Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
Canada
unpopular opinion time

i love epic games.

i think the launcher is visibly pleasing to look at, super simple to use. sure it lacks some features but i never liked comment sections anyway.

not to mention, free games. i could sell my epic account with all my free games on there.

of course there are things that could be better, but for me? i don't give a flying FUCK if the developers or the producers or whatever are not getting their moola. it's not my issue, and i'd still play minecraft if it was made by poor people. (don't comment on that last comment, it's not meant to be discussed because i know what people like to do and they like to pick apart things they think are dumb so i'm gonna stretch this post a little bit longer and say don't comment about it.)

thank you for your time :)

your opinions are valued.

tl;dr

i like epic games.

Ricken

Waiting for something to happen?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like Epic mainly because Fortnite was a horrific piece of modern culture. I don't hate on their launcher too much but frankly I wish to support it as little as possible, like, they give out great value for free and get good exclusives but as others have said, Steam was supposed to be THE END ALL LAUNCHER. Now we've got other launchers out there for no good reason. Yeah you can just, add the games to your steam library and make it look simpler I guess, but you still need to BUY IT from another store. Not to mention how warm and fuzzy it makes you feel knowing you need Origin, Epic, Blizzard, uPlay, Galaxy, AND Steam all open in the background to play your games.
Wait, epic game store was the one that had rocket league on there but some how unable to purchase on steam all of a sudden? :blink:

Are there more games like this case? :unsure:
Steam HAD Rocket League, but became a free-to-play game. Steam owners may still get updates through their already purchased steam versions.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To this day, the single biggest issue I have with EGS is that they don't offer universal cloud saves. I know some games have it, kinda sorta, but it doesn't seem to work that well, and it's one of those features that everybody (except Bethesda) seems to have figured out. I personally buy what I can from GOG, but I don't absolutely hate EGS. I just hope one day that they can join us in the early 2010s. God forbid they actually add things like a shopping cart.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well... The reason it's hated is because of the exclusivity they ask in return from developers.
Clients (customers) are just butthurt because they don't want 'yet another platform' aside steam. If you ask me, they overlook the other side of that bargain : developers get a much larger share on each sale. Iirc, it was 12% versus steams 20%,and even less if they use unreal engine. So of course developers take it : it's not like gamers would be willing to pay 8% more on Steam on games to even out the profit.

And as also mentioned: yes, the epic store has less features than steam. User reviews, steam workshop and achievements are most mentioned.

Kind of ironic, but I don't hate them (fuck... I basically lived ut2004 at one point) but my beef is far more significant : proton has made linux gaming much easier. Epic being windows only is a step back, if you ask me.

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason I ever hated them was getting Black Panther's appearance wrong in Fortnite. Funny thing, though, I don't hate Fortnite. I don't play it, but I don't hop on the hate bandwagon. The community used to be annoying back in 2018, but the game itself is OK.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The Epic Games store is clearly a Chinese hoax designed to undermine American exceptionalism and turn us all into Commies
you say that like you're joking lol...

BlackZero500

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did not read the entire thread so pleas excuse me if that was mentioned already, but the fact that the Epic Game launcher searches for games from other Launchers on your system makes me vomit and feeds the desire to smash their head in with a book about the Privacy of my Files.

Also i think for a Company that OWNS the Unreal Engine to make Contracts where the Devs do not profit from but simply be able to survice is really low. Also they sold the licence for the Engine to PlayerUnknown, saw that his game got big fast and just copied the game in anoter style. I mean come on, in the beginning it was nearly a Comic like Battlegrounds Clone. They only won in Court because they bribed their way through and so PlayerUnknown hat to settle with a meager Sum to keep quiet about that all.

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Things I don't like about epic's launcher
No workshop
No market place
No big picture mode
None of Steam's AMAZING controller support.
The epic launcher uses a lot of background cpu and ram
The epic launcher is generally buggy and unstable
No mac/linux support

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Probably because people who claim to hate them had been under Valve's thumb for so long (Valve being a none too pleasant group of individuals from where I sit either) and have come to love their slave masters.
They will contrive reasons as though publishers dictating terms has not been a thing since the dawn of the games/entertainment industry.

Epic are a bunch of cunts as well (kind of inevitable once you have more than about 100 customers) but I would rather the world be filled with cunts than dominated by a few.

