Why is Filetrip shutting down?

gamewitch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I've been away from the GBATemp network for a really long time, but to make a long story short I was looking for Rogue DS to use on my 3DS I found it on Filetrip and that was when I found out that it was shutting down. Why exactly is Filetrip coming to an end after all these years?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
this is just too bad, because I used filetrip a lot for personal hosting. it's easy to upload and access files.
not all files are meant to be public in the download center, I used filetrip to host all my guide's pictures and screenshots for example, which download center can't do.
I'll have to find a new host for all my pictures, and worse : remember all the places I used fletrip URL and update my guides...

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
The reason it has been shut down, and I'm going to mark this as best answer because I'm the owner / admin and I made the decision, is because from the moment we started allowing personal file uploads, people have been uploading too much illegal stuff, and eventually Google banned us. And following that, not a single reasonable ad network would work with us (the only ones who did were shady platforms that wanted to "send notifications", run "popup unders" and other bullshit, which I denied). After two years without any ads this has simply become unsustainable.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Honestly, personal uploads became a serious nightmare to keep up with and just dragged the entire site down. When I was still an admin and before my breakdown, I would spend literal hours trying to clean up all of the illegal content and banning accounts. But it impossible to keep up with and the second I took a break, 10 new accounts would show up, and the cycle would continue. It was a great site and the personal upload option sounded great at first, but everything went downhill very fast and became impossible to maintain.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, I would love if people uploaded free shit to my server. Saves me the trouble of having to download it all. Perhaps their is a server for you to use on the onion?

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats really a shame filetrip was my #1 source for flash cart files and GB/GBA roms back in the early 3DS years sad to see it go :(

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if it's files related to consoles, they are probably available on Downloads section of gbatemp, the public file database has been transferred.

filetrip sources would be nice to use as easy file uploader on my own server for my own use (guide's pictures, etc.).
I guess I can just code one myself, but I'm not sure how secure I can code nowadays.

I hope people won't lose too much important files.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Filetrip is now closed.

Due to lack of funding we had to close our servers.
A message was posted late February to inform users to backup their files.
At the end of March the servers were shut down permanently.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty how are you?