Hacking Why is MAME not ported for the Wii?

bubbleboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MAME is the ultimate, and it's open source right? Now that the wii has been hacked, why isn't anyone trying to port it? I would but I can't code!

It just seems very obscure emus are made (which is a good thing too!!), but the mother of them all has been ignored!
unsure.gif

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
It is a shame, cos it worked a treat on the xbox. Many a wasted hour playing old skool stuff like SF2, Super Pang, 1942, Wind Jammers, the list is endless. Aaaahhh, so many fond memories.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it is a shame cos i want trog, wonderboy 2, Simpson arcade and a shitload of others to play. only thing you can do now is wait and hope they release the games you want on VCA

yoitsme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii coders or developers don't seem to wanna pick this project up for some reason. It hasn't been updated in a year.

UniBonger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the current versions of MAME go for accuracy and not speed, so the newest sources are out (from what I've read for years)

however, GP2x MAME is based on an older version has been ported to a bunch of different systems with really good compatibility for games up to, say, early 90's... That could probably be ported to the wii much, much easier than porting the original MAME source code or even x-box MAME

check it out here:
http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the only way I have hope in a "working" MAME emulator in the near future, is if Tantric takes the project on. But him along with so many other coders are busy perfecting the projects they are already working with.

This is the #1 emulator I have wanted from day 1 too.
frown.gif

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Tantric just makes the GUIs, not the emulators. MAME worked like crap on Xbox 1, which was x86, what makes you think it will work any better on Wii.

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if they ever got it to work has good as they did for the Xbox1 i would be happy has hell, Cause the games i like played on the Xbox great, all my old shooter titles worked good,

steve-p

Trophies
XP
Country
now the wii has SDHC capability, maybe they should compile a fresh one with it included.
that should speedup the loading.
maybe even create a swapfile on the card to use during game init when stuff like rom-decryption takes place.
that uses a lot of ram but can be free'd up before you play.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
because MAME is a pain in the ass to port on a console system and because there aren't so many emulator devs in the Wii scene and they are all probably very busy already

the only valuable ports are using "limited" MAME package, like MAME4ALL for the dreamcast
this still require lot more work than simply porting SDL emulator in 2 days by just copypasting some wii code ;-)

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
wiiguy said:
Why would it take so long to load games made 15-20 years ago?
Because you're not loading just the game, you're loading a complete emulation of the original hardware the game ran on.

This is no easy task.

grante

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MAME, unlike all the other emulators, doesn't just emulate a single system.

To write an SNES emulator (or port an existing one) you just need to get all the hardware that was in the SNES working properly.

Different arcade machines had different hardware. Some of them used the same basic hardware with extra boards added one. Some used completely different ones. To get all the games working, you have to emulate ALL of them...it's a much bigger and more difficult project to port than the consoles.

musicman61554

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would be nice. I miss MAME. Its better on a big screen than on a computer screen. I was only able to get Turtles and The Simpsons to work on mine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    you go bro
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i know, i know, i'm late
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/E1U7Nlt.mp4 +1