Why does everyone hate Epic?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate? I don't even know them. Besides knowing they did fortnite, gears of war, and owner of unreal engine, that's all I know about them. I mean surely they aren't as bad as the stuff I hear about EA games (let's remember they used to be great once, this was during the good old days of sega megadrive) but I mean, I can't say I hate them. I never even played one of their games nor do I want to honestly. :blink:

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Steam was supposed to be the "end-all, be-all" of game distribution, and they've done really well over the years. I hate that game launchers are now becoming so fragmented. No, I don't want to install your shitty game launcher just to play the game I legally bought through Steam. **Stares in EA's uPlay**

This fragmentation is literally becoming the model it seeked to replace. Just like how Netflix destroyed the cable companies, now everyone and their mom's dog has a streaming solution, fragmenting channels again, just like cable. It makes zero sense to the consumer, and just ends up fucking US in the end.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Because they throw money at devs for exclusivity deals for their objectively worse storefront, "forcing" gamers to install yet another resource hogging client so they can enjoy their games, further fragmenting an already fragmented ecosystem (with Uplay and Origin and MS Store and GoG and Blizzard etc etc)

It's one thing when a AAA dev does it for their own games, it's shit but what are you gonna do? But it's another when a company is effectively holding games "hostage" to try and force their shitty services onto gamers instead of just, y'know, having a good service in the first place. I wouldn't mind Epic that much if their client wasn't just straight dogshit, but it is and they know the only way people will use it is if they throw cash at devs for free/exclusive games.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Because they throw money at devs for exclusivity deals for their objectively worse storefront, "forcing" gamers to install yet another resource hogging client so they can enjoy their games, further fragmenting an already fragmented ecosystem (with Uplay and Origin and MS Store and GoG and Blizzard etc etc)

It's one thing when a AAA dev does it for their own games, it's shit but what are you gonna do? But it's another when a company is effectively holding games "hostage" to try and force their shitty services onto gamers instead of just, y'know, having a good service in the first place. I wouldn't mind Epic that much if their client wasn't just straight dogshit, but it is and they know the only way people will use it is if they throw cash at devs for free/exclusive games.
Exactly right.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
A lot of people are just attached to steam, as we've had it for years
No. It's deeper than this.

Epic, and Sweeney especially, are creating problems where there were none. Shelling out millions and even snaking games for exclusivity on their launcher. Taking aim at software giants under the guise "for the consumer" and breaking the rules, acting like they don't apply to them. The launcher is still a joke, a few years later. It runs stupidly slow.. Still missing basic functionalities, that are on the backburner until something catches fire.

They're not providing healthy competition for the gaming marketplace. They're a toxic company that doesn't care about you, they just want to make waves.

It's easy to say it's petty to hate Epic, but I'd rather use Origin almost exclusively than reinstall the EGS.

Last edited by Kioku,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Considering how much people love to hate on Steam these days for allowing so much shovelware, it seems to me that Epic is objectively better in that regard.

I wouldn't mind Epic that much if their client wasn't just straight dogshit
Forgetting about the storefront features for a moment (especially considering that's exactly what you get with any web browser), is the client really that much worse than Steam or UPlay or Origin?

Taking aim at software giants under the guise "for the consumer" and breaking the rules, acting like they don't apply to them.
I can't say I've been following the matter closely at all, but isn't is possible that Apple's rules actually are bad?

Last edited by Kwyjor,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I can't say I've been following the matter closely at all, but isn't is possible that Apple's rules actually are bad?

Did I at all imply they weren't?

It may have made the difference. There's a potential bill in the works would change mobile marketplaces and how they work. I sincerely doubt it wasn't for a selfish reason, though.

Last edited by Kioku,

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a huge fan of their mistreatment of developers (specifically the people who work on Fortnite, I hear working conditions are awful). That whole debacle between Epic and Apple with the lawsuit a while ago really didn't help either.

Jim Sterling has made a great video on the subject of Epic Vs. Apple and their video about the Epic Store is pretty solid too (a bit dated tbh, but they still have some good points) if you want to check em out.

Last edited by Seliph,

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a huge fan of their mistreatment of developers (specifically the people who work on Fortnite, I hear working conditions are awful). That whole debacle between Epic and Apple with the lawsuit a while ago really didn't help either.

Jim Sterling has made a great video on the subject of Epic Vs. Apple and their video about the Epic Store is pretty solid too if you want to check em out.

The real enemy in that situation was capitalism

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
They made Fortnite.

Fortnite.

How fucking dare they.
They also did a bunch of bad business practices apparently, but that doesn't matter because it pales in comparison to the sin of making a game that I don't like

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
They made Fortnite.

Fortnite.

How fucking dare they.
My friend's demon little brother sold his life to that game. At this point he's probably spent over 500 dollars on it and he's only 12. The game corrupted him.

Well... I guess he's always been a demon but he's especially demonic when he can't have his turn on the Switch to play Fortnite. Not something you want to deal with when you're trying to get in practice the night before a concert.

Jokes aside, it's really terrible what Epic's monetization strategy for Fortnite has done to people. It traps in people susceptible to addiction and absolutely destroys incomes. Of course, this is a problem with the game industry as a whole obviously and other games have been worse with lootboxes, but that certainley doesn't make Epic innocent.
Dammit, you had the perfect opportunity to make a "always has been" joke
What do you mean? It always said that. Always has been that, if you will. ;)

Last edited by Seliph,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy