1. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

Canada
    Oh yeah that too! Collectible stuff, arts, manuals, discs labels, promo codes, posters. All the goodies you can never have with a shitty burned disc with the game name written with a sharpie.

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

I buy them to use as coasters, nothings holds a nice cup of tea in it's place like the latest £50 PS4/Xbox one disk

Taleweaver and fedehda like this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Have you tried vintage vinyl?

4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Yeah, they are good, but slightly too large to fit on my desk without getting in the way :rofl:

5. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.
    Contributor

United States
    Because I do not want to be the kind of person who hurts others for personal gain. If I put years of my life into creating some form of art to sell, and people just end up stealing copies of it for free, I would be rather rightfully upset. Your friend is essentially asking "why would I not harm and upset others if it's just so easy to be a dick?" Not the kind of person I'd ever want to call a friend. Don't get me wrong, piracy of digital media isn't so black-and-white, and there's a good argument to be made that "pirating doesn't rob the developers of money if I would never have bought the game in the first place", but it doesn't sound like that's what your friend is thinking about. It sounds like they don't see a reason not to pirate every single game.

Besides the obvious moral reasons, if developers see diminished returns on certain video games, they stop making them. By not buying the games you enjoy, you're contributing to the mindset that "people don't want these games" and making it so they are more scarce/have a lower budget/stop existing altogether.

6. KingpinSlim

KingpinSlim Newbie

Cause it makes me happy.
    I have more games than i could ever play on Steam alone.
    It is the whole collector-mentality.
    I take joy in owning things.

Hardline likes this.
  7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

No but generally i would say live and let live, for most people the effort of finding shady sites to download hacked games from coupled with the risk of viruses etc, and then having no online play is enough to keep 99% of people way from pirating

8. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Canada
    I like physical copies (or an easy to stream interface like steam). however I'm also pretty cheap so I raid the $20> bins and have a massive backlog for it. I'm pretty sure only my digital sales support devs these days so I guess habit and morality is the largest factors.

9. ployermick

OP ployermick Advanced Member
    Newcomer

i have pirated a lot before, and i still do one the 3ds, but for some reason i stopped pirating on pc. i don't know why and how, but i did

10. Kanakops

Kanakops GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I have a Bad english

seriously, I have obtain a lot of games for free, but I paid games likes Kirby and megaman zero (rip) for support dev to make other games of the serie on all of my favorites platforms games

But for the other games I don't paid because I have paid a lot of games and I don't have like it or play it a long time, I have no remord to have 40$ games for free when I know Im just going to play it 5 minutes or if I don't like the game

For me the pain when I was kid its to have 20$/month and save this money to buy a really crappy game at 40$ and give to gamestop for 5$

So this is probably hypocritical on my part but I only pay for my favorites games series (on nintendo platform)

11. No point collecting CD/DVD etc, they all get cd rot and end up crap anyway.. they usually have a life span of 100 years if you are lucky. Some of the very first printed CD's are breaking down already.

ov3rkill likes this.
  12. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

No point having a body, it will break down eventually :creep:

DrkBeam and ov3rkill like this.
  13. 08457 90 90 90 - Thats the Samaritans phoneline.

14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

No point calling them, the call will end eventually :creep:

The point is you can't really say something won't last forever so there is no point having/doing it at all

Last edited by gamesquest1, Apr 30, 2017
  15. There is if you cant play the damn things in 50 years time.

16. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

TBH most people probably wouldn't want to, or you can resell it in 2 weeks time and get some money back unlike most digital games

Don't get me wrong, I know what your trying to say, but some people collect for show, like sealed games collectors they never intend. To play them but keep them for decorative/display or as an investment , sure it might not be functional in 2000 years time, but it's still a collectible with some historic value

Last edited by gamesquest1, Apr 30, 2017
  17. I dont do digital either, im just trying to put across that cartridges are the way to go if you are going to collect for yourself or to make money down the road. CD's are not going to last very long compared to things like NES carts.

18. fedehda

fedehda GBAtemp Fan

Argentina
    I love physical copies of a game. There's nothing better than having it in a book shelf or somewhere else, with their guidebooks (if there any). Or using my ps4 games to hold papers, don't know.

And I pirate because I first need to check how good the game is (happened with No Man's Sky, or wish I could have tested Battlefront before I bought it).

Hardline likes this.
  19. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I buy games because the fucking DRM won't let me pirate it. That or it's an online fucking game. :rofl2:

20. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica
    The CD research never stopped progressing.
    CD's from 20 years ago are a lot flimsier then CD's produced today.

Not to mention that in 100 years, there will be plenty of different ways to access the original content.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - games,