Why did I bother with A9LH?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Robfozz, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Robfozz
    OP

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    So I went through the hassle of installing A9LH on my N3DS. What was the point of this again? Besides faster boot ups, what benefits are there? Just struggling to justify the amount of time I spent getting it to work when my emuNAND cfw worked just fine.

2. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    faster and perfect bootrate, and brick protection. you really should've known this before you started.

3. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    The big one for me is that DSi games (and GBA, but I don't really use that) will just work without having to install them to both sysnand and emunand.

Not to mention you can update your sysnand to the latest update while keeping a 10.3 emunand for use with NTR. Since NTR is no longer being updated, once Ninty releases an update that breaks using the 10.2 firmware.bin you won't be able to use NTR at all.

Last edited by nl255, Jun 15, 2016
    FenrirWolf likes this.
  4. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    Brick protection, true coldbooting, being able to use sysNAND and thus eliminating the need for an emuNAND, which clears space on the SD card.

Lacius and FenrirWolf like this.
  5. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    • the ability to stop using emu/rednand and instead use sysnand (this means no more double installing DSi/GBA!)
    • FIRM write protection prevents updates from ever removing arm9loaderhax
    • "brick protection" because you can start Decrypt9/GodMode9/etc. before the operating system
    • 100% boot rate
    • bragging rights? boot animations? :P

6. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Faster and more reliable boots are the practical purpose of A9LH. You also get brick protection, and you get update protection if you're using Luma3DS in conjunction with A9LH.

7. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    rxTools worked fine for me on my 9.2 o3DS, but A9LH changed all that. All the reasons people gave before me here are why I made the change.

8. Robfozz
    OP

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    Is there a reason I would want update protection? Wouldn't it not matter if I updated on a CFW?

BADDINOROX99 and AyanamiRei like this.
  9. Tomato Hentai

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    Sometimes updating can screw up and update your sysNAND. It's rare for it to happen if you update correctly but it does happen.

10. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    how would it "screw up"? it wouldn't overwrite the FIRM partitions but how would it be any different than updating using emunand/etc before?

gnmmarechal and Tomato Hentai like this.
  11. Tomato Hentai

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    I dunno, I've heard of some people updating their emuNAND and also having sysNAND updated. That was quite a while ago, though, and I dunno how common that is now.

12. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    ok but that isn't anything special to a9lh, it is just that dsiware and gba games only play on emunand if you have them installed no both sysnand and emunand.
    if you use a9lh and want to play these games in emunand, you still need to install them twice.
    what you are talking about is just using cfw on sysnand, but that's not new and not limited to a9lh :)
    (you might understand this, maybe not, i just want to make sure people don't get confused)

13. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    well when you're using sysnand only, is that really an issue anymore? :P

I also don't understand how that's possible when you're in emunand, since you can't really touch sysnand when in emunand(even if they are "linked"). but what do I know?

VinsCool and Tomato Hentai like this.
  14. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Without A9LH, you lose access to CFW if your sysNAND accidentally gets updated. With A9LH+Luma3DS, it doesn't matter if your sysNAND gets updated because you will still have A9LH. In fact, plenty of people prefer to be on the latest sysNAND+A9LH+Luma3DS. It's like having a permanent entrypoint as long as you don't screw with A9LH. The same concept also means A9LH functions as a layer of brick-protection. If you do something unsavory to your sysNAND, you can always use A9LH to fix it and/or restore a sysNAND backup.

15. trigao

trigao GBAtemp Tiger

Nov 21, 2008
    Brazil
    Sorry, but want do you mean when you say: ntr doesnt work anymore??

I have a new 3ds with luma3ds+a9lh in 11.0 sysnand
    And ntr works normally, cheats, real time save, even streamming to pc

Maybe i understood wrong what you say
    Can you clarify to me??

16. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    To have a (for all practical purposes) permanent cfw that you don't need to think about. No need to worry about screwing it up from messing with your system's theme, nor any worry of having to run it every time.

17. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Yes, it works now but only because Ninty's 11.0 update is still compatible with using the 10.2 firmware.bin. When 11.1 comes out most likely they will update the system menu and other modules to require 11.0/11.1 nfirm and thus NTR won't work anymore after said update. That will also break downgrading via hardmod as well.

18. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    well, I think this whole thread is pointless as the A9LH install is done and no amount of contemplating changes that fact. Just go on and enjoy the benefits A9LH has to offer.

19. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    I don't know if he wanted to keep complaining until someone gave him instructions on how to remove a9lh then you know complaining would have done something . . . just saying

20. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    • Faster boot time compared to menuhax + CFW/emuNAND
    • 100% boot rate: No more having to hard shut down the 3ds and turning it back on
    • Brick protection: Ability to boot Decrypt9/Hourglass9/GodMode9 before rest of NAND boots
    • Ability to use purely sysNAND CFW, saving SD space and time
    • Access to future Arm9 homebrew
    • Custom boot images/animations
    Seriously, it's already been done. So why complain about it now? You should have researched and known full and well going in that it was going to take several hours to complete. Complaining now won't make the fact that you spent a few hours doing this go away. So why not just enjoy the fact that your 3ds is now superior than the standard 3ds user's and move on.

Codename likes this.