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of Steam's AMAZING controller support.
I don't really have quarrels with the launcher but this is the one thing I keep hoping they work on sooner than later.
Steam's controller wrapper is a godsend, I would love to see something similar in GOG or Epic some day.

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't really have quarrels with the launcher but this is the one thing I keep hoping they work on sooner than later.
Steam's controller wrapper is a godsend, I would love to see something similar in GOG or Epic some day.

Not only that but Steam simply has more accessibility options for disabled people, and it's easier to find games that have accessibility options on the Steam storefront as well.

It's little things like supporting people with disabilities or simply people who like multiple peripherals for playing video games that makes Steam always come out on top over Epic and other storefronts.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Do you know who else does that ?
Seemy like Square Enix has a thing for 'Bad Boys'.
The difference is that devs actually make money on PlayStation. That's fine in my book. EGS has literally nothing going for it, and is being kept on life support by Epic pouring money into bribes. It's not a business model that can work long term, it doesn't help anyone. I know Epic hopes that eventually enough people will be using EGS because of all the free games and exclusives, so that they can compete with Steam. But for that to happen, I think they're gonna need something more than just a bunch of exclusives and free games. They're gonna need a reason for people to stay.
Just bribing people and putting zero effort into making something worth using is just lazy. The way they're trying to force EGS becoming popular is just a dick move. Sony worked hard to make PS popular.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The difference is that devs actually make money on PlayStation. That's fine in my book. EGS has literally nothing going for it, and is being kept on life support by Epic pouring money into bribes. It's not a business model that can work long term, it doesn't help anyone. I know Epic hopes that eventually enough people will be using EGS because of all the free games and exclusives, so that they can compete with Steam. But for that to happen, I think they're gonna need something more than just a bunch of exclusives and free games. They're gonna need a reason for people to stay.
Just bribing people and putting zero effort into making something worth using is just lazy. The way they're trying to force EGS becoming popular is just a dick move. Sony worked hard to make PS popular.

A bribe is at the very least illegal or strongly immoral.
Saying we will pay you/give you a better cut/invest in your development and advertising for exclusivity, a deal which they are perfectly free to say "no thanks" to... is not that.

Going to need more than content?
... I mean I suppose a demented, though they might say dedicated, group of sycophants and fanboys is not necessarily a bad position to be in.

I am also struggling to get to dick move for this. If you can't make your own content fast enough to be a distribution platform then you buy it in... that is generally how the entertainment industry has worked since... I have examples books that did that in the late 1700s and it was all the rage by the mid 1800s.

There have been plenty of others seeking to compete with Steam. None had more than their little slice of content and thus people continued to ignore them because convenience. If you are going to break into a saturated market and go up against a monopoly then you have to make the big play.

From where I sit Steam are not owed my loyalty (indeed I actively avoid having an account). They are a parasite like all the others, they stopped lending of games, kicked second hand PC games hard in the nuts to where it is still reeling (being delisted would be no problem if such things were common), have played censor and have played gatekeeper. All major negatives.
If people are willing to sacrifice all that to spare them having to hold the devs to account to use common controllers (that OSes provide ample support for) and because they are too lazy to point one of the billion online storage options at their game saves folder... I knew gamers were by and large cheap bastards but I still thought sterner stuff.
The idea of giving over distribution on a medium to a single given for profit company... *shudders*.

Re Epic vs Apple. I don't necessarily think they had much of a legal leg to stand on but I sure don't like Apple's position as gatekeeper and arbiter of my would be computer.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EGS has literally nothing going for it
It presents your game library in a convenient list and automatically downloads updates. That was enough for Steam for years. It's enough for UPlay and Origin, too.

And like I said before, you can actually browse the selection on the Epic store without having to sort through mountains of crap that no one should ever be spending money on. Can you even really browse Steam anymore? Haven't people asked for some measure of curation for years? I suspect Epic would be quite happy to let Steam keep that insignificant slice of the proverbial pie.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Steam was supposed to be the "end-all, be-all" of game distribution, and they've done really well over the years. I hate that game launchers are now becoming so fragmented. No, I don't want to install your shitty game launcher just to play the game I legally bought through Steam. **Stares in EA's uPlay**
Small correction that hardly matters, uPlay (now called Ubisoft Connect) is Ubisoft's games platform. EA's is called Origin. Just further proves your point of this being an oversaturation issue, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1