Why is happening this?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This question involves a Nintendo Wii, but not particularly a question focused on the console but rather on displays.

So... I'm still playing with my Nintendo Wii.
My old SONY Trinitron CRT died about half year ago. So I bought an AV2VGA converter to play in an LCD Monitor.
This monitor is an 18.5in SAMSUNG LCD 933 monitor from 2008.

Turns out I have a 4K tv with Component and HDMI.
And I've tried to play Wii on that TV and it has awful lag, even with Component Inputs.
While playing on my old SAM Monitor with a converter does not add lag at all.

I ALREADY KNOW WHY MY 4K TV ADDS LAG TO THE WII...

But why is my SAM monitor not adding any at all?

Testing with 240pSuite:
  • 4K TV adds about 1.30 secs of lag.
  • SAM MONITOR adds 14.10frames of lag (and even then it says that NTSC signal recognizes input at about 14 frames) so that's virtually lag free.
TL;DR
WHY ON SAMSUNG MONITOR WII DOESN'T HAS LAG?

Does that mean that I won't have lag on 4K TV with an AV2HDMI converter?

Last edited by JuanMena, , Reason: Fixed Typos

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Most 4K TVs are pretty bad about this, they can range anywhere from 15ms to 75ms response time. How you connect your Wii to it isn't going to make any difference, but do check if your TV has a "game mode" in the picture settings or elsewhere, as this is typically designed to cut that response time down by quite a bit.

In my experience, retro games/consoles are far less forgiving when it comes to input lag, and so I too ended up with my Wii (and Switch) connected to my 1ms, 1440p monitor. I've got my PS2 connected to a CRT, only my PS5 and PC are connected to the 4K TV.

Last edited by Xzi,

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Most 4K TVs are pretty bad about this, they can range anywhere from 15ms to 75ms response time. How you connect your Wii to it isn't going to make any difference, but do check if your TV has a "game mode" in the picture settings or elsewhere, as this is typically designed to cut that response time down by quite a bit.
Mhmm... I'm aware of "Game Mode" which won't help either.
By no means I'm trying to play Wii on 4K TV.

I was thinking on getting an old LCD 32in Monitor to play Wii on bigger screen... but I want to know, if the fact that I'm using an old monitor has a positive effect reducing lag on old consoles.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking on getting an old LCD 32in Monitor to play Wii on bigger screen... but I want to know, if the fact that I'm using an old monitor has a positive effect reducing lag on old consoles.
It just depends on the capabilities of that specific monitor, but in general yes, monitors have much faster response times than TVs. Anything 5ms or less is acceptable for retro gaming, and 1ms is of course ideal.

Reactions: JuanMena

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It just depends on the capabilities of that specific monitor, but in general yes, monitors have much faster response times than TVs. Anything 5ms or less is acceptable for retro gaming, and 1ms is of course ideal.
Holy shit! So my suspicion was right! :creep:

Time to go hunting for old monitors then!
Even crappy TFT monitors :rofl2:

Reactions: Xzi

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here's some old data for faster melee on several setups. Both gamecube > 60hz crt and Wii > display to hdmi > 60 hz monitor as roughly the same input lag to each other.

The monitor used for the wii setup was an asus vg248qe which is a 144hz 1ms delay screen.

So as long as your monitor is responsive, even the addition of the computation time to translate the wii analog signal to hdmi signal will roughly be the same as running the game on a native CRT

Reactions: JuanMena

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands