Hacking Why are there no updates from Supercard?

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The average price for a SuperCard is what, $30USD?

The problem here is really about the level of expectation for your measly contribution. The SuperCard people could stop offering you updates tomorrow. They could stop offering you updates right now. You didn't pay for a product with guaranteed lifetime updates for $30!

You didn't even need to make your post that long because you were wrong in the second sentence. No, $30 products don't usually come with amazing support but the company still has a responsibility to their customers. NEVER should the customers just say "Oh well" and accept it. Don't you dare say that.

As I touched on in my original post, it happens in the electronics industry all the time. New product comes out, support for old product becomes non-existant. There would be an outcry if there were a new SuperCard that used new software that left the old one unsupported - but make no mistake, after the grumbling people would still buy the new card. If there weren't people jumping on every single new card that gets released there would be no incentive to develop new cards!

Bottom line, patch support is a goodwill favour towards customers. You aren't entitled to it, and it doesn't really matter how long you have to wait for it - the fact that you're getting patches at all means that a little appreciation is necessary. You're right, customers should never just say 'oh well', but this is a pirate market, not a legal purchase of a $10,000 television. Products will come and go, support will come and go. You can't blindly purchase these products without understanding the risk involved! With the abilities all these flash kits have, you're basically getting something for nothing - and it's digusting to see people complain that patches aren't happening fast enough/frequent enough/other cards have a patch but not mine. I already touched on the solutions to these problems above, and don't need to reiterate them now. Yes, we're still 'customers' to all these companies, but keep in mind that they have already made their money from the hardware, and if they close up shop there's nothing you can do about it. They don't owe you anything because they already delivered what they said they would. Their 'responsibility' is not to continually update their product, and if you expect that, well..read my post over again. It sounds as if you have some unrealistic expectation as a consumer, which is the whole problem I was discussing. Don't forget WHAT you're consuming, and realize that you are not a 'customer' in the regular sense here.

D

Deleted User

Makes sense I suppose. I'm in no hurry to play Lego Star Wars II on the DS because I'm playing it on the Xbox. (It ain't that great.) I do think the Supercard team will be working on some new loader software because they continue to manufacture and distribute the hardware. I can wait for the new patchs/software/whatever.
(It also might be a good chance for all those would be programmers to show us what you've got and provide us patches of your own.)

godbuns

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I agree with infoclast, I made a purchase and I have expectations no matter what type of product it is (dont really care about the patch or it being delayed,just talking about service). I didnt buy it off some bum on the curb, this is a business. These guys are making good money off ppl and they have serious competitors if they want to stay in bizness it would be in their best interest to give the customer what they want or at least try to meet the needs of their clients (ie at least a msg of patch release dates, ps i beleive supercard is doing a great job arguement is just principle). Dont get me wrong I in no way expect to get patch updates the next day its a little ridiculous, but to say dont expect nothing because of the type of product u bought is also way to harsh. And to the ppl saying buy the original if you cant wait, oh yeah y didnt i think of that , oh wait because i bought a supercard and im a pirate that doesnt pay for anything isnt that the same for most of you? Yeah i like to sample the whole product and then go get the real thing for no reason except that i have a box fetish, get real!

Hypnotoad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm in no hurry to play Lego Star Wars II because I'm playing it on the Xbox. (It ain't that great.)

If you think the xbox version ain't that great, you're really going to think the DS version sucks
laugh.gif

ratx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think my ( now infamous ) post has been rather misinterpreted, it was a google tools translation of a post on the chinese supercard forum so probally not so accurate in its exact meaning. I'll quote the translation again: "Practice before the National Day, there will be new software kernel" National day is the 1st of October, a massive chinese holiday - its extremely unlikely a new patcher will come out on the 1st. If I had to guess ( optimistically mind ) I'd suggest it means a new firmware / patcher will be out before the 1st.

cheers

5uck3rpunch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanx for the birthday wishes everyone!

I do think maybe it is a good idea to have 2 different carts, so you can play it on the 1st one that gets patched. Someone else said that a few pages back & I think it's a GREAT idea & I might try that suggestion!

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree with infoclast, I made a purchase and I have expectations no matter what type of product it is (dont really care about the patch or it being delayed,just talking about service). I didnt buy it off some bum on the curb, this is a business. These guys are making good money off ppl and they have serious competitors if they want to stay in bizness it would be in their best interest to give the customer what they want or at least try to meet
I spent the same as you and if SC closed up shop I would be like "thanks for the great cart, it was a fun ride." 30 dollars allowed me to play 140+ roms....and the great thing is I can still go and play those 140+ games whenever I want. Maybe it's cause I remeber spending what was it $250 or something like on gba flash kits. Jesus like at the price drop from G6 from launching at 250 for a 4G to now you get a 4G for under 100....blows my mind. So personally with SLOT 1 on the way out I would not be supprised if G6/M3/and SC all stopped pushing their GBA kits and started pushing their new slot 1 kits....again I HOPE this is not the case, I really don't but in the terrible event it does happen I can't bitch because of the fact that I got to play some extremly good games for the cost of 1 or 2 original games. And sure we will all bitch OMG my SC can't play "XXXXX" but the new SC SLOT 1 CAN and the majority of us will go out and buy it cause even at 100 dollars or 200 dollars its cheaper than buying original titles. On a final note while I the SC is not my fav, You have to give the company MAD props for the support its given concidering it was originally a GBA FLASH KIT.....NOBODY HAS offered that kind of DS support on a kit that was DESIGNED for PIRATING GBA GAMES...so a little patience wouldn't hurt. That's about it. Good Morning! I'm off to make some coffee.

