Why do people post self-degrading statuses online?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by leafeon34, Aug 12, 2018.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 My profile picture is ugly

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    We've all seen it before. "I hate myself", "he dumped me probably because im too ugly", "Note to self - stop being such a useless piece of shit." and so on. I remember one female friend had an argument with her boyfriend and started writing words such as "unlovable" in her physical diary.

Something I've never understood is why people post these statuses. I've done it before many years ago but don't know why. Is it an attempt to grab sympathy or attention? Do some people going through hard times notice other people posting such statuses and imitate their behaviour (social proof)? Is it a symptom of mental illness?

CallmeBerto and EddieEddie90 like this.
  2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Embrace yourself

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    Fishing for compliments.

3. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2007
    Last edited by notimp, Aug 12, 2018
    leafeon34 and CallmeBerto like this.
  4. EddieEddie90

EddieEddie90 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 24, 2016
    Mexico
    I guess some people just don't know of any other way to grab someone's attention.

5. qqq1

qqq1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    qqq1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Possibly fishing for compliments. As someone who has had depression more than half his life making myself feel bad at least lets me feel something.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  6. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    It's kind of like cutting yourself. It's an outward manifestation of someone's state of hopelessness and a cry for help.

leafeon34 and CallmeBerto like this.
  7. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    Some fish for compliments and some think it's a funny meme. As someone who's going through suicidal thoughts nearly every day, it's frustrating how these kids make depression a mockery.

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Self deprecation/mockery, and self degradation if we are to us the OP's term, do form the basis for a lot of humour, especially in Europe and the UK (former) commonwealth. Even ignoring parody it is far from absent in US comics, though there it is more reserved for the darker comics (go watch a set from Doug Stanhope, George Carlin or possibly Sam Kinison).

I would want greater context for some of the examples in the OP but many I can happily see be that without it. Some could be seeking some kind of affirmation, some could be a genuine expression of feelings and some could be some variation on the same thing that gives us the "humble brag" but I absolutely can not dismiss the humour element.