PS1/2 Why are they still supporting the PS2?

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why are new games still being released for the PS2 when all of the next generation consoles are available? GameCube and XBOX are no longer being supported, so why PS2? How long do you think they will continue to support this last-gen console?

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the same reason that Carmen Electra still gets photos in magazine pages. Although old and tired, we can't write off all of the spank-time we've been most graciously provided. It's the same with the PS2, just with less spanking.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Considering PS3's price, it's a good decision. Imagine if Sony cancelled all PS2 games that are out since PS3 release and made them into PS3 games, Sony HQ would be World Trade Centre by now.
(I mean most PS3 launch titles pretty much are originally planned for PS2 and just put on blu-ray to make it look like it's PS3 game)

If Sony stopped supporting PS2, they might have sold more units but they surely had hosted several molotov cocktails parties.

Players can deal with PS3's high price by playing newly released PS2 games on their PS2 and wait for a price drop. More like, Sony somewhat made them do that.

I mean, SRW OG, Shining Wind, Tales of Fandom 2, Odin Sphere, God of War 2, Mussou Orochi and any other games that I missed, are good games and it's better off they come out for PS2 and be welcomed than come out for PS3 in last gen quality and get horrible comments.

Say... PS2 is PS3's arch enemy at the moment
tongue.gif

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As someone else stated, it's because of the user base. PS2 is an AMAZING system and many people still have them. Most companies won't just completely dump the previous system when a new one comes out, simply because they have to meet in the middle. They also know that they aren't moving the PS3 quite like they had hoped. My 2 cents.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Which system would you rather release a game on? The PS2 that has sold millions? Or the PS3 that has sold 7.

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Because there are 100 million PS2s out there, compared to ~12 million 360s/~7 million Wiis/~4 million PS3s. Distributors and developers like profit maximization. Go figure.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2 is more profitable to develop for? If you develop a PS2 title chances are you can port it to the PSP, PC & Wii. You could also tart it up a bit and release it as a budget 360 title or even release it on the 360 & PS3's download service.

If you make a PS3 title it won't do as well as there isn't as many PS3 owners, plus Blueray discs are more expensive than PS2 DVD AND you have to spend a bit more time on it so it looks at least the PS3 standard as not many will pay £40-£50 on something that is kinda last generation as PS3 owners didn't spend a shit load on their console to play PS2 standard games. Oh and apparently its more expensive to make games that are also on a HD console (so I hear). So you make it for 360 and PC as well which also takes time and money if you want to do it properly but you can't really port it to PS2/PSP/Wii as that'll take a lot of time to do downgrading and so on and also trying to cut the amount of disc space so it will fit onto a UMD/DVD.

So I guess thats why most companies still support the PS2. Also all of the Xbox owners must've upgraded to the Xbox and well none Nintendo GC games never did sell that well.

ocarson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I reckon the ps2 still has about a year left in it until new ps2 games are shit, like what happened at the end of the ps1s lifespan. Plus it does hold a huge library of quality games.

AWESOME_noob

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally i dont think the Xbox OR the Gamecube was shitty AT ALL...remember playing Halo 1&2 or Ninja Gaiden..or GC Resident Evil 1 remake & RE4 & Super Smash Bros?

come to think of it PS2 had pretty darn good games too....(just cant thnk of any right now
unsure.gif
)

Sorry i dunno why i posted this cos it does not solve anything...
wacko.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally i dont think the Xbox OR the Gamecube was shitty AT ALL...remember playing Halo 1&2 or Ninja Gaiden..or GC Resident Evil 1 remake & RE4 & Super Smash Bros?

come to think of it PS2 had pretty darn good games too....(just cant thnk of any right nowÂ
unsure.gif
 )

Sorry i dunno why i posted this cos it does not solve anything...Â
wacko.gif
Totally agree, Xbox had the last Panzer Dragoon game that was brilliant. GC has had to amazing titles, mostly by Nintendo but still classics. People who say Xbox and GC don't have any good games are incredibly stupid and have no idea what they are talking about.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Until the fanboy stupidity ripping on the other of the gen, or other weirdness the real truth of it is the most simple of all. IT, not the PS3 is profitable, greatly at that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Why buy another Series X? Something happen to the 1st one?