godbuns

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@hugecock , dude my argument is just the tone that they poster recieved about a valid question. PPL tellin him to buy the game and everything else they themselves have not even done. My problem was just the tone like I said. They should put this stuff on discovery with the baby seals..look there in the distance we see a poster about to ask a question ...lets watch and see what happens!? Ok hes posted lets see who takes the bait. Crikey look at the posters swarm geebus its a feeding frenzy ive never seen anything like this cut the camera CUT THE CAMERA lol. Anyway ppl i dont want to get caught up in this my point is not everyone knows everything about supercards etc and some ppl will have questions and concerns and you can bet that being on a forum those same questions will be asked repeatedly and that is a fact get used to it...most likly if your a pirate which most are your used to why is my speed so slow. It happens deal with it. The one that started this fiasco was S2561588 talk about negative energy. Anyways ppl peace love and all that good stuff
smile.gif
enjoy your b days guys still waiting on my presents
smile.gif

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think I said this earlier.. Seems the person in charge of Supercard, Romman, tends to go on a long vacation once a year to Taiwan or something..

I remember this crap happening last year and the year before when it was just GBA support

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
i expect supercard to continue to suppord supercardSD/CF/lite with updates UNTIL they have a new product. eg. supercard 2/superkey 2

edit a GUI update would be nice though
wacko.gif

Euronymous

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Bumping this because we still need new firmware

Why, what is it that you want to play that you can't?

Why? Do you want to pick apart my complaints individually or are you just a sycophant?

It needs a new patcher and firmware. Patcher because of the issues that most people have to run an old copy of the 2.53 patcher in parallel with the latest, and firmware because of the 2 recent games that had to be manually patched - an obvious protection trend that may continue.

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the SuperCard team is working on one of the biggest updates ever for their line which should improve performance on all models. RomMan made a comment on the SC forums last week in which he said they will not be releasing a new patcher/firmware version until around the last week of September or beginning of October.

Other rumblings are that this update will include a performance increase for all models (the biggest yet to counter M3’s!), fixes for all games not working, and perhaps the announcement of the SuperCard S-1. Most are rumors but the date is not so we will have to see in the next few weeks.

The SuperCard team does not release product information until a product is ready for production and can be out on store shelves usually within a week or two of the announcement.

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

azndragonguy115

Trophies
Website
hai-san.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
I believe the SuperCard team is working on one of the biggest updates ever for their line which should improve performance on all models. RomMan made a comment on the SC forums last week in which he said they will not be releasing a new patcher/firmware version until around the last week of September or beginning of October.

Other rumblings are that this update will include a performance increase for all models (the biggest yet to counter M3’s!), fixes for all games not working, and perhaps the announcement of the SuperCard S-1. Most are rumors but the date is not so we will have to see in the next few weeks.

The SuperCard team does not release product information until a product is ready for production and can be out on store shelves usually within a week or two of the announcement.

FifthE1ementÂ
yaynds.gif
that fantastic news

i really wish that the supercard gui was skinnable
frown.gif
its seriously ugly

but not as important as better performance
yaynds.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Bumping this because we still need new firmware

Why, what is it that you want to play that you can't?

Why? Do you want to pick apart my complaints individually or are you just a sycophant?

I was just curious because there's nothing that doesn't work in some form or another, unless you're incapable of using a DOS prompt.
It needs a new patcher and firmware. Patcher because of the issues that most people have to run an old copy of the 2.53 patcher in parallel with the latest, and firmware because of the 2 recent games that had to be manually patched - an obvious protection trend that may continue.

Would be nice, but it's not exactly critical is it.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree, the cards that get the patch support get the sales. Period.

Patch dis shit

Yep and i am laughing all the way now. Many people shout SUPERCARD , then dont care to remember that the updates are slow, still in a very fanboy way claim it is the best when people ask around for a honest opinion. Then atleast 5 of the same fanboys react when people say that there not that compatible or slow with updates you get "No it is not true people are lying about this i have one and it all works".

This is why people tend to choose for the more expensive products that _do_ have better support ......

And im happy that you guys get your patch in a few weeks, hope one of the mods is wise enough to refer to this thread in _any_ supercard review ......

bow.gif

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd be more inclined to get a Slot-1 Supercard solution that isn't totally dependant on the patching software so this crap won't happen this often..

Though it is weird that all these other newcomers have slot-1 solutions out before the major players in the business..

sandreezy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is why i went with the m3. if it doesnt work, it gets patched within 2 or 3 days. but most work on day 1.

but like mario hoops or star fox japanese versions, i think supercard worked first. but m3 patched the next day

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.