why do i suddenly not enjoy shooters anymore

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by tiamat999, Sep 20, 2016.

1. tiamat999
    OP

tiamat999 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 28, 2013
    United States
    i used to love playing borderlands but just got burnt out on it and even edf which is my favorite shooter series i dont feel like playing much anymore.

2. Zeriel

Zeriel Squid Kid

Jul 10, 2015
    Have you accepted Splatoon into your life yet?
    all your questions shall be answered!

3. Zeriel
    This message by Zeriel has been removed from public view by Depravo, Sep 20, 2016.
    Sep 20, 2016
  4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    This^ So much this
    Splatoon is amazing!

ihaveamac likes this.
  5. sergey3000

sergey3000 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2013
    Iceland
    Because you become a human with feelings. Because killing make you feel guilty and bad. Because shooter's are sucks and mario is great. Because all shooting games are the same. (3d shooter's i meant. 2d are still great).

Last edited by sergey3000, Sep 20, 2016
    DeoNaught likes this.
  6. Zeriel

Zeriel Squid Kid

Jul 10, 2015
    I'm just gonna leave this here :D

7. Logan Pockrus

Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    Oh, whatever. I'm a "human being with feelings", but I enjoy the occasional shooter. More than likely the OP just became tired of the genre, and needs a break for a while.

8. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Maybe you're just shifting your interests of games to some other genre? I liked RPGs before but now i'm starting to like Shooters which i didn't like before.

VinLark likes this.
  9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    People's interests change over time, it's a natural occurrence. I used to love platformers when I was younger, but nowadays I can hardly find a platformer I could stomach playing for more than 15 minutes.

Just try other games, see if another genre hits your gaming g-spot.

10. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    With exception to games like Splatoon that deviate away from the realism and gritty and instead go for unique and creative experiences; most shooters are pretty much the same thing. It seems that long ago, developers got into a pissing match about who could create the most realistic and "true to life" shooter and for years they've been refining this battle, that frankly I find boring as hell. It's great that they've gotten these simulations to feel as real as they can at this point, but the action is so monotonous. I've played some Battlefield and Call Of Duty and others of the like in my time, and while they are initially fun, the visuals quickly stop looking inviting and the gameplay just gets old real fast. As such, I've never been one of those kinds of people with an interest of playing a shooter every night, yelling at some kid halfway around the country while he makes some profound insult toward my mother. Yeah, I guess that's another part of it, the culture surrounding the genre has always felt pretty toxic as well.

Logan Pockrus likes this.
  11. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    You answered it yourself. It's genre fatigue setting in. Try and branch out and play other types of games, and then in a while, go back, and I'm fairly sure you'll enjoy shooters once again.

12. mechagouki

mechagouki Kill 'em all...

Nov 20, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, ON

Mario shoots fireballs. Just sayin'

@OP, plough through a couple of good JRPGs, you'll build up a good healthy thirst for death and destruction again.

13. G0R3Z

G0R3Z Just Can't Be Bothered

Aug 12, 2014
    Depends on your mindset. Some people never get tired of the same murder simulator (COD) and some play every Genocide simulator (Dynasty Warriors) but you eventually get bored and want to branch out. Playing more genres varies your mind and also challenges your brain more. Who wants to play the same game over and over again? There's only so many times I can play the same turn based RPG. There is a time where we'll eventually outgrow video games altogether, but until then you should play every genre you see. Play indie games, non-mainstream games.

I no longer play Pokemon because it's the same thing each time, without fail.

14. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    The over-saturation of the market finally took its toll on you and you started to notice they're all the same.

15. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Every gaming archtype has a oversaturated market. Hard to make new ideas for games when all the good ones are taken, all we can do is try to make the existing one better by improving it and renaming it as new :{

Of course perhaps is just a theory. But to answer the question, have you try playing it different ways? I play megaman a lot, sometimes i'm so good and confident i play with handicaps. No special weapons, no upgrades, or one button. Trust me, having these limitations make the game more interesting, and leads to new ideas to keep a game repeatedly playable. :)

16. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    You are just getting burnt out on it. Try some niche little indie games or try some old shooters (like Deus Ex or something).