week?] with the whole Temp, but it stands to reason that anime/manga in general is very diverse, and any one series can always get popular with a certain amount of people. It just so happened that a lot of people like Naruto, and thus it got famous. There'll always be a difference in opinion between the fans and the, uh, "haters" [for lack of a better term; don't take it personally]. Just ignore them and let things be.

naved.islam14

Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™
Trophies
XP
Country
I dunno, but the reason differs from person-to-person, like I watch it because of the story.
BTW: This is becoming like a fan-boy wars.

ripin150

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its really weird you posted this. I started watching about a month ago, still havent really figured out why im still watching. Ive literally watched every episode cept the filler season, now im on 50 something in shippuden. In 1 month. I can see that every character is a bland pile of garbage, but I watch it in the vain hope that it will get better, because I love the Idea of naruto. Thats why I watch it, But I think its so popular because its a show about middle school age ninjas beating the snot out of each other. At 9 or 10, whats not to like?

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Burton said:
SamAsh07 said:
@Burton - (while concerning about that 8-14 yr old Naruto craze age range) Could you explain why my 19 year old class mate loves watching Naruto? Lol.
LOL there are some of us that get stuck at a certain mental age even if we get older (at 19 I was a Sailor Moon super fan, shhh don't tell anyone). Just kidding ; Anime is for any age, but the truth is that a wide audience usually between the ages I mentioned earlier gather around a certain anime in specific because is like the one most advertised here and there and / or because at their age (ninjas, jutsus, swords, fight, fight, fight) the kind of stuff my students want to do for real.

In my country the three more watched anime are Naruto, Bleach and One Piece (before them was Pokemon and DBZ). Older people like us are more selective when searching for anime with plots that we haven't seen before or is a different genre (comical, romantic, dark etc.) and thus it will make the anime more interesting to us.

btw SamAsh07 if you ever need help with some technical stuff feel free to Pm OK!
Lool true xD, will surely PM, I just wonder why you're inactive nowadays...maybe busy in personal life
unsure.gif

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The first series was way better than shippuuden. I kinda liked the hand-movement-thingy but that vanished in shippuuden for some reason.
The only good part of shippuuden was when naruto went to sage mode and defeated Pain.

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SamAsh07 said:
Burton said:
SamAsh07 said:
@Burton - (while concerning about that 8-14 yr old Naruto craze age range) Could you explain why my 19 year old class mate loves watching Naruto? Lol.
LOL there are some of us that get stuck at a certain mental age even if we get older (at 19 I was a Sailor Moon super fan, shhh don't tell anyone). Just kidding ; Anime is for any age, but the truth is that a wide audience usually between the ages I mentioned earlier gather around a certain anime in specific because is like the one most advertised here and there and / or because at their age (ninjas, jutsus, swords, fight, fight, fight) the kind of stuff my students want to do for real.

In my country the three more watched anime are Naruto, Bleach and One Piece (before them was Pokemon and DBZ). Older people like us are more selective when searching for anime with plots that we haven't seen before or is a different genre (comical, romantic, dark etc.) and thus it will make the anime more interesting to us.

btw SamAsh07 if you ever need help with some technical stuff feel free to Pm OK!
Lool true xD, will surely PM, I just wonder why you're inactive nowadays...maybe busy in personal life
unsure.gif
There are some things that makes me quite uncomfortable on the community, I'll PM you later...

sorry for the OffTopic.

Ringo619

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
naruto was my first anime and got me into watching , for me naruto will always be my fav , even tho there tons of animes out there that are far better in action and everything , i just grew up with naruto , from the very first episode , i saw all the characters change and grow up , and i was hooked onto it from the very first epsiode and still is , and i think alot of people like it cause of the story line , its one of the best story lines imo ,i've never come close to anime that has such a good story line, this is my opinion , i can tell alot of people will disagree , but the reason i like the story line so much , is cause there is alot happening at once ,there is not just one villain , there many at the same time, which other animes lack , they focus on one bad guy in one arc and then another one in a different arc.

celeron53

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the only thing i like about naruto is the soundtrack. The soundtrack is amazing. and moving onto shinpudden(or however u spell it), i felt that the music matured along with naruto. But at the end of the day, One Piece will always be in my heart. It's funny, the fighting scenes are epic with little talking in between, the characters are very likable, but One Piece isn't as popular as Naruto in the U.S.

There's my 2 cents.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Naruto is extremely stupid, as showcased by the kid who died when him and his friend tried to recreate the Sand Coffin jutsu that Gaara used during the Chuunin Exams in the series' first air on Cartoon Network. If a show has fans that will recreate any stupid part of it, even when it is obviously deadly in real life, then it must be stupid.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sora de Eclaune said:
Naruto is extremely stupid, as showcased by the kid who died when him and his friend tried to recreate the Sand Coffin jutsu that Gaara used during the Chuunin Exams in the series' first air on Cartoon Network. If a show has fans that will recreate any stupid part of it, even when it is obviously deadly in real life, then it must be stupid.
lolwat

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Twiffles said:
It's popular outside of Japan because everyone has had that stupid fantasy of becoming a ninja. Just like how Harry Potter is popular because everyone has wished they could perform magic, at one point, or another.

In Japan, where it counts, Naruto is of the "Big 3" yes, but One Piece's sales are more than triple Naruto's. And Bleach barely makes it into Top 5, because it's shit.
That's insane. One Piece is complete crap. I didn't know they had that much of a bad taste, in Japan.

At least Gantz's second, phew. Now that IS a good manga.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
BortzANATOR said:
Sora de Eclaune said:
lolwat

http://shockscrazyblog.wordpress.com/2008/...ra-from-naruto/

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
personally i am a mecha fanboy aswell as a digimon fanboy...never liked naruto either, but when i began watching it slowly bit by bit i thought it was mediocre....it became interesting at the shippuuden part. really touching...love it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse