Hacking Why do Nintendo still allows all of this?

Kirtai

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I expect it takes a lot of time and work to retrofit some kind of authentication into their network infrastructure. Especially if it was built without allowing for it.
Even so, I expect they're doing it because they can't afford the loss of reputation with other businesses if they don't.

Reactions: kingaz

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is sure to have logs of people using this method to steal their software. I'd be very weary of doing so.

kingaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't they do something with your ip tho

How? Remember why the CDN exists in the first place: for legit users to download and redownload stuff. All IP information tells them is that someone is connecting.

If they knew that a ticket was invalid, they wouldn't let you download in the first place.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One of the big problems is that different countries have different laws in regards this. Like here in Scotland you are legally allowed to backup any game/cd/dvd you own and are legally allowed to use the back up as long as you don't give it to anyone else. So legally I can backup my game carts and convert them to cia so the problem for Nintendo is how would they know if I am playing a game that I own or don't own they wouldn't so they could not issue a ban unless the game I am playing is not available in Scotland.

Last edited by AmandaRose,
D

Deleted-379826

One of the big problems is that different countries have different laws in regards this. Like here in Scotland it you are legally allowed to backup any game/cd/dvd you own and are legally allowed to use the back up as long as you don't give it to anyone else. So legally I can backup my game carts and convert them to cia so the problem for Nintendo is how would they know if I am playing a game that I own or don't own they wouldn't so they could not issue a ban unless the game I am playing is not available in Scotland.
That's true

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm sure at one point Nintendo can do something but why would they bother, they have NX to worry about. Like their 9.6 seed crypto thing, that was broken really quick ('cryptofix' versions and visiting the eStore page) and as of a few days, you can install the required seed using FBI so you can do it totally offline.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not like Nintendo hasn't tried to prevent piracy. They added the anti-piracy code into 3DS games, and they patch kernel exploits. They just seem to accidentally create another vulnerability when they do. I'm assuming the online thing is because the eShop checks your ticket.db as well as NNID if you link one, so it sees you as having the right to redownload. This doesn't seem like it's as easily fixed as people think.

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's not true.

Nintendo don't have 3rd party support already; that would be suicide if they did. By which I mean allow people to pirate games.

its a case of they just plan ahead like MS & Sony.

Nintendo just don't have the online infrastructure in place.
Nintendo 3DS has massive third party support. Everybody and their grandma wants to make games for the 3DS. Its the Wii U that has zero third party support.

Back on topic. Who is say that Nintendo is not planning for a massive global ban of consoles ids and NNIDs linked to accounts that have tickets magically appearing with zero purchase record.

Its way too premature to say that Nintendo is allowing this to happen. It takes a long time to collect enough evidence that someone is stealing and not simply re-downloading an old purchase before the NNID was ever linked. Banning the wrong people can become a PR nightmare. Once Nintendo has enough evidence that a user is stealing they will eventually ban the console id. Just wait.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think about it for a while; Why do Nintendo still allow us to install tickets and download pirate games directly from their servers? They surely can stop this with a simple check on the bought games, like they do for legit bought games can't they?

Also, if multiple homebrew can use security flaws to gain control and disable checks, why can't they use security flaws in the homebrews to wreck our hacks? I'm pretty sure there could be many.

Another thing, why don't they issue permanent online bans? I'm not really sure but I think there could be N ways to check if an online user is a legit owner of said game. Hell, even when they DO detect pirate games online (same header roms on flashcarts) they issue simbolic bans of no more than a few weeks.

I don't understand why they sometimes try so hard to fix things that are not so harmful (userland homebrew) while allowing such incredible exploits for pirating.

I don't understand, really. How long will we be allowed to keep those methods?

Simple: You should be happy. :D

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's not that they are allowing it, it's that they can't stop us. The most Nintendo can do is ban you for install from Ticket's, but they really can't ban you for downloading updates for CIA games or DLC because they honestly can't prove that the game I am launching is a CIA or a physical cart.
The most Nintendo can do, is maybe ban people and maybe update more to slow down anyone just getting into the piracy scene.

They also really can't sue people, unless they can prove that they are doing something illegal. Which would be extremely hard considering the number of people doing it. They would have to have some extreme case to prove that you've committed a crime.
I mean, I am running CIA's right now, but they are my own backups. So the most they can prove is that I backed up my own games and didn't distribute them. Thus there isn't much to sue on.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Once Nintendo has enough evidence that a user is stealing they will eventually ban the console id. Just wait.

Well, what if you own a physical copy, and wants to install a backup through the tickets + eShop method? They have no way to know whether you own the game or not.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
They surely can stop this with a simple check on the bought games, like they do for legit bought games can't they?

In regards to ticket installing and what not, it isn't that simple.

They may have to overhaul the whole eshop system and 3DS software side in order to get it done.

This late into the 3DS system's life,
the effort is better served at:
1. blocking CFW (with no CFW, what ticket installations right)
2. Focusing on plugging the hole for the next handheld which there are developing.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, what if you own a physical copy, and wants to install a backup through the tickets + eShop method? They have no way to know whether you own the game or not.
I think it's a copyright infringement (no it's not actually theft, that's why companies sue and not press criminal charges) since you didn't pay for the eShop version